Soddy-Daisy vs. Ooltewah

owlsfan10

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'

You are right...These guys are pretty tall, but they are not big. They are really not built. The 6'8"  guy is almost a bean pole. I bet he doesn't come close to weighing over 150. Yet, they are still talented inside. And most of the other big guys they have are not there star players or even pay that much of a role. They do have good gaurd size though, something Ooltewah lacks.

825477360[/snapback]

Well, I wondered. I don't know if I can make it to the game tomorrow night... we'll have to see. But with SD only winning games by small margins, I had a feeling that these guys were not beasts.

If that is true, that they are not real players, it might make it tough for them to contend with OHS who has some pretty athletic guys.

I would agree that OHS has no size at guard, but the Brown kid is quick, can jump and plays a very mean defense. He is very limited on his outside shot, as he always has been. I'm not quite sure how it ever goes in with that side spin, but occasionally he can get hot.

Foster is more of a bulldozer... but he hustles and will not back down from anyone. He can put the ball in the hole on occasion, but is very inconsistent.

Their best outside shooter appears to be the Murray kid (a junior), but he also lacks size and is not very quick. Another kid with a lot of heart, and I like to watch him play because he really puts forth the effort.

I really think this game may be close... OHS cannot be overconfident or Soddy Daisy may surprise them.

well, well, well... i see some good posting.

i don't think the size is going to matter when it comes to guard play. the general role of the guards is to a) shoot, or :P pass. the ability to execute these two functions isn't dictated by size.

darden is a bean pole and crawford completing soddy's post pair i don't think will match up well with the versatile c. white, and the inside presence of curtis.

mcneil can play, no doubt, but i have a feeling he will be contained by the athletic brown. should definitely be a wonderful matchup to unfold.

i'd say they are even in the shooting department. soddy has rende, and ooltewah features murray, and foster if he gets hot. don't underestimate critter, he can shoot.

but it will be a wonderful matchup at the barn. but, i say ooltewah edges this one

homestanding owls 70

traveling trojans 64

just a question to pose... what if there is no school tomorrow??? if that happens, the game would be postponed to another date. wouldn't that prolong the anxiety.

well, well, well... i see some good posting.

i don't think the size is going to matter when it comes to guard play. the general role of the guards is to a) shoot, or :D pass. the ability to execute these two functions isn't dictated by size.

darden is a bean pole and crawford completing soddy's post pair i don't think will match up well with the versatile c. white, and the inside presence of curtis.

mcneil can play, no doubt, but i have a feeling he will be contained by the athletic brown. should definitely be a wonderful matchup to unfold.

i'd say they are even in the shooting department. soddy has rende, and ooltewah features murray, and foster if he gets hot. don't underestimate critter, he can shoot.

but it will be a wonderful matchup at the barn.  but, i say ooltewah edges this one

homestanding owls 70

traveling trojans 64

just a question to pose... what if there is no school tomorrow??? if that happens, the game would be postponed to another date. wouldn't that prolong the anxiety.

825477468[/snapback]

Well, that was a thought today, but I don't think it will be a problem now. Its not even raining anymore and it is only suppost to be few showers tomorrow. And I am sure every player on both teams are ready to play this game.

Don't underestimate the outside shooting of soddy. They have Rende but they also have McAlpin and Atchley coming off the bench. Both of those guys can light it up also. Their inside play is solid. Billy may be skinny but he can handle his own. it's kinda hard to shoot over and get rebounds over someone that tall no matter how skinny they are. they other post guys hold their own very well also!

Again, I cannot speak from having seen Soddy play, but when I looked up their roster, they were not little guys... a pretty impressive list 6'3"; 6'4"; 6'5"; 6'5"; 6'6"; and 6'8".  Doesn't look too tiny to me. 

Man, how much one year can make a difference.  Where did all these guys come from?  Are these big guys playing?  If so, they should dominate people inside. 

825476864[/snapback]

This is exactly what i have been saying since last year. New coach bringing out the talent in the school!! that is the difference. no one believed us last year when we said that some of the best players in the school were playing church ball cuz they didn't understand the situation that was goin on at the school. the thing is that has been goin on for at least the last 6-7 years!

This is exactly what i have been saying since last year. New coach bringing out the talent in the school!! that is the difference. no one believed us last year when we said that some of the best players in the school were playing church ball cuz they didn't understand the situation that was goin on at the school. the thing is that has been goin on for at least the last 6-7 years!

825477772[/snapback]

Well, tonight will tell everyone. Clearly, Soddy Daisy had nothing last year, but I can see how kids can come out of the woodwork when a new coach arrives on the scene. To improve this much means an awful lot of talent sitting somewhere.

Were all these kids at Soddy last year, or have they received some new blood as well?

I'll be interested in seeing the final outcome tonight. We certainly will have a better feel for where these two teams stand after the battle in Ooltewah.

I know that Ooltewah has Courtney White and the other good post player inside. But what else do they have, who are their shooters and other key players besides these two? As well who do they have coming off the bench. I am going to make it out Friday to see this game.

825477398[/snapback]

They have Chris Foster and Murray? at the wings and Brandon Brown at point as well as Curtis Porter coming off the bench to relieve Westbrook at the low post. With the exception of Russel McNeil (and he probably wouldn't as a sophmore) I don't think any of SD's players would start at Ooltewah this season.

Edited by denlron

825477772[/snapback]

If you knew anything, the new coach didn't bring out any new talent several of the kids on that team that are new this year (ricketts, atchley) wanted to play last year but their parents wouldn't let them play for a woman. And that woman drove McNeil home from practice every day until his mother made him quit. I can assure you that Corey Bush shouldn't have anything bad to say about the old coach, or Ryan Goodwin, or anyone else who actually played for her. What happened up there in my opinion was a bunch of rednecks couldn't stand the fact that a woman was winning at basketball while the football team stunk. So over the last 3 years they began the process of removing her.

Well, tonight will tell everyone.  Clearly, Soddy Daisy had nothing last year, but I can see how kids can come out of the woodwork when a new coach arrives on the scene.  To improve this much means an awful lot of talent sitting somewhere.

Were all these kids at Soddy last year, or have they received some new blood as well?

I'll be interested in seeing the final outcome tonight.  We certainly will have a better feel for where these two teams stand after the battle in Ooltewah.

825477823[/snapback]

All of these kids played last year except McNeil, ricketts and atchley but they were all sophmores. Year older and little bigger this year. They should be fairly fundamentaly sound as they had good coaching as sophmores.