Sports

TigersBball42

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parents have to realize they cannot live their lives or past lives through their kids. I dont believe in quitting in mid-season or anything but if a player is that miserable you almost should let them. Players have to have lives outside of sports, if they really want to play year round like some thats ok but they still need some time off. I have seen to many get burned out on sports and never want to play or even want their kids to play.

ChipsAhoy...the question you have to ask yourself is whether or not sports is always going to be a part of your life? Granted you are just in high school and you shouldn't have a lot of worries yet, but some kids in school have to work like your saying you have to do.....and you have to make choice soemtimes not with your heart but your head.

I've always said that the goal of every coach is to take his team to the BIG GAME and get the RING. However, the highest reward for any football coach is one that is intangible. It won't pay your bills, or help you with your retirement. It is the feeling you get when some twenty-nine year old comes up to you in the mall and introduces his wife and children to you and says, "It is in part, because of this man, that I am the man I am today." Or, he acknowledges something you taught him about life that has made him a better husband or father. Our job is to lead young boys through the struggles of competition and the wonderful teenage years into manhood. Twenty years down the road most of the scores and statistics will be just a number on a page... the real value of those days will be in the minds of those who played the game and the camaraderie they share with their coaches and teammates. We are in the job of turning boys into men and there is nothing more important than this task! District, region, and state titles are just icing on the cake, but if we don't ever have those trophies in our case, the journey is still worth it! It is the experience of life that makes it all worth journey and any acknowledgements of success we have along the way is an extra blessing.

I've always said that the goal of every coach is to take his team to the BIG GAME and get the RING. However, the highest reward for any football coach is one that is intangible. It won't pay your bills, or help you with your retirement. It is the feeling you get when some twenty-nine year old comes up to you in the mall and introduces his wife and children to you and says, "It is in part, because of this man, that I am the man I am today." Or, he acknowledges something you taught him about life that has made him a better husband or father. Our job is to lead young boys through the struggles of competition and the wonderful teenage years into manhood. Twenty years down the road most of the scores and statistics will be just a number on a page... the real value of those days will be in the minds of those who played the game and the camaraderie they share with their coaches and teammates. We are in the job of turning boys into men and  there is nothing more important than this task! District, region, and state titles are just icing on the cake, but if we don't ever have those trophies in our case, the journey is still worth it! It is the experience of life that makes it all worth journey and any acknowledgements of success we have along the way is an extra blessing.

825480959[/snapback]

ELA, for once, you wrote something that is meaningful. Good post

:lol: Hey, that's not ELA's first meaningful post! I appreciate his input.

I think kids that participate in team sports and understand the team concept are more prepared for the real world. Now, there are some that participate in team sports that don't understand the team concept. That's a whole nother thread!

I have had an email dialogue with a local teacher over the emphasis placed on school sports and how it detracts from the learning process. She doesn't include cheerleading or band or drama club in this broad brush approach. I counter that for a good athlete that is a marginal student, athletics might be the kids only motivation to work hard on his schoolwork and I know that high school sports promote discipline and require time management skills.

I tell any kid that is complaining about sports taking away from their social life or preventing them from making money for a car or whatever, that there is a limit to how long you can have that feeling in the pit of your stomach when competing. For most, it ends at the high school level and you can't replace that feeling with slow pitch softball! I've never heard one adult recount that they were glad they gave up the sport they were playing. On the contrary, most say they wished they had stuck it out. I'd love to start over and play again. Shoot........I'd pay to be able to do it!

I've had this debate in my head before.. I play basketball, baseball, and football at my high school, but I turned 16 some time ago and I've been having money situations. I need a job, but all of the time I spend practicing would have to go. I know in the summer I couldn't skip the 2-a-days and workouts or I wouldn't get to start, and it wouldn't be worth playing if I couldn't start, as I do have the capability. I can't have a job in the spring time because I have baseball practice everyday and games when I'm not practicing. Basketball doesn't take that much time, but I couldn't arrange a work schedule around every game or I wouldn't be working hardly any at all. Football is the one thing that takes up alot of my time... Its a year round thing. We have winter workouts in the winter/spring and then workouts all through the summer, and of course practice in the fall. I'm struggling to get the money I need, and my grades are slipping. I know the obvious choice is to quit something, but is isn't always that easy when your in my shoes. Anyone got advice?

825480939[/snapback]

I don't know if your religous or anything like that, but I always pray to Jesus about stuff like that. My advice would be to listen to what he has to say and let him guide your life in the direction he wants to, whether that be quiting a sport or two or somehow finding time to play all those sports and work too.