McCallie Vs. Baylor

ghetto meadow

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right Chattcity.  I must be "crazy" because I am only making my predictions off of factual results.  Splitalny beat Smith last year in the McCallie Invit., but you are right that is poor evidence to base predictions off of.

And taking into acount the results of the Soddy vs McCallie match, the Baylor vs. McCallie match should be a blow-out.  Baylor embarrassed Soddy this year (they are having a down year, not taking a cut at them; all Baylor fans and wrestlers have huge respect for this program) and Soddy just beat McCallie.  But becuase of the intensity and coaching strategy that goes into the Baylor vs McCallie match, I will say that the match will be closer than one would expect when comparing the results of the matchs against this common opponent.  Also Connell seems to not wrestle his actual lineup until the least possible moment in the season and that usually is the Baylor vs. McCallie match, but my prediction still stands: Baylor will beat McCallie this year very solidly this year.

825528404[/snapback]

I agree attack. You know that old saying about the only thing certain in life being death and taxes? Well, you can add this to that short list of certainties for the year 2005: Baylor will beat McCallie. Too many stud ponys in that Red Raider corrall. I just wish some of these coaches ( mostly football) would check their egos at the door and get all the high schools back together playing each other . As a member of the wrestling public, I'd pay good money to see a Franklin/Baylor matchup in state duals ( no disrespect to Bradley, but now that Franklin has a 103, the football players are out and Joe Oddo is in their lineup I think Franklin is a stronger team than it was early in the season when Bradley won by a narrow margin).

Edited by BuckLateral

well, congralations to franklin for getting a great squad at the end of the year and also it is wonderful for them to receive a 103. coaches at franklin have that team ready to upset bradley. also what about the mccallie weights and who is thier lightweights or do we have to weight til friday

Edited by littlebeast5

Here's a good "example" of what can happen with a BIG rivaly like this one,,, even BC-Cleveland or MBA-Ryan...

(Congrats to RMC who probably wet his pants)

Eagles’ victory in final match secures state title

By Corey Clark

Staff Writer

corey.clark@gwinnettdailypost.com

MACON — It was exactly how a state championship should be decided.

Two fierce rivals. Two state powerhouses.

And one final match to decide it all.

Collins Hill’s Clay Gray narrowly beat Parkview’s Matt Stewart 7-6 in the last match of the night to lift the Eagles to a 29-23 victory in the championship of the State Duals tournament at the Macon Centreplex on Saturday.

It is the first State Duals title for the storied Collins Hill program, which had finished second, third and second the past three years.

“It feels good,” Collins Hill head coach Cliff Ramos said. “It actually feels a little better (than I thought it would). Because I always say the big tournament of the year is the last one, and that’s how I’ve always looked at it, but now that we’ve won this it feels pretty good.”

It feels great to Gray, who came up with the decisive victory over Stewart, who was wrestling up a class.

“I wanted the state championship, my team wanted the state championship,” Gray said. “We worked hard all year, we put in so much time.

“And I had to do it. I couldn’t let them down.”

Even if Gray had lost to Stewart, it’s not certain Parkview, the defending state duals champion, would’ve won the title. There is a complex tiebreaker in place in case two teams tie at the end of 14 matches, and after the match neither coach was 100 percent sure who was in line to win had that occurred.

But thanks to Gray, it didn’t matter.

“That’s what everybody wants,” Gray said. “Everybody wants the ball in the last quarter. Everybody wants that game-winning shot.”

And Gray got it on Saturday.

The match actually couldn’t have started any better for the Eagles.

After Ben Hoppenbrauwer defeated Montrell Waddell at 145 to give Collins Hill an early 3-0 lead, Nick Flaherty followed up with a stunning win at 152.

Parkview decided to move its best wrestler, defending state champion Josh Matlack, up in class to wrestle Flaherty in the second match of the finals.

It lasted all of 30 seconds.

Early in the first period, Flaherty made a lateral move on the defending champ, slammed him on his back and pinned him seconds later to spark a wild celebration by the Collins Hill wrestlers and fans.

“It was the luckiest thing I’ve ever done,” Flaherty said. “I’m pretty sure he would’ve beaten me nine out of 10 times, but I got lucky in the big one.”

It was just the second loss of the season for Matlack.

“It surprised me a little bit,” Ramos said of the decision to move Matlack up. “And I’m glad they did. Actually they caught me off guard a little bit because it was probably a good move.

“But it backfired on them.”

Said Parkview head coach Tom Beuglas: “We made a few moves to try and create some matchups. Every kid pretty much did exactly what we wanted. Obviously, we lost one we didn’t expect to lose.”

Parkview was able to snatch some of the momentum away from the Eagles when Clint Wickham defeated Phillip White 4-2 at 160 and John Cowan outlasted Austin Roney 7-3 at 171, which cut the Collins Hill lead to 9-6 after four matches.

It was 9-9 one match later after Jamie Dugan outscored Ryan Gribbin 4-1 at 189 to give the Panthers their third straight victory.

Collins Hill answered right back with two straight of its own as Tyler Stadulis defeated Charles Sandusky 5-0 at 215 and Eagle heavyweight Leon Delain got past Parkview’s Vinnie Dugan by the score of 7-2.

Down by six, Parkview tied the score one match last as 103-pounder Carson Fields pinned David Clayton late in the first period. The Panthers then took a 20-15 lead when 112-pounder Ryan Galloway got a technical fall over the Eagles’ James Smithson.

“I’m sure nobody else in this place thought it would be as close as it was,” Beuglas said. “And we just fought the whole time.”

Collins Hill’s Cody Black just missed getting a major decision victory over Parkview’s Jon Puerta, but still settled for an impressive 8-1 win at 119 that cut the lead to two.

After Ron Lofton gave the Panthers a five-point lead again with a 5-1 decision over Dominic Vercelote at 125, the Collins Hill state champions pushed the Eagles ahead for good.

Thomas Knapp, a defending state champion, snuck out a tense 3-2 victory over Parkview’s Jesse Miller at 130 and then three-time state champion Tyler Parker (135) rolled over Parkview’s Zac Burger (who was called up from JV) 18-1 to give the Eagles a 26-23 lead.

Which set the stage for Gray and Stewart in a fantastic final match that was a fitting end to the roller-coaster, dramatic dual between two state powers.

“I’ve had three intense, humongous dual meets in my 29 years of coaching,” Ramos said. “I’ve coached three that were just incredible dual meets, and that was one of the three.”

“That’s what we just told the kids,” Beuglas said. “That’s one of the best duals we’ve ever had … and we’re real proud of their effort.”

The Brookwood wrestling team finished fourth in state — losing to No. 1 Walton 45-19 in the third-place match.

In Class AA, Wesleyan finished fourth in the state after the Wolves lost to Lovett in the third-place match.

I don't think Gordon or Jim has any idea what will happen in their big one(s) coming up. My gut tells me what they may want to happen. ;)

Edited by Sommers

If I read the schedule correctly, it looks like Baylor is wrestling Notre Dame on Thursday, the night before the McCallie match.

Is that right? Who made up that schedule------ that's a tough ND team that Baylor will go up against the night before its biggest match of the year. Wonder if Coach Connell will be in the stands for that one.

Anyone want to hazard any predictrions for how Baylor will handle the lineup against ND in order to prepare for McCallie. Will it be their regular lineup at their usual weights or will Coach Morgan juggle the ND lineup just to give McCallie something to think about?

If I read the schedule correctly, it looks like Baylor is wrestling Notre Dame  on Thursday, the night before the McCallie match.

Is that right? Who made up that schedule------  that's a tough ND team that Baylor will go up against the night before its biggest match of the year.  Wonder if  Coach Connell will be in the stands for that one.

Anyone want to hazard any predictrions for how Baylor will handle the lineup against ND in order to prepare for McCallie.  Will it be their regular lineup at their usual weights or will Coach Morgan juggle the ND lineup just to give McCallie something to think about?

825537845[/snapback]

i am sure baylor will put more effort on the mccallie match but ND match may be loser than it should because they may wrestle some backups to preserve some of their starters who will have hard matches on friday

If I read the schedule correctly, it looks like Baylor is wrestling Notre Dame  on Thursday, the night before the McCallie match.

Is that right? Who made up that schedule------  that's a tough ND team that Baylor will go up against the night before its biggest match of the year.  Wonder if  Coach Connell will be in the stands for that one.

Anyone want to hazard any predictrions for how Baylor will handle the lineup against ND in order to prepare for McCallie.  Will it be their regular lineup at their usual weights or will Coach Morgan juggle the ND lineup just to give McCallie something to think about?

825537845[/snapback]

i would say Baylor needs to do nothing in terms of changing their line up. Its worked all year. Seems adjustments are more in order coming out of McCallie. This might favor McCallie in the surprise catagory; however Baylors record shows that they win with the line up they have. Why mess with a winning line up just to out guess someone. As always both schools would really like to win. Baylor lost last year and would like to turn that around and McCallie would like to continue the winning dual record against Baylor. My guess is they will also meet in the duals in another week one way or the other. Good schools with good programs and tons of pride. Cheer for your side and not against the other. Friday night should be exciting to watch no matter the score. ND and Baylor could be very exciting as well. ND has talent and wrestling their best could make it close. you never know