Maryville D-fence

OakridgeCats

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riverdale[/url]' date='Dec 5 2004 - 08:07 PM']DO OR and MAryville play each other next year?  That will be a slobberknocker of a game.

825469354[/snapback]

Are you kidding they have been asked to play but they will only scrimmage and then brag about how they could, would or should beat all these 5A teams, problem is they won't come out and play when it counts. I sure wish they would what an instant rivalry and big financial plus for both teams.

Catscratch...if they drop one 5A team for another then all of Blount County will be angry at them, not that they don't like us anyway. Also it seems to me that if we stepped up and started playing more 5A teams then the stupid remarks like, "You guys think you're so awesome, you should step up to 5A." will just change. Then the private schools will beg to play us, or the 5A teams we didn't play would whine and say that we're not playing hard enough 5A teams. So why don't you just stop whining and wait for Maryville to move up to 5A, when they actually have a fair amount of students.

Why don't you guys win something "this century" and then you might be qualified to come on here and talk trash.  Oak Ridge HAS NOT asked to play Maryville.  I believe the coaches and administration have known better than to ask for something like that over the past several years.  Maryville has regularly handled OR in scrimmages each of the past few years.  By  limiting their play to scrimmages only, OR can always downplay their losses by saying, "it really didn't count, it was just a scrimmage."  Let's at least be honest Catscratch.  I'm just an impartial observer, so I don't have an axe to grind.

825469603[/snapback]

Actually, there has been a lot of discussion about an OR/Maryville matchup. If the the "Virginia Plan" had passed there would have been a game next year between the two teams. The talk about Maryville moving up is pretty unproductive. Maryville would be an instant contender in 5-A. It is a no-brainer decision to stay in 4-A and play in the Knoxville area. Don't think for a minute that Oak Ridge would jump at the chance to play just Knoxville area teams if they could.

Ok, this thread is about Maryville's defense. They should be awesome with the front 4 returning and Lawhorn anchoring the LBs. Having watched the JV and Freshmen, the secondary should be great by the end of season. Maryville has lots of great (tall ) athletes moving up. 4-A teams in the east will have a lot of trouble scoring on them next year.

Edited by boyfromsi

If they work hard in the off season, next year's Maryville D, particularly the front 7, could be one of the greatest in school history.

Voto and Killebrew both starters at one DE this season, Wolfenbarger, Anthony Jackson, Wood, and up coming sophomore star Aaron Douglas will form a very deep DE position.

Defensive tackle will be very good with returning starters Gary Tucker (who in my opinion could be one of the best Maryville DT's ever) and tough, cat-quick Adam Cable. Josh Smith played a lot this season and played very well. Look for maybe some of the upcoming juniors and sophs to add good depth.

At LB, the great play of Valentine and Kimsey in the 'Boro will give us a lot to build off of. Getting leading tackler Jon Lawhon, a sideline to sideline hitting machine, back from injury will further solidify the position. Tanner Caylor and Joseph Miranda will add excellent depth. Look for Jordan Halsne an upcoming soph to be a future star.

At DB look for Tyler Maples, Ryan Reisser, Shiver, Edmiston, Fulton, etc. to fight it out for those positions. I would not be surprised to see Kimsey play there some either.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

If they work hard in the off season, next year's Maryville D, particularly the front 7, could be one of the greatest in school history.

Voto and Killebrew both starters at one DE this season, Wolfenbarger, Anthony Jackson, Wood, and up coming sophomore star Aaron Douglas will form a very deep DE position.

Defensive tackle will be very good with returning starters Gary Tucker (who in my opinion could be one of the best Maryville DT's ever) and tough, cat-quick Adam Cable. Josh Smith played a lot this season and played very well. Look for maybe some of the upcoming juniors and sophs to add good depth.

At LB, the great play of Valentine and Kimsey in the 'Boro will give us a lot to build off of. Getting leading tackler Jon Lawhon, a sideline to sideline hitting machine, back from injury will further solidify the position. Tanner Caylor and Joseph Miranda will add excellent depth. Look for Jordan Halsne an upcoming soph to be a  future star.

At DB look for Tyler Maples, Ryan Reisser, Shiver, Edmiston, Fulton, etc. to fight it out for those positions. I would not be surprised to see Kimsey play there some either.Go Rebs.

825470092[/snapback]

Here are a few additional names to add to the defensive backfield mix next year.

Landon (Cowboy) Hall will force to deal with next year. Add another Clemet and Nick Shields as up coming sophomores. Also, jr to be Josh Burchette.

Here are a few additional names to add to the defensive backfield mix next year.

Landon (Cowboy) Hall will force to deal with next year. Add another Clemet and Nick Shields as up coming sophomores. Also, jr to be Josh Burchette.

825470130[/snapback]

Of all of the upcoming players, I think Shiver is the player to watch. Could be the best DB Maryville has ever put on the field. He impressed me a lot in the OR game.

[quote=boyfromsi,Dec 6 2004 - 09:12 AM]

Of all of the upcoming players, I think Shiver is the player to watch. Could be the best DB Maryville has ever put on the field. He impressed me a lot in the OR game.

825470160[/snapback]

Not sure about ever..... Maryville has had some very good DB's in the past but Steven has a chance to be very good. He has height and good speed that will do him well as a DB but he will have to learn to play the positions. Another advantage for Steven is that he is very phisical. He will definately help next year. Steven came up through the Maryville youth leagues with the current Sophomore group so he is little more advanced than most realize, particularly from the competitive side of the game.