Soddy-Daisy vs. Ooltewah

owlsfan10

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my assessment of the game tonight:

Soddy had a couple of kids sink a few threes to keep it close for awhile. The McNeill kid is touigh and to think he is a sophomore... he will have some colleges calling on him. His technical was uncalled for... in Foster's face all the way down the court and the ref waited for a bit but he wouldn't quit, so the ref t'd him up.

Soddy had no answer for Curtis ???, who dominated in the paint. Once White returned to the game, he helped raise OHS's athleticism -- my count was 10 pts and 5 rebounds in the 3rd quarter alone. I also thought that Brown and surprisingly, Murray had good games. Murray shot well from outside. I understand from big Baker that B.J. Sanders was injured in the jv game and unable to play... this kid would have made a difference as well.

As for the refs... I wouldn't call it one-sided. White had three fouls by the four minute mark and sat out the rest of the first half. I believe that alone allowed Soddy to stay with OHS in the first half. Though I don't think the refs were trying to call one way or the other, OHS probably got a slight advantage because of some of the calls late in the first half, but in the second half it was all Ooltewah.

I would say that the McNeill kid is tough and one on one, he and Brown would have a time of it. This kid is a real player. But Ooltewah had just too much for Soddy after that. They were big, but Ooltewah had way too many second shots.

I must admit, I was expecting more, based on everything I had read about Soddy. In fact, the only reason I went to the game was because of the pre-game hype. One other thing... I would give a huge advantage to the Soddy student section, which seemed to be twice as large as Ooltewah's on OHS's home court. Shame on Ooltewah for not bringing their fans out.

First of all, there are 4 "church ballers" on the soddy daisy roster and 3 of them get considerable playing time. One of them, Eric Atchley, is one of the reasons they stayed in the game during the 3rd quarter. Rickett's didn't have that great of a game, it just seemed like his shots weren't falling and he got some good looks but hey it happens, that's basketball! also, i don't think this proves anything about "church ballers" not being as good as "real ballers"! give me a break. Soddy's team got beat by ooltewah's team!! by the way, these guys are now playing high school ball so we can quit callin them "church ballers".

Second of all, the refs were absolutely horrible!! both ways! i think the worst call was the foul at the end of the half. i mean give me a break. it was senseless to call that, it wasn't even on a shot, it was on a rebound! i understand that made no real difference in the game but it just showed how horrible these guys were.

Third of all, Russel McNeill does not have an attitude problem. he was pumped about this game and let his emotions get the better of him. give the kid a break!

Fourth of all, I wasn't too impressed with white. i was more impressed with #42, Porter maybe?? he was a beast downlow and could not be denied.

Fifth of all, what was up with the overrated chant? not many people other than soddy fans really think soddy is good so how can you chant overrated? save that for a brainerd, cleveland, bradley, etc. the teams that are considered to be some of the best in the area.

My assessment of the game: Great high school basketball game until the fourth quarter! The game was tight basically the whole way and when ooltewah come out smoking in the 3rd quarter soddy stayed right with them, trading baskets. i think the stalling method (as much as i hated it) used at the end of the 3rd quarter was a crucial scheme that ooltewah used to regain advantage. they were up by 10 at one point in the 3rd quarter but soddy cut it to 5 and ooltewah stalled for 2 1/2 minutes until the very end of the 3rd quarter. the 4th quarter was all ooltewah and soddy looked pretty ugly. i was proud of the way they played until that 4th quarter. this could have been a great, close game but in that 4th quarter soddy could not get back on defense or execute on offense. i think the next game will be a lot closer and will be a better game as a whole b/c soddy has 2 more monthes to get a lil more mature and come together as a team. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

Soddy had no answer for Curtis ???, who dominated in the paint.  Once White returned to the game, he helped raise OHS's athleticism -- my count was 10 pts and 5 rebounds in the 3rd quarter alone.  I also thought that Brown and surprisingly, Murray had good games.  Murray shot well from outside.  I understand from big Baker that B.J. Sanders was injured in the jv game and unable to play... this kid would have made a difference as well.

Curtis Porter I believe.

Hot Sauce,

On the foul at the end of the half, Ooltewah was in the Double Bonus when the over the back call was made. Any foul after 10, except for a player control foul, they get to shoot 2 free throws. The difference this time was that the foul was called with no time left on the clock, even though the whistle was blown with a fraction of a second left in the period. Deep Ball can say the same thing. I'm not saying its right or wrong, just the call that was made.

On White, he picked up 3 fouls in the 1st 4 minutes, that severely limited his effectiveness. He did provide a spark in the 3rd though (8 points in the quarter. Porter has the capability to pick up his play, but sometimes gets lazy. He can play with most of the big men in this town (Little being the main exception of the ones he sturggles with, but who doesn't). I thought one of the differences in the game was free throw shooting, This was clearly Ooltewah's best night at the line this season, and also, Ooltewah's defense, Soddy-Daisy struggles with getting the ball into their shooter's hands with the box & 1 on McNeil.

Edited by thorough97

6' 8", 190 is skinnier than ME!  Wow!

825478850[/snapback]

grad, i am glad you are back to your owls posting part time job here on coacht. we are now blessed with a higher intelligence of wisdom, unlike some of this laura wood jibberish that has surfaced in the last two pages.