Unbalanced Officiating

coachinhoops

I THINK THAT THE ADMINISTRATORS OF THE HOME TEAMS SHOULD BE GIVEN AN EVALUATION FORM FOR EACH OFFICIAL AND AFTER THE GAMES THEY FILL IT OUT,MAKE A COPY AND SEND IT TO THE AREA SUPERVISORS AND THE TSSAA.AFTER SO MANY BAD EVALUATIONS,THEY GET SUSPENDED 2 GAMES.THATS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A COACH GETS 2 T'S IN A GAME.OH AND DONT FORGET,THEY SHOULD BE FINED LIKE THE COACHES ARE.THE TSSAA IS A DICTATORSHIP.THEY WANT ALL THE MONEY,POWER ,AND CONTROL.MOST AREA SUPERVISORS ARE JUST PEOPLE WHO ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO GET INTO THE TSSAA BIG MONEY JOBS SOMEDAY.WEST TN REFS ARE BETTER THAN MIDDLE TN REFS BY FAR.

825476261[/snapback]

i agree that all they want is money and power in the tssaa.THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE SCHOOLS,JUST A PAYCHECK.SOME COACHES ARE DOOMED BEFORE the game starts.if you are known for getting t's,they know it.THE REFS AND SUPERVISORS WILL TALK ABOUT YOU AT THEIR OFFICIALS MEETINGS.THEY WILL PURPOSELY DO THINGS TO SET A COACH OFF.this is not right.they have too much power.all schools should boycott the tssaa and start a new organization consisting of school administrators and retired coaches with very litttle money involved.THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ET THE TSSAA TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT-HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS-IN THEIR WALLETS!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right hit them in the pocketbook and take that great amount of $65 away from them. You can make more working 4 pee wee games at the local rec. As for the coaches they don't pay the $250 the school does and how much of a stipend are most head coaches getting. Officiating is tough and just like some coaches are better than others, some players are better than others, some officials are better. That is just the way it is. It is always easy to blast the officials and come up with all of these solutions but yet almost no one wants to do there job including me.

Is it possible for a team to foul 8 times without the other team fouling?  Yes. Is it likely? No.

I think what all coaches, players, and fans are looking for is consistency.  Just try to call the game the same for each team competing and the problem will be resolved.  Too many times officials make calls based on what they view as the norm...For example if a team or player is really supposed to be good I think that influences the way the game is officiated.  Case in point.  If a DI player get's his shot blocked by a marginal player what do you think the call is going to be nine times out of ten?  Of coarse...Foul.  Reverse the role and the DI player is blocking the shot?  nine times out of ten it is a clean block. 

I agree with the earlier post that said the best officiated games are the ones where you never even knew the officials were there. 

I also do not understand why there is no accountability for referees other than an area supervisor.  There needs to be a grading system with coaches input to keep the officials sharp.  Kind of like the restaurant comment cards just to be used as feedback. 

I would be interested in seeing how many games are played where both coaches shared the same opinion of the officials.  I would be willing to be that more often than not, both would think they were not good... :)

825474422[/snapback]

I agree about the best games are where you don't know the refs are there....refs should not be the reason for a win or a loss....our team had a terribly reffed game last Friday and then the game Tues was such a remarkable difference it wasn't even funny. Consistency is what it takes....every ref is going to blow a call occassionally but you don't notice it with the good ones as much because of the level of consistency in their calls.....the bad thing is that the good ones seem to be in the minority.

You are right hit them in the pocketbook and take that great amount of $65 away from them. You can make more working 4 pee wee games at the local rec. As for the coaches they don't pay the $250 the school does and how much of a stipend are most head coaches getting. Officiating is tough and just like some coaches are better than others, some players are better than others, some officials are better. That is just the way it is. It is always easy to blast the officials and come up with all of these solutions but yet almost no one wants to do there job including me.

825476352[/snapback]

$65 FOR 3 HOURS WORK IS DARN GOOD MONEY.and not all schools will pay the $250,they make the coaches.coaches would not have to be t'd up as often if the refs would call the game consistently.if it is a foul ,call it.if it is a walk,call it.its not that hard.if you cant do it,then get out of officiating.LIKE I SAID,SOME COACHES ARE DOOMED BEFORE THE GAME STARTS.THE ONLY REASON REFS GET BLASTED IS BECAUSE THEY DESERVE IT!

Hey Rebel,

Look at my post I said I wouldn't do it. I am playing devils advocate. The better refs are working college games because the pay is so low. Include travel time and gas and $65 is a joke. Football makes more and so does girls volleyball and in my opinion basketball seems to be the toughest. Most schools pay the $250 maybe not all but I am sure there coaching supplement is more than officials make.

To start with, I did not see the game you are talking about. I did see one two weeks ago that sounds very similar. It was at the NAIA collegiate level. The home team had a 17 point lead at the half. The visiting team pressed in the second half and ended up going to the line roughly 24 times in that half alone. The home team shot aprrox. 4 free throws in the second half. As you can guess, the home team lost. Anyway, long story short, I talked to the home teams coach a few days later. Although upset right after the game at the despairity, he stated that in most cases, the aggressor is more likely to get away with more fouls. Basically stated that they could call a foul on every play but if you were playing aggressive they let you slide a little more. His team did not play aggressive in the second half on either end and tended to reach in and be out of posisition, thus fouls were called. They also turned the ball over a lot and led to silly fouls on contested layups. Don't know if this applies to the game that you saw, but it does make some sense to me.

Hey Rebel,

Look at my post I said I wouldn't do it. I am playing devils advocate. The better refs are working college games because the pay is so low. Include travel time and gas and $65 is a joke. Football makes more and so does girls volleyball and in my opinion basketball seems to be the toughest. Most schools pay the $250 maybe not all but I am sure there coaching supplement is more than officials make.

825476395[/snapback]

i know you two are having a deep discussion on this topic,but here is an unbiased opinion:

if your not at a big school(4a or 5a),then most supplements are around $1500.over 12 months thats $125,before taxes.say $100 a month,thats $25 a week.on average a coach will put in 20 hours a week.thats alittle over $1 an hour.refs dont have taxes taken out and will make $130 in to nights which is about 7 hours work counting travel time.that means a little over $18 per hour.which is better?now who can afford to pay the fine?

$1500 OVER 5 MONTHS WHICH IS 4 IN SEASON AND 1 FOR SUMMER CAMP DOING SOMETHING THEY ENJOY IS ALSO PRETTY GOOD.THEY ALSO HAVE PERKS SUCH AS FREE CLOTHING AND SHOES . ASK ONE OF THE GUYS IN YOUR AREA THAT YOU KNOW WILL BE SQUARE WITH YOU THAT OFFICIATES AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY MAKE YOU WILL BE SUPRISED AFTER EVERYTHING THEY PAY OUT WHICH IS STATE DUES,LOCAL DUES. UNIFORMS,SHOES, CAMP FEES, AND GAS WHAT THEY CLEAR. ALSO MOST COUNTIES NOW TURN IN A W-9 FORM ON OFFICIALS IF YHEY MAKE OVER $600 IN A YEAR FROM THERE SCHOOL DISTRICT SO THEY BETTER TURN IT IN.

I know our Jr. Pro league pays $25 a game and we have 6 games every Saturday with TSSAA refs. That's an easy $150 compared to a high school game! I agree that all officials earn every penny they are compensated for what they have to put up with. At the same time, there should be an evaluation process so that the refs know what they have to work on and as a means for selecting tournament officials.

Hey Rebel,

825476395[/snapback]

$65 per night X 3 nights a week X 16 weeks = $3,120. If the refs work 4 games a week then that is and extra 16 X $65 for a total of $4,160 which is definately more than alot of head coaches make. thumb

Refs make just as much as the average coach yet the coaches are the only ones that have to be accountable.

For the most part our officiating here in Middle Tennesse I think has been pretty good. I wonder if all these people having problems are having problems with new guys or is it the same refs you have had for a while. Because most of the officials we have here have been here for a while, which I think is a big plus. I do wish sometimes late in games when the game is in hand some refs would swallow the whistle. But like one ref said earlier this year, "a foul is a foul."

$65 per night X 3 nights a week X 16 weeks = $3,120.  If the refs work 4 games a week then that is and extra 16 X $65 for a total of $4,160 which is definately more than alot of head coaches make.  thumb

Refs make just as much as the average coach yet the coaches are the only ones that have to be accountable.

825476521[/snapback]

Lets see where can I start. $10 per night for gas x 3 nights x 16 weeks = $ 480 . If ref works 4 games a week then that is an extra $160, 480 + 160 = 640. 2 pair of pants a year $120, one pair of shoes $110, 2 shirts $60, = $290. TSSAA fee $50, Association fee $70, = $120. Basketball camp $175. For a grand total of $1225 that officials have to spend, using your figure of 4160 minus 1225 equals 2935. Lets take this figure divide it by game and travel hours. Lets say 3 hours for 2 games,and a average travel time both ways one hour and thirty minutes, thats 4 1/2 hours a night times 64 games equals 288 hours. So lets divide 2935 dollars by 288 hours and we get $ 10.20 an hour. So I would say we are getting rich officiating. This does not count being away from your family.