BA takes on Science hill and DB this weekend

Herbie

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brentwood Academy basketball -- the new football.

Wes, you know I support BA basketball hardcore, but that's quite a statement, we'll discuss it when basketball gets half as many titles as football.

825487741[/snapback]

Brentwood Academy Track... the new football thumb

Oh, and congrats to the Brandon and the rest of the boys for the big win. Looks to be a great season this year.

Edited by endangered_species

Who does BA play in Indy next week?  Anyone know?

825490477[/snapback]

BA plays Carmel High School from Indiana. I don't know anything about them except what was said on the website, which was that their star player is 6'10 senior Josh McRoberts. Should be an interesting matchup for Brandon, who is certainly not unfamiliar with the Indianapolis area after he dominated last summer's Nike camp.

My Recap of Saturday in Johnson City and look ahead to today in Kingsport:

Caught the "game"...hoping it would have been more of a game, even though I am not a Hilltopper fan.  Wright, at his height, is something SH is not used to seeing.  It's a good thing he is 6'9", as he isn't very fast and does'nt shoot well out of the paint.  Jumps well and has quick post moves.  It does seem like Turner has been stealing Wright's lunch money or something.  Feed that boy!  :lol:  Unless he hits the weights and gets bigger, can't see him playing D1 at the 5 or 4, don't see that he has the skills to move to a 3.  He's got another year to work and get bigger though.  Seldom do you see tall kids in NETN, and they have no idea how to defend them.  Basically, what we had last night was Team Speed vs. Team Speed and Size.  Not just Wright, Turner was tough inside.  Overall BA was a tall team.  I honestly thought Turner had more points, as I checked the boxscores today.  Seemed like he had 20 offensive boards and putbacks.  Turner deserves more print.  BA is obviously well coached and very deep.  Depth is also something you will not find in NETN.  Good luck with the remainder of the year, BA.  I hope more teams from middle TN, and even the Knoxville to Chattanooga areas will make trips to NE TN. 

The game between <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> and Dobyns Bennett today in Kingsport will be as ugly as Pitts wants it to be.  I'm betting Pitts doesn't care too much for DB, going back to his Science Hill days.  The Indians are tiny and not very quick.  Lamon Williams is the only exception to the "tiny" comment, but how many 6'3" guys play center in middle TN or Memphis.  Williams seemed to excelerate for a bucket or steal anytime he chose to.  Could he be doing that every night?  I don't see SH having an answer for his play last night.  I ask the question does he just not want to play most of the time or is it a work ethic/laziness thing?  The Knox Beardon coach should be apologizing for the loss to DB last night.  Beardon never adapted their gameplan as DB changed to an inside game to Lamon Williams.  Gotta give Coach Morgan credit here and credit to the Indians for not giving up when down 17.  The Indians do hustle and give what seems to be the best of their abilities.  Beardon's gaurd, Tony White, showed did show the DB guards what quickness is.  Why Beardon coach didn't give him more one-on-one opportunities befuddles me. 

The admission to today's BA @ DB game will be a waste of money.  Book it Dan'O.

825490292[/snapback]

In the category of dumb posts, you win. Your comments about Brandan make

make absolutely no sense and are 180 degrees out of phase with the real basketball experts across the nation. Brandan is ranked number 1 or 2 in most

of the major recruiting services (class of 2006). Also, he demonstrated his skills

against the best in the nation in the major showcase camps this past summer.

However, everyone is entitled to his own opinion.

BA plays Carmel High School from Indiana.  I don't know anything about them except what was said on the website, which was that their star player is 6'10 senior Josh McRoberts.  Should be an interesting matchup for Brandon, who is certainly not unfamiliar with the Indianapolis area after he dominated last summer's Nike camp.

825490567[/snapback]

Saw they are 8-0, ranked 4th in the state. In Indiana, that's saying something. This could be the toughest team the Eagles have faced yet, including J'town, KY. What a brutal schedule they are playing!

BA plays Carmel High School from Indiana.  I don't know anything about them except what was said on the website, which was that their star player is 6'10 senior Josh McRoberts.  Should be an interesting matchup for Brandon, who is certainly not unfamiliar with the Indianapolis area after he dominated last summer's Nike camp.

825490567[/snapback]

Brandon apparently played against Josh in a camp last Summer. I'm

not sure how he performed. The comment made to me was that Brandan

was impressed.

Saw they are 8-0, ranked 4th in the state.  In Indiana, that's saying something.  This could be the toughest team the Eagles have faced yet, including J'town, KY.  What a brutal schedule they are playing!

825490650[/snapback]

This will definitely be the toughest game on the schedule (except perhaps

Mater Dei). BA will need to play much better than today. The team was

a little sloppy coming off last night's dominating performance over Science Hill.

True, true. I am entitled to my opinion. I just don't see what the hoopla is about the kid. He does jump well and shoots the ball high. He is quick on his initital post moves. What happens when a big guy over 6'3" lays on him? Again, feed that boy. I didn't see much speed or hustle (although he didn't really need to vs. Science Hill or Dobyns Bennett). Turner on the other hand hustles. One of your guards, #12 (can't remember his name) impressed me too. He single handedly beat the "famed" Science Hill press.

So since the world obviously has Wright ranked so high, great for him. I'm sure he's a great kid and with his height he'll play college ball. I just expected more given all the hype. I've lived all over our great state and yes NETN will always have a hard time competing in basketball, but I also believe middle TN is bad to over-hype players. NETN does get to see better every year when the Arby's fires up in Bristol. I also believe most people don't understand what a hotbed of talent the Memphis area is and the overall talent there is somewhat under-hyped.

Everything Wright did in the Tri-Cites games are things you'd expect any 6'9" guy to do against 6'3" (at best) defenders. Yes, I would enjoy seeing him and BA more. I'd like to see how he would handle other tall players. Who knows, I could be nuts.

But from what I saw, seems he'd get pounded inside against a good big man and you won't convince me he could ever play a 3. With all the talk on here about how great he is, and drawing from watching ball for 40 years, I have to guess this is a week class overall. I just expected more. Hey, But I do wish him all the success in the world along with all Coach Pitts' boys. Sorry to get all you middle TN people in a wad. :blink:

True, true.  I am entitled to my opinion.  I just don't see what the hoopla is about the kid.  He does jump well and shoots the ball high.  He is quick on his initital post moves.  What happens when a big guy over 6'3" lays on him?  Again, feed that boy.  I didn't see much speed or hustle (although he didn't really need to vs. Science Hill or Dobyns Bennett).  Turner on the other hand hustles.  One of your guards, #12 (can't remember his name) impressed me too.  He single handedly beat the "famed" Science Hill press.

So since the world obviously has Wright ranked so high, great for him.  I'm sure he's a great kid and with his height he'll play college ball.  I just expected more given all the hype.  I've lived all over our great state and yes NETN will always have a hard time competing in basketball, but I also believe middle TN is bad to over-hype players.  NETN does get to see better every year when the Arby's fires up in Bristol.  I also believe most people don't understand what a hotbed of talent the Memphis area is and the overall talent there is somewhat under-hyped. 

Everything Wright did in the Tri-Cites games are things you'd expect any 6'9" guy to do against 6'3" (at best) defenders.  Yes, I would enjoy seeing him and BA more.  I'd like to see how he would handle other tall players.  Who knows, I could be nuts.

But from what I saw, seems he'd get pounded inside against a good big man and you won't convince me he could ever play a 3.  With all the talk on here about how great he is, and drawing from watching ball for 40 years, I have to guess this is a week class overall.  I just expected more.  Hey, But I do wish him all the success in the world along with all Coach Pitts' boys.  Sorry to get all you middle TN people in a wad.  :blink:

825491006[/snapback]

No problem. You've seen him play only once, and perhaps he had an off night. Coaches Willams, Smith, Pitino etc. have had the advantage of seeing him play in person much more often, so may have a more balanced view. At any rate, I would suggest you print out your posts, put them in an envelope, and save them for a few years. You can pull them out in 2009 or so, and see if you, or the top college coaches in the country were right about Brandan.

You're right about Turner. He is a very underated basketball player. If he were not a major DI football recruit, he would be playing hoops somewhere next year.

My Recap of Saturday in Johnson City and look ahead to today in Kingsport:

Caught the "game"...hoping it would have been more of a game, even though I am not a Hilltopper fan.  Wright, at his height, is something SH is not used to seeing.  It's a good thing he is 6'9", as he isn't very fast and does'nt shoot well out of the paint.  Jumps well and has quick post moves.  It does seem like Turner has been stealing Wright's lunch money or something.  Feed that boy!  ;)  Unless he hits the weights and gets bigger, can't see him playing D1 at the 5 or 4, don't see that he has the skills to move to a 3.  He's got another year to work and get bigger though.  Seldom do you see tall kids in NETN, and they have no idea how to defend them.  Basically, what we had last night was Team Speed vs. Team Speed and Size.  Not just Wright, Turner was tough inside.  Overall BA was a tall team.  I honestly thought Turner had more points, as I checked the boxscores today.  Seemed like he had 20 offensive boards and putbacks.  Turner deserves more print.  BA is obviously well coached and very deep.  Depth is also something you will not find in NETN.  Good luck with the remainder of the year, BA.  I hope more teams from middle TN, and even the Knoxville to Chattanooga areas will make trips to NE TN. 

The game between <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> and Dobyns Bennett today in Kingsport will be as ugly as Pitts wants it to be.  I'm betting Pitts doesn't care too much for DB, going back to his Science Hill days.  The Indians are tiny and not very quick.  Lamon Williams is the only exception to the "tiny" comment, but how many 6'3" guys play center in middle TN or Memphis.  Williams seemed to excelerate for a bucket or steal anytime he chose to.  Could he be doing that every night?  I don't see SH having an answer for his play last night.  I ask the question does he just not want to play most of the time or is it a work ethic/laziness thing?  The Knox Beardon coach should be apologizing for the loss to DB last night.  Beardon never adapted their gameplan as DB changed to an inside game to Lamon Williams.  Gotta give Coach Morgan credit here and credit to the Indians for not giving up when down 17.  The Indians do hustle and give what seems to be the best of their abilities.  Beardon's gaurd, Tony White, showed did show the DB guards what quickness is.  Why Beardon coach didn't give him more one-on-one opportunities befuddles me. 

The admission to today's BA @ DB game will be a waste of money.  Book it Dan'O.

825490292[/snapback]

Ahh, haven't seen a more incorrect scouting report on a guy in a while.

Wright has an excellent jumper, he's VERY fast for his size. And not only can I see him playing D-I in a couple of years, he's the best player I've seen in person this year -- and I've been to a couple of NBA games (none with any stars, obviously) and about 15-20 D-I college games.