where are all the non maryville fans at?

ReBeLfAnAtIc

Bigcatt2

Derek Hunt is the favorite for the quarterback position right now.He will be a junior. He knows the offense like the back of his hand. Derek is a pretty good athlete. Derek need to get bigger and stronger. He is 5'11 150 lbs right now. I would like to see him at 170 lbs next season. Derek will have a fight on his hands though. Brent Burnett has a great arm and will push Derek hard. Taylor Akins has a strong arm and Johnny Weigand is a great athlete. I look for some good competition between these young men.

Quarles must think these guys can do the job because he moved Katlin Kimsey and Steven Shiver to other positions. Those guys were pretty good quarterbacks themselves.In matter of fact the coaches were thinking very hard about starting Shiver at quarterback instead of Burnett on the freshmen team. Shiver is a great athlete and was more valuable at receiver and defensive back. Shiver will be a star at Maryville. Everyone knows how well Kimsey is playing a linebacker.

825476502[/snapback]

Why does the name Brent Burnette sound familiar to this ole Ftn. City boy. What Middle School did he go to in the Maryville City School System.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

newman/ted williams is bitter because everywhere he has coached the team has been pitiful. carter,clinton and halls. all those teams have been pitiful when newman/ted williams has been there because newman/ted williams can't coach. you know the kids can't repect a 5'4 midget who never played high school football. bigcatt can't stand maryville because maryville owns his central bobcats. maryville is 12-2 vs central since 1995.

Correct you are Rebelfanantic. But I wouldn't call it hate in the truest sense of the word. And rest assured I am the happiest man in the world when the Rebels get beat. Thats not to say I can't sleep at night becasue they won another gold ball. I am generally a happy person. But on the rare ocassion that Maryville gets beat I am over joyed to say the least.

Maryville folks should be happy that they are significant enough to be envied by all of Tn. football and that most want to see them fall. Most E. Tn. football fans would be overjoyed if they read in the paper tommorrow that Maryville was involved in some kind of recruiting scandel. But hey if you weren't such a poerhouse no one would care. No one cares what is going on at Halls, Carter, South Doyle, etc... because in the football scheme of things they are insignificant.

Now I have a few questions.

1. What is Maryvilles record since 95 vs. the other teams in the region? Has anyone beaten them more than Central?

2. Who was the last region opponent to beat Maryville? What year?

3. Where did the Burnette kid come from? Did he go to a Maryville City Middle School? That name sounds so familiar.

I will not deny Maryvilles greatness. But I don't have to like it!

rebelfanatic,

your personally attacking a local football coach because you think i am him is amusing. i'm not sure who the guy you're referring to is, but i would ledger a large amount of counterfeit that if you gave the coaching staff that he works for the same kids that GQ deals with that they would easily win a state title, probably by a bigger margin than 7-6. that's embarassing.

Disregard question #1.  Just went back and read your previous post.  So since 95 Halls is the only other team that has beaten Maryville twice.  Halls won in 95 plus one other time since then.

825478411[/snapback]

That's it....our other losses since are in the playoffs. Bigcatt, I don't believe you HATE us, but like you said, you do like to see us beat. No problem with that. We like kitty meat on occasion too.

You're right about feeling good about being envied and hated....we do like it. I say this all the time...I'll say it again...the warmest fire known to man is your rivals hatred/envy. It keeps us warm at nite... thumb

That's it....our other losses since are in the playoffs.  Bigcatt, I don't believe you HATE us, but like you said, you do like to see us beat.  No problem with that.  We like kitty meat on occasion too.

You're right about feeling good about being envied and hated....we do like it.  I say this all the time...I'll say it again...the warmest fire known to man is your rivals hatred/envy.  It keeps us warm at nite... thumb

825478419[/snapback]

Yep newman. We'll all be so embarrassed as we parade thru town Saturday mornin, holdin up that big gold ball...what a pathetic loser you are. no team you coach could score 1/2 point on Melrose.

Edited by Rebelyell!!

I am not a supporter of Maryville, but They once again beat a team with more athletes.  GQ is one of the best if not the best around.  They lose alot on offense, but they stopped a real fast Melrose team with much more speed.  The old saying offense fills the stands, defense wins games.  Almost the enitre defense is BACK, and they will still fill the stands.

825475949[/snapback]

Leonard,

While I very much respect your football opinions, I must digress on "Maryville is not as athletic as the teams they beat for the State Championship" myth. I have watched Maryville play for the past 3 years (as I as I have lived here). To me they are one of the most athletic teams in the state. Yes, Melrose at some positions had better athletes, but as a whole, Maryville matched up with them pretty well. Take the defensive backfield for example, I don't know any team in the state that consistently puts 6 plus foot players who are very fast more than Maryville does. This is a myth put out mainly by Maryville fans who are well-schooled in the Vince Dooley school of poor-mouthing. That said, instead of the other E. Tenn schools trying to cut them down, those schools need to rise to the occasion and find a way to beat them; good luck with that.

Bigcatt2

Maryville lost to Halls and Central in 2000. They were part of Maryville's 0-4 start. Maryville beat Halls in the playoffs later that year. Central beat Maryville in the 99 playoffs. Halls whipped Maryville in 1996 33-6.

Newman

A lot of people love to bring up the tuition thing but Maryville has always had tuition students. No one was complaining about tuition students from 1988-1995 when Maryville had several 5-5 seasons. Maryville was 5-5 in 1989,1990,1993 and 1996. Those Rebel teams had a few tuition students. Maryville went 20 seasons between state titles 1978-1998. I just want to know where was all the outrage for tuition students back then? When a team starts winning the rival fans start whining. For you to think Halls coaching staffis as good as Maryville's is laughable.

Boysfromi

I think George Quarles and his staff are the best. You do bring up a great point. Maryville does have very good athletes. Maryville has always had good skill players. It seems like every class has the tall rangy receivers and defensive backs. Maryville even had good skill players on their late 80s and early 90s teams that struggled. Maryville struggled back then against teams like Halls,Sevier County and Cleveland because they were so much more physical than Maryville. Those schools had good weight training programs. Tim Hammontree is the guy who lobbied for a training center at Maryville. Maryville finally built one in 2000. Between George Quarles and his staff,Maryville's strength and conditioning and the good athletes Maryville has you can see why Maryville is a great program. A lot of people say Maryvile isn't athletic because they don't crank out 5 D1 prospects every year. Maryville cranks out a ton of D2 and D3 players. Interest is at an all time high at Maryville.

Rebelyell

I agree it does feel good to have teams envious of Maryville. I never hated Cleveland in the mid 90s but I sure envied them. I was wishing Maryville could be as good as Cleveland. I remember watching those Cleveland teams in awe. I went to Nashville to watch those teams win state titles. I thought at that time Maryville would never win a state title. I remember telling my nephew in 1996 when I took him to Nashville to watch the state championship games. "Maryville will never win a state title" The funny thing is Maryville went to Nashville the next 2 seasons. Was a state runner up in 1997 then state champions in 1998. My nephew was a player on both those teams. He gives me a rough time to this day about me making that statement. It is amazing what a great coaching staff,a great training facility,community support,good feeder programs and support from the school administration can do.