Sports

TigersBball42

I've had this debate in my head before.. I play basketball, baseball, and football at my high school, but I turned 16 some time ago and I've been having money situations. I need a job, but all of the time I spend practicing would have to go. I know in the summer I couldn't skip the 2-a-days and workouts or I wouldn't get to start, and it wouldn't be worth playing if I couldn't start, as I do have the capability. I can't have a job in the spring time because I have baseball practice everyday and games when I'm not practicing. Basketball doesn't take that much time, but I couldn't arrange a work schedule around every game or I wouldn't be working hardly any at all. Football is the one thing that takes up alot of my time... Its a year round thing. We have winter workouts in the winter/spring and then workouts all through the summer, and of course practice in the fall. I'm struggling to get the money I need, and my grades are slipping. I know the obvious choice is to quit something, but is isn't always that easy when your in my shoes. Anyone got advice?

825480939[/snapback]

Since you are already in the middle of all of the action, see if your local newspaper and/or radio stations are interested in paying you for a small column or sports report.

You could take a few minutes each evening to reflect upon your day and put it into an update article.

You have lemons, make lemonade. A 3-sports starter already has fans, so give them a quick look at life on the inside.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But later in life is sports going to put the food on the table and a roof over his head answer me that...

825486562[/snapback]

In a round about way, yes it can. The work ethic taught, and required to play High School sports teaches young people what it takes to get from where they are to where they want to be. No parents should not force kids to play, but if they want to play, they should do everything they can to support them. Life lessons taught from youth league sports all the way to High School sports will make kids better adults, who understand that nothing takes the place of hard work. You do not get that from playing PlaystationII. While most High School athletes will not play college ball, what they learn about teamwork, and hard work will serve them well in life. I coach both of my sons in youth league ball, and my oldest is now playing two sports in High School. Yes I think it has and is helping them to become the best they can be.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that whatever we we must be fair and give it our best. The key is priority, what takes priority in our lives alot of times takes priority in our childrens lives as well. I grew up on a farm and did not play ant sports. We showed livestock at the fair all summers, just about. But my Children play sports. when they were younger they played lots of sports as they grew they understould that they had to narrow that down to just one or two. Time wise it takes a toll on our children. We want to let them play but we must help them see they can't give 100% to 3 or 4 things. So we must, just as we must remind them that they have to "mow the yard" or "clean the bed room" remind them that choices have to be made. Play one or two give it your all!.

I say put God first family 2nd, and sports after that. I thank the Lord that my children have done exceptional. :thumb:

• 2 months later...
But later in life is sports going to put the food on the table and a roof over his head answer me that...

THAT is a very good question...in most cases ABSOLUTLY NOT but ...i truely believe that sports and working with a team and working with a coach that they dont like (most kids dont like their coaches until they are gone ...you know when they have grown up) really helps them at the JOB they get in life because when you play sports you dont always like the person you work with but you have to get a long with them and on a team you dont always like yourteammate but you have to get along with them and work together now if they are lucky enough to get a scholarship out of it now they get college paid for and you know the advantages of that however i tell mine there are more academic scholarships than athletic so he knows to take care of the grades.

as for the person who doesnt know what they want to do just remeber you have ALL YOUR LIFE TO WORK and you only get 1 shot at playing high school sports PLAY if you want to if you don want to play then dont but if you WANT TO PLAY THEN PLAY i wish i didnt have to quit football and go to work but i had to help at home i wish i would have talked to the coach or somthing so i could have still played but i can never go back and play dont have that regret if you like it and have fun then dont worry about getting that new soound system for your car just PLAY

Edited by riverdaleman

I think that whatever we we must be fair and give it our best. The key is priority, what takes priority in our lives alot of times takes priority in our childrens lives as well. I grew up on a farm and did not play ant sports. We showed livestock at the fair all summers, just about. But my Children play sports. when they were younger they played lots of sports as they grew they understould that they had to narrow that down to just one or two. Time wise it takes a toll on our children. We want to let them play but we must help them see they can't give 100% to 3 or 4 things. So we must, just as we must remind them that they have to "mow the yard" or "clean the bed room" remind them that choices have to be made. Play one or two give it your all!.

I say put God first family 2nd, and sports after that. I thank the Lord that my children have done exceptional. :angry:

I AGREE WITH YOU when you get to high school you probably need t narrow it down to 1 or 2 but ALWAYS GOD FIRST THEN FAMILY THEN SCHOOL THEN SPORTS keeping in mind sometimes it is the sports that keeps some kids in school

I am a SPORTS FANATIC, but I do see one big problem---Very young children being "burned out" before they get to the age to really be dedicated on their own. Example: my young daughters (7 and 8) play basketball, soccer, and softball- each in its season. At softball practise the other day, one little girl wasn't at practice. She had AAU basketball practice. Nothing wrong with that except that she is also playing indoor soccer and will also be playing on a travel softball team. The child is involved in 4 sports at the same time, she has to keep school work up, and she is only 8 years old. Now, before I'm told to mind my own business, that her parents know best, let me say that I totally agree. It is entirely their call. I'm only wondering if the child will not get to the point that she doesn't like ANY of the sports. Maybe not, but personally I think that a child that young shouldn't be overloaded. Expose them to different sports, yes, let them determine which is the real focus they want to pursue, and then work hard toward that goal.

In my position I see so many young kids burned out early, I can't help but worry about that.

I am a SPORTS FANATIC, but I do see one big problem---Very young children being "burned out" before they get to the age to really be dedicated on their own. Example: my young daughters (7 and 8) play basketball, soccer, and softball- each in its season. At softball practise the other day, one little girl wasn't at practice. She had AAU basketball practice. Nothing wrong with that except that she is also playing indoor soccer and will also be playing on a travel softball team. The child is involved in 4 sports at the same time, she has to keep school work up, and she is only 8 years old. Now, before I'm told to mind my own business, that her parents know best, let me say that I totally agree. It is entirely their call. I'm only wondering if the child will not get to the point that she doesn't like ANY of the sports. Maybe not, but personally I think that a child that young shouldn't be overloaded. Expose them to different sports, yes, let them determine which is the real focus they want to pursue, and then work hard toward that goal.

In my position I see so many young kids burned out early, I can't help but worry about that.

in mmy OPINION and some of the things i have seen YES this girl will be burned out by high school and there is a good chance she wont play anything there is always that case where she absolutly eats it up but in my OPINION all of the travel ball at 7 8 years old burns them out...i about made the same mistake with my freshman whenhe was 10 he played all 3 sports but he played travel baseball he was so sick of it he hated it so when he was 11 i told him he would just play rec ball with his friends and that was it by the end of the year he was asked to be on a 12 year old all star team and i told him it was totally up to him if he played they were only playing in 2 tournaments so he played so he had a good time and ever since then he has been ate up with baseball and now he is a freshman and only plays baseball by his choice gave up basketball after 8th grade year and football 7th grade year but i almost lost a really good baseball player because i thought travel was the way to go....so this is my experience and opinion

I have two sons......One will be graduating in May and going off to college......What he went through during his four years of high school was much more demanding that what I went through in my four years....From the summer after his 8th grade year he was doing something related to football,except for the two week dead periods...He was all-county in basketball and could have gone that route too,playing two sports....I don't see how in the world he would have been able to squeeze another sport into his schedule and pass school.....My youngest son could very well be a three-sport guy....He is a gifted baseball,football and basketball player...He has played organized sports since tee ball.....He has played basketball since the first grade and football since the second grade....He has had no off-season since the second grade..He is only 14 and has had his arm thrown out already,he has had two MCL injuries to both knees...He has decided one sport in high school will be it...I'm behind him 100% in that decision....Why force the kid to play two sports he doesn't want to play??...This way he can concentrate on the sport he loves the most and be the very best he can be at it...Can their be too much sports??...YES,absolutely....You have to have family time and kids have to have the opportunity to be kids while they are kids....I just wonder how the T.$.$.A.A. is going to police this new schedule.....Who exactly is going to follow the new rules and who will try to find all the little loop-holes to gain an advantage??....

Edited by backinthaoc

Great points both for and against. Sports did pay for my college and led to many contacts that have helped me in my career. However, only about 4% of high school athletes go on to play four years of college sports. A lot of student-athletes are participating in college sports but they are also paying for it. Example: I see athletes sign "scholorships" to play at a private liberal arts college that cost $20,000+. Some of these "scholorships" are for 3 or 4 thousand dollars. So you see a lot of athletes pay $16,000 or $17,000 to play a sport. At most state universities the tuition is affordable enough, add the help of the HOPE scholorship, that a part-time job can cover the difference.

I spent countless hours trying to perfect my skills. No coach told me to do it. I was going to work no matter what. During that time I sacrificed family time, study time, church, and many other experiences the normal person in high school got to enjoy. We missed most of our Prom because of a game, graduation was a rush because we had to leave to go play a ball game, things I'll never get back. I never got a thanksgiving, Christmas, or spring break because we were playing ball. However, with all the negatives, I still had some great times. I made great friends, was treated better than most people because I was an athlete, and accomplished goals that I didn't think I could attain.

Sports was never forced on me. It was my choice. Parents that force sports on their children need to ask themselves why they are doing it. Is it for your child or for you? Being a parent now, I will let my son pick his path. I'll advise him but I'll let him know that he can be as successful as he wants to be without sports.

Edited by DCHS