Sports

TigersBball42

I think maybe QueenBee wanted "Life Beyond Sports" to be about what kids do outside of the sports venue rather than "Should I stay or should I go" :P

I like this thread. There's a message in it.........but it's not about Girl's Basketball! The person that started the thread was talking about a girl that plays basketball, but the gist of the question is generic. Let's see what it does..........

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very religious, and I have prayed about it... and the answer I've come up with is that I'm only this age once so I should do enjoy it while I'm young.

On another note... What if you're religious and the team(s) you are on don't give good influences? Personally, there is a Christian base to our football team, but there is alot of cursing/degrading going on, and I started to develop bad habits before I caught myself. Nearly everyone on the football team I am on uses bad language and excessive things of that nature. What advice would you give to someone who is a strong Christian but fears he is being hindered by something he loves so much?

P.S...- Why are we in the girls basketball area now?

825481521[/snapback]

My opinion is that you're going to run into those situations for the rest of your life. Surrounding yourself with believers only is not doing anything but insulating you from the rest of the 'real world'. Be an example and hold strong to your faith. You might influence others that don't especially like the actions and language of some of their teammates, but don't want to go against the grain. I'll bet you're not alone in your discomfort........

I mean would u wanna play if your parents forced you... i wouldnt

825481535[/snapback]

Would you want to get up out of bed every morning and go to school if your parents 'forced' you? Would you cut the yard if your parents didn't 'force' you? I don't know all of the circumstances, but the rule at our house is 'Finish what you started'. My kids cannot quit mid-season. Now, if they don't want to play the next year. Fine. Get a job.

I have coached summer league baseball for 11 years now...and it is always very special to have former players stop by to say hi and catch me up on what they are doing. I understand what ELA is talking about. This past summer, my 19 and under Senior Babe Ruth team won the TN State Championship - which felt pretty darn good. But, the memories and bonding we as a team had will always be with me.

As to whether you can have too much "sports" - of course. There are other people and things in life that I will drop sports for - my family. But, as soon as I've done the family thing, I find some sports to watch, cover or coach. It's a part of me just like my family.

My son plays basketball in college, where he has four years of room/board, tuition, books, etc. paid for. In other words he is receiving over 100,000 dollars to play ball for four years. Because we are out nothing for his education, we can afford to give him "allowance" (spending money), and he does not have to work even part time. Occasionally he complains about how having to practice or not having any time to do anything... I simply tell him, to quit at the END of the season, get a job and go to school. Needless to say, he can not find a job that will pay him what he is "making" to play ball in college. Practicing three or four hours a day maximum for a few months a year is very little compared to the hours he would have to work making minimum wage. Let me remind all the college and high school students who complain about not having any free "TIME", that there are many students who leave school and go to work every afternoon and evening. My son, too, played three sports in high school and I did feel for him in the summers. I do feel that summers are much too demanding on kids and that it is hard to schedule even a one week vacation. But all in all, I feel that the time spent in sports is valuable time.

interesting thread...

my son played 2 sports in high school. when he got to the age to work, we told him that as long as he was "working" toward getting a scholarship (academically as well as sportswise) he didnt need to get a job. we would provide the money that he would have otherwise had for gas, etc. after all, he was putting in a lot more time and effort than any part time job i know of.

it was a good investment, as he got to play 4 years of college ball and graduate with honors and a double major in electrical engineering and computer science from a school whose tuition matched my annual income.

but, no. we didnt get to take a family vacation those 4 high school years. we squeezed in one big one between graduating hs and starting college.

as for the question: "But later in life is sports going to put the food on the table and a roof over his head "

lets see... all i learned in sports was about hard work, discipline, and teamwork. all i learned was what it takes to succeed in a competitive world. i try to treat my job just like i would a place on a team. yeah. i think sports has helped put food on the table, and a roof over my head. it provided my son with an education he could not have otherwise afforded. not to mention having something to put on that first resume besides "i graduated". we like to pretend that sports aren't important, but lets be real. our actions say that sports are important.

Edited by lazarus

• 2 months later...

Shouldn't force the kids to play--but if it takes up some of their nintendo, internet, TV time and they want to play, good. I think playing sports can teach you about responsibilities and time management. My kids play sports in HS and they know if they have a test or project due Friday and a game Thursday, they need to finish Wednesday. They play sports, get their homework, oldest one works part time, and they still have plenty of free time.

Time management and responsibility are valuable lessons. Not all will get athletic scholarships, but I think it is time well spent--even though I have three kids playing sports, work, and other activities--good thing I learned time management.

But later in life is sports going to put the food on the table and a roof over his head answer me that...

825486562[/snapback]

It may not put food on the table exactly, but there are some intangibles that could have lead you to putting food on the table. Discipline, hardwork, dedication, teamwork, and dealing with loss and dissapointment. I am not for sure but I think these things will help you deal with life and people involved in it. Whether it is work, relationship, faith, or whatever you pursue.

Sorry lazarus didn't get to your post before I posted, You made good point, I just repeated.

Edited by options86