Unbalanced Officiating

coachinhoops

In a game witnessed last night.

Team A pressed and trapped the whole game.

Team B played zone the entire game other than the last 3 minutes of the 4th.

Team A shot 30 free throws.

Team B shot 2.

Team B never reached a 1 and 1 situation the whole game, while team A shot the double bonus in both halves.

It is a shame that the game was a close one even with such a descrepancy in fouls called.

Has anyone seen a larger margin of foul shots? By the way this is not intended to be an excuse post. Just an inquiry about the situation.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team B shot 2. 

Team B never reached a 1 and 1 situation the whole game, while team A shot the double bonus in both halves. 

It is a shame that the game was a close one even with such a descrepancy in fouls called.

Has anyone seen a larger margin of foul shots?  By the way this is not intended to be an excuse post.  Just an inquiry about the situation.

825472130[/snapback]

I saw a 28-3 margin of free throws at a matchup this year. Officiating is really looking ONE sided this year and I don't really like the thought of High School sports being "fixed" just because the refs want that certain team to win. I think the officials should be watched closely.

I saw a 28-3 margin of free throws at a matchup this year. Officiating is really looking ONE sided this year and I don't really like the thought of High School sports being "fixed" just because the refs want that certain team to win. I think the officials should be watched closely.

825472173[/snapback]

Thing is, you can't do anything about it.

I saw a game last week where the head ref was a guy who had a son at one of the schools about three years ago...even though they won a state championship, he was bitter his son didn't start over a junior who eventually signed D-I and is now starting as a redshirt sophomore. (In other words, his son was simply behind a better player) He managed to personally call seven of the eight fouls (and I thought almost all were blown) against that team's two best players, including a stretch where he called three in 35 seconds. Went from a double-digit game in the first to being a nailbiter the rest of the way.

I don't think refs cheat very often, though they're often incompetent IMO. This was a case of both. But the thing is, there's nothing that can be done about it.

Team B shot 2. 

Has anyone seen a larger margin of foul shots?  By the way this is not intended to be an excuse post.  Just an inquiry about the situation.

825472130[/snapback]

You would think that TSSAA would have some sort of control over this. I have seen some very lopsided game called. The refs need to remember this is for all the kids not just one team. I think this is a good post and would like to see some more imput on this one.

The problem is TSSAA. The area supervisors watch this crap go on and do nothing about it. At a ballgame the only person who is not responsible for their actions is the ref. Sending tapes does no good, blackballing a ref from your game only makes them mad and you will still get them in district play.

We put on AAU tournaments in our area for our school and we have refs that we like using because we want them to let the teams play but keep it under control because most of our tournaments are playdays, getting the teams ready for substate and state. We won't let this one ref call beause he is a real jerk during regular season, so he always fouls my daughter out. Most of the time he calls all 5 fouls even when she is running point bring the ball down court against a press he will call a charge when the girl is running beside her reaching for the ball. I've sent tapes to them protesting this guy and emails. Even the other refs says he has it out for me thru my daughter.

With 3 officials on the court, there really shouldn't be too many blown calls. What I've seen that disturbs me is the referees wanting a piece of the spotlight. I umpire and in a well umpired game, you shouldn't even know we're there. Refs should just blow the whistle and make the call. They don't have to stare down the kid who committed the infraction trying to get the T too. That's baiting. And if hand checks are let go in the first half, they need to let them go at the end of the game too. A tipped ball around the basket and 3 guys hit the floor doesn't earn a whistle and then a hand check is called on the next possession. Stuff like that's what bothers me and the amount of traveling that is allowed.

TW, saw Fred I make a call alst night where a player drove in made the layup, a foul was called, the shot did not count but yet the player was given 2 shots. It was only the 6th team foul. Did not have an affect on the outcome . The other 2 refs after the 1st FT shot was made even called a conference, the other 2 came out of the conference with that blank look on their face, but nothing was changed.

I know its a girls game but last night in what was a very very physical game between Central and Campbell County the Lady Cougars shot 31 free throws, the lady Bobcats shot 2, it was one of the worst display of officiating I saw not just fouls or hand checks, but all of the walks and carries they allowed the teams to get away with. It was a little bit better in the boys game, they let them play in 1st half and of course called everything in th 4th qtr. Glad to see the Bobcats win the game.

Is it possible for a team to foul 8 times without the other team fouling? Yes. Is it likely? No.

I think what all coaches, players, and fans are looking for is consistency. Just try to call the game the same for each team competing and the problem will be resolved. Too many times officials make calls based on what they view as the norm...For example if a team or player is really supposed to be good I think that influences the way the game is officiated. Case in point. If a DI player get's his shot blocked by a marginal player what do you think the call is going to be nine times out of ten? Of coarse...Foul. Reverse the role and the DI player is blocking the shot? nine times out of ten it is a clean block.

I agree with the earlier post that said the best officiated games are the ones where you never even knew the officials were there.

I also do not understand why there is no accountability for referees other than an area supervisor. There needs to be a grading system with coaches input to keep the officials sharp. Kind of like the restaurant comment cards just to be used as feedback.

I would be interested in seeing how many games are played where both coaches shared the same opinion of the officials. I would be willing to be that more often than not, both would think they were not good... :lol:

One of the biggest reasons there is not as much accountability is because you don't have a stable of qualfied applicants beating down the door to become high school basketball refs. There are a large number of high school refs that have no place calling a high school basketball game, and its not always that TSSAA doesn't know the refs are bad its that there is nothing they can really do about it. They don't have a good qualified replacement waiting in the wings.

Refs allowing walking all game, and then decide to call a walk on the player in the 3rd or 4th Quarter for doing exaclty what he has been doing all game? How did it just now "become" a walk. Did the rules change midway through the game. What about the handchecking that has been allowed all game that all the sudden "becomes" a foul in the 4th Quarter? Those are some of the things that really get to me because that is not "missing a call". Refs are going to miss calls, its unavoidable. The problem is when they start to "take over games" and start to call things that have been allowed all game. Be consistent!