Whats with the refs?

yogibear

What is happening with the refs. Do they need to go to ref school or what? I see a lot of posts about bad calls on coach t and I also see alot of it at the games? Everywhere I have been so far this year the officiating has been terrible. Homecooking has always been around but this year it is totally unbeliveable. They need to call fairly and let the teams decide who wins and not them. They call small hand checks, but totally ignore thrown elbows, trips, and pushes from behind. This kind of play could cost a player a college career, by getting hurt. I pay to watch the teams play, not the refs screw up.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not one to bash the officials, because I have only seen 1 game this year that they were really bad in. The one game that I did see that they were bad, it was terrible; They missed TONS of fouls, walks, etc, and a guy for the other team during the boys game threw the ball, and they didn't call anything.

As I posted in another thread, the refs at our game punished the student section by telling us if we stood up on the floor again(we were not even close to the out of bounds line, we made sure that we stayed way back), we would get kicked out....and all we did was boo bad calls. I didn't know that was against the rules.

I have only seen one DAY of good officiating... 7AA/13AA Challenge was actually pretty well called. They let the girls play and rewarded them by not putting the game in the officials hands. The 2 district games I have seen in 7AA were terrible, nobody going to Jackson Co will do anything with the three there last night, it's like they have it out for certain players or situations. They will call a foul when 3 three players dive to the floor but can't see the MOVING SCREENS, Four Arm Push offs, or they call fouls b/c they assume that is the only way a player would have missed a shot. I saw atleast 5 fouls called on the block were girls arms were straight up with NO BODY contact and the girls would miss but the REF from the other side would make a call that he couldn't see. It is horrible in District 7AA, Somebody should do something about it...

I am not one to bash the officials, because I have only seen 1 game this year that they were really bad in.  The one game that I did see that they were bad, it was terrible;  They missed TONS of fouls, walks, etc,  and a guy for the other team during the boys game threw the ball, and they didn't call anything.

As I posted in another thread, the refs at our game punished the student section by telling us if we stood up on the floor again(we were not even close to the out of bounds line, we made sure that we stayed way back), we would get kicked out....and all we did was boo bad calls.  I didn't know that was against the rules.

825467783[/snapback]

Sure sounds like someone might have lost a game or two!

bb

Maybe when some of these refs get sued for letting our children get hurt, they might decide to call the games more fairly. I know it is hard to see everything, but good grief, all you got to do is call fairly. If our team can't win fairly, then we don't want to win at all. This is suppose to be a sport, not a game where these kids end up disliking the team they play against. Guess we just need to start filming all the games and sending them in to the TSSAA, so they can see for themselves.

The T$$AA and assigning officers are the problem. If any coach or school administrator calls to complain the are assigned the title of trouble maker and when the next crew comes in their attitude is terrible. When the T$$AA starts being concerned with the kids, the "small Games", and fairness the situation will be better.

BOO HOO

825468450[/snapback]

It won't be funny when one of your players gets hurt ! Most teams don't want to win if they have to win with the refs help. Basketball is suppose to be a sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to see who has the better team, NOT a Football game played on a wooden floor. It is the refs job to see that the game is played fairly and don't get too rough, but lately it seems like the refs are causing all the roughness. We, as fans and parents need help in finding out what to do about this situation. Any suggestions?

I would have to agree that the officiating has been less than desireable this season. Part of the problem is that many of the better officials are now working college games and they no longer have the time to work the high school game.

Another problem I see is that officials never work in the same crew from one night to the next. Personally, I feel that the refs should be on crews and work with the same people on a more consistant basis. Working with different people every night is not the answer.

I watched 4 games yesterday. In my opinion, only one of those games was well officiated. In one of the games, a teams coach was standing up most of the time that game action was going on. The problem with that was that he was doing it a good 5 feet outside of the coaching box. This is supposed to be a point of emphasis. The refs totally ignored this. In contrast, I attended a game Friday night in which I saw a coach get T'd up and he only had one foot outside of the coaching box! Inconsistancy is a very bad thing with officials and unfortunately there is way too much of it going on this year.

There are some very good officails out there. I have seen many of them already this season. Unfortunately, I have already seen more poor officals than I would rather see in an entire year.

And yes, I have worn the stripped shirt and blown the whisle before! I know exactly what a difficult job officiating can be.

papatj and baconbreath,

If I had a guess I would say that you were officials. Unfortunately that is the mindset of a lot of the officials. They honestly don't care about making bad calls or calls that change the outcome of the game. They don't care about what they do to these young kids who are giving their all. Then when they call a game awful they gripe about how rude the fans are. Official should take their job more seriously. It is a tough job, but like any other job, if you are not competent you should be find another job. Or at least there should be an evaluation of these so called bad games, with consequences(maybe lost pay to the officials for awful games, not a few bad calls).

Football is coming on will finish up later.

The T$$AA and assigning officers are the problem.  If any coach or school administrator calls to complain the are assigned the title of trouble maker and when the next crew comes in their attitude is terrible.  When the T$$AA starts being concerned with the kids, the "small Games", and fairness the situation will be better.

825468447[/snapback]

Watched a game last week that was as sorry as it can get. Not so much one sided just terrible all together. Both teams over 50 free throws shot and at least 10 lane violations on 2nd shot of one and one. They couldn't even get an inbound possession correct.

Bad thing is district coordinator was watching and not the first note did he write in his notes. Finally in boys game he wrote a few.

As for TSSAA they could care less. As long as they get their big salaries they are happy.

Referees should be announced by name before every game like they do in football. And no ref should be assigned to work their home county. They get paid enough. They can travel like everyone else.