Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Well, first of all let me just say congratulations to Melrose. You are the best defensive team that I've ever seen in high school ball. If anyone had ever told me that any team would hold the Rebels to 7 points, I'd have called you a fool to your face. I guess we see who the true fool is. What a collection of gifted athletes you have. I was really amazed at how you took away so many weapons that we typically use so effectively. Those hard shots on our receivers served their purpose. The emphasis our line had to put on stopping the blitz caused other offensive breakdowns. Your pursuit of our QB took away some of the things we like to do. There is no shame in going as far as you did, playing at the level you play and walking away knowing that you were right there until the end. MHS was the better team on THAT DAY, but I certainly would not want to see Melrose a second time with anything on the line.

Now let me say congratulations to the Rebels! While I said that the Melrose D was the best I've ever seen, I only say that as a compliment to the Maryville offense as it is in my opinion a more commendable feat to hold MHS to 7 points than it is to hold Melrose to 6. Great job on D Maryville. Aside from one miraculous scrambling throw and one broken play, you pitched a shut out. I think that the pressure on the QB kept the passing game down and I'm really glad that QB didn't seem to want to run on his own very much. And to the Maryville offense, I'm proud of the way that you adjusted and took what was given. I never expected to see Cade running the ball that much. But, as always, we do what we have to do at MHS when the game is on the line. Way to go. Great catch Jenkins. Good running AB. Way to play O-line. Way to hang in there and take some for the team Cade. Good job to all the running backs for recognizing and blocking the blitzes. Way to keep going across the middle Ace. Great run down on defense and nice TD Childs. Great pressure from our D. Game of your life Kat. Love your heart Parnell. I'm sure I'm leaving someone out and I'm sorry.

So, as to speculation about the game and coaching decisions etc. I might as well add my two cents. I think that if Melrose had hit the XP, GQ would have been more inclined to kick some field goals later. And, if the kicker was hurt as someone said, I think that we've got a couple of other guys who could line up and do it (Jenkins, Cade, and our Kickoff guy too). I was REALLY surprised that we didn't try any of our trick plays. I kept waiting for one.

All in all, good game. Congrats to both teams and thanks for leaving it all on the field and for giving us something to believe in, cheer for and talk about.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To quote others, let me also say congratulations to Melrose. I feel for you because you were so close, to the golden ball and a lifetime of great memories. One of your kids could have run the field with the ball in 12 seconds to change the outcome. Your, without question one of the best defensive teams that I have ever seen in high school ball. Your physical prowess was what kept you in the game and made our receivers hear footsteps all night with those great savage hits they endured. I am very happy none were hurt. Melrose had some kids banged up as well and #51 played most of the game limping solidified the teams over all toughness. If anyone had ever told me that any team would hold the Rebels to 7 points, I'd have taken a bet with you and laughed all the way to the bank. Trust me, we are excited to win but no one is laughing. I know it is very tough, But hold your heads high you are champions in my view but without the crown that you sought. Great season and good luck in the future.

To my Maryville Red Rebels. You guys showed what a heart of a champion looks like. In the end, MHS was the better team overall that day and played excellent defense when you needed to, like all season. The “D” got very little press this year and even the state championship games depth chart was in error. But as a team you ruled as a cohesive unit, picked each other up and stood a test I have never seen since watching Maryville football. The Maryville Defense stood their ground vs. a larger, more athletic, faster, more physical and maybe more gifted foe. Save for what I’ll call one broken play did pitch a shut out. This year, and deservedly so the Maryville Offence was high powered and seemly un-defensible at times. Sometimes sputtered or came out flat. But like during this game got the job done. Never seen a group of kids take the hits you took and still never stopped going for that extra yard that made the difference. Cade may have been a little off but make no mistake he played like the champion he is. The senior QB, took as much abuse as anyone and made great decisions to pitch, run or eat it. Had he made one mistake it could have been costly. To GQ, the Coaches, Mr. Black & Doc and the trainer staff what you have accomplished this year is again phenomenal! I don’t know how long God will allow this great group of individuals to help develop the charioteer of young men here in Maryville, but we are truly blessed for it and must guard against becoming spoiled or un-grateful for it.

I am proud of the Rebels, your hard work and dedication to the program, the school and the community that I am blessed and honored to be apart of.

Now let me just simply say congratulations to the Rebels!

Congratulations Maryville. Excellent game. I was dissappointed that Melrose lost. I was not dissappointed in the game. NOW THAT'S WHAT A CHAMPIONSHIP GAME OUGHT TO BE LIKE! EVERY FAN STAYED UNTIL THE LAST INT! You couldn't have scripted it any better. I'd like to personally congratulate the Melrose team on a very good year. To think ... this team is basically sophmores and juniors!!!!

Greg Hardy .... outstanding job son! OUTSTANDING! You will be missed at the MLB position. Kudo's to BOTH defenses. Excellent job. Did you guys see the heart of both teams? It's a shame that some one had to lose that contest.

Greg Cooper ... nice running against a stout defense. Looking forward to seeing you come back next year!

DeAngelo Nelson ... great catches in heavy traffic with bodies all over you ... good game son!

Kenny Ingram ... You did NOT ... I repeat .... You did NOT lose that game with your coaching. It's blatently obvious who those young men model themselves after. You have the nucleus in place and the heart of a champion ... keep leading those young men as you have. Your team will return!

Holding Maryville to 7 is fantastic ... absolutely fantastic! I'm flabergasted that Maryville was in the red zone so much and came away with only 1 TD. WOW!

I wish the kicking team could have held #52 out of the backfield to allow Cooper a clear shot on the PAT ... but those are the plays that win these types of defensive battles.

It was the best $10 I've spent in an awfully long time.

Melrose ... you played wonderfully ... hold your heads up, you will be back.

Maryville ... meet Melrose. Melrose ... meet Maryville. Get aquainted. You may be seeing more of each other.

Edited by kwc

Orangemoundwest:

Did you notice what my co-worker and I noticed throughout the game? Where on earth was MONTE WILSON? I searched the sidelines the whole game ... no #14 to be seen. That was a HUGE missing piece of the puzzle. I didn't see him dressed out. HE WAS SEVERELY MISSED. He was a playmaker that they needed on the field. Have you heard why he wasn't there? Did he get hurt in practice or something? You know he would have made a play in the game. Enough to sway the outcome? I don't know. But he was definately missed. It also looked like Maddison's foot was bothering him. I don't think his toe is fully healed. Without Monte in uniform ... he had to go. Have you heard anything?

Man! ... That was a good game!

Edited by kwc

I was rewatching the game last night and I was watching the 4th and 2 play in the 4th quarter and on the tape the ref spots the ball where Cooper's knee landed not where the ball was. I noticed this in the stands on Sat. cause I was right in front of it but just thought I was wrong. This changed the whole momentum of the game. Maryville still won the game and this is nothing against them, but I thought I would throw that out there for thought?

Orangemoundwest:

Did you notice what my co-worker and I noticed throughout the game? Where on earth was MONTE WILSON? I searched the sidelines the whole game ... no #14 to be seen. That was a HUGE missing piece of the puzzle. I didn't see him dressed out. HE WAS SEVERELY MISSED. He was a playmaker that they needed on the field. Have you heard why he wasn't there? Did he get hurt in practice or something? You know he would have made a play in the game. Enough to sway the outcome? I don't know. But he was definately missed. It also looked like Maddison's foot was bothering him. I don't think his toe is fully healed. Without Monte in uniform ... he had to go. Have you heard anything?

Man! ... That was a good game!

825470655[/snapback]

K-Dub:

One of my buddies in the Mound told me he was wearing #7. I don't know why the change in numbers. I tip my hat to Maryvile. They did what they had to to win. It was a ggod game and a real tough loss.

K-Dub:

One of my buddies in the Mound told me he was wearing #7.  I don't know why the change in numbers.  I tip my hat to Maryvile.  They did what they had to to win.  It was a ggod game and a real tough loss.

825470788[/snapback]

#7?

Well ... the pressure that the Maryville D was putting on him when he tried to throw ... every pass was an adventure!

Man ... coach Ingram must feel like he's snakebitten. He's been at Melrose three years and he only has 4 losses for a combined total of 5 points! A 2 point loss at the beginning of the 2002 season to CBHS in the Bridges Kickoff classic. Then in succession ... 1 point loss to Hillsboro in 2002 in the semi-finals, another 1 point loss to Hillsboro again in 2003 in the semi-finals. Now ... again ... another 1 point loss in 2004 in the championship game.

I don't know about you ... but that would drive me crazy. You could tell in the interview after the game ... he lost all compusure and broke down and cried sayin he lost the game for his team. I think he coached as well as he could have. Me myself ... well, I would absolutely go 'postal'! ... Well ... maybe not 'postal' ... but man! ... another 1 point loss! ... Those are the hardest kinds of losses to swallow.

This game will be burnig in the minds of those players and coaches all offseason. How many players do you think the coach will have to 'ROUND UP' for offseason weight training? Absolutely zero! I just hope they don't kill each other in the spring!

Is Kenyatta Fullilove, #8, a senior?