All-State List

FBEmeritus

The nomination process is as follows. The Association sends out a nomination ballot near the end of the regular season. There is a deadline on the ballots as to when the ballots are to be returned. The lists compiled for the vote are the ones the coaches receive. If a name is not on the list it is because the coach did not send in the nomination or they do not belong to the association. Don't worry there are two other all state teams those kids will probably make.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very humerous when people get on here year after year and defend what is apparently a flawed system for picking this all state team. If the team chosen is not representative of the very best players in each classification it is a flawed selection process, period.

The bottom line is that year in and year out the TACA allstate team is a joke. The system they use is not an effective way of getting a representative all state team. They need to take more pride in the system they use. When one cares to comment on the obvious talent they leave off, the standard response is to shift the blame instead of taking a hard look at a system that has never produced a respectable team.

I'm going to try to defend the Tennessee Football Coaches Association, not because I am a member, but because I get tired of hearing this crap every year from people who don't understand the process... so here goes:

1. NOT EVERY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH IN THE STATE IS A MEMBER OF THE ASSOCIATION!  Just ask them if they belong to it and see before you start complaining about the list!

2. My guess is the 10 teams playing in the Blue Cross Bowl had other things on their mind, other than voting on players. They could have faxed in their list to the association but failed to do so for whatever reason.

3. Every coach there is going to nominate and vote for his kids and the kids he knows something about. I will never vote for someone I don't know or haven't heard something about from another coach!

4. I didn't go to the meeting this year for family reasons but I know that there are hundreds of coaches who don't go, even though they belong to the organization. It is their fault if their kids don't make the team! It's not the job of every head coach or assistant coach to think of your kids and throw their name into the hat. If they get nominated by your coaches, we will vote for them, if not... OH WELL!

We went through this same thing last year and the year before that. I guess what some of you would like is for no one to make the team if your favorite boy doesn't get the credit you feel he deserves!  We are all sorry that not all the coaches participate... but we can't force them to do so!

SIDE NOTE TO COACHES:  Two years ago I went for the first time, I won a TV and a T-shirt just for showing up!  Join us as we try to make things better for high school football across the state!

I'm not mad about the negative comments but I do wish all of you who feel slighted would complain to your head coach and not to the association in general. Down the road, this organization is going to be great for our sport and for the coaches in general!

825483009[/snapback]

ELA,

I see your point, however if coaches want this poll to ever have any credibility then they are going to have to start doing some homework and making sure they most deserving players are on the list. JMO.

Every All-State team is going to have its dissenters. I saw earlier where people were complaining, I for one, about the AP All-State team. In 1A Brandon Springer from Lake Co. made the Coaches All-State team and is very Deserving. He gained 1,424 yards and scored 19 TD's from his QB spot. He was Region 8-1A Offensive MVP and twice AP 1A State Player of the Week Honorable Mention. What does that get him nothing on the AP all- State, not even an honorable mention. When kids in the same region on much weaker teams with less stats get at least Honorable Mention. So I believe the TNFCA All-State is not anymore flawed or invalid as the others. Any way you slice it All-State is a popularity contest whether it is the local papers pumping their kids or a coach pushing for his guy. Again so every all-state team posted will have people on here grumbling b/c their guy did not make it.

Every All-State team is going to have its dissenters. I saw earlier where people were complaining, I for one, about the AP All-State team. In 1A Brandon Springer from Lake Co. made the Coaches All-State team and is very Deserving. He gained 1,424 yards and scored 19 TD's from his QB spot. He was Region 8-1A Offensive MVP and twice AP 1A State Player of the Week Honorable Mention. What does that get him nothing on the AP all- State, not even an honorable mention. When kids in the same region on much weaker teams with less stats get at least Honorable Mention. So I believe the TNFCA All-State is not anymore flawed or invalid as the others. Any way you slice it All-State is a popularity contest whether it is the local papers pumping their kids or a coach pushing for his guy.  Again so every all-state team posted will have people on here grumbling b/c their guy did not make it.

825483329[/snapback]

Not really, but I see the point you try and make. Rarely does a newspaper that has been entrusted to submit nominees from their area fail to send in the most prominenet names from their area. It does happen though. The Jackson Sun missed the deadline one year and people like Trey Teague were left off the AP all state team for 1A.

However, If you take a look at the TACA, this is an every year occurance because they rely on so many different coaches to send in a players name. They can`t be happy with the final results. They must find a way to consider all bonafide candidates. While both systems have the possibilities for flaws, the AP is the exception. The TACA is the rule.They can`t get it right.

Volunteer[/url]General' date='Dec 13 2004 - 10:11 PM']The bottom line is that year in and year out the TACA allstate team is a joke. The system they use is not an effective way of getting a representative all state team. They need to take more pride in the system they use. When one cares to comment on the obvious talent they leave off, the standard response is to shift the blame instead of taking a hard look at a system that has never produced a respectable team.

825483280[/snapback]

We debated this last year VG! Everyone seemed to say the same things back then. I said then we would have the same debate this year because this is just a coach's poll of who is most deserving in their area! My guess is not many West Tennessee Coaches come to the convention. Even so, if they wanted to they could send in the names to the association. If your not there, no one will vote for your kids! It's like wanting to run for president but no one turns out to put your name on the ballot! Why should I vote for some kid I've never heard of when there are twenty boys that my team played against that I saw who were loaded with talent. Coaches don't have the time to watch film from 300+ schools all around the state to determine who should make the list. If someone from your school or your region of the state doesn't put their name on the list then whose fault is it? Not ours! Again... I didn't go to the meeting this year but I was there last year and I can tell you I didn't see more than eight or nine west tennessee school jackets! That was it! This is a real simple process, you nominate your kids and then you show up to vote for them. That's how it's done all across the nation!

ELA,

I agree with ALL of your points. HOWEVER, doesn't the TFCA lose credibility with teams like this?!? I don't care how the process works, the results should be the best players in the state.

My proposal would be that if you can't come up with a decent list that is at least defendable, then don't bother publishing an All-State Team. How can an All-State Team (Div II) have only 3 players?!?!?!?!?

These teams are not defendable! I could go into at least 5 or 6 reasons why this is not defendable, but I won't. The bottom line is it is worse than "a joke". It makes the TFCA look very bad. You might as well poll a bunch of high school students to put together a list!

It would be better to have NO TEAM than to put together this team. (And, on a side note, I am saying this with 2 kids from the high school I support being on the team.)

Edited by FatCat

ELA,

I agree with ALL of your points.  HOWEVER, doesn't the TFCA lose credibility with teams like this?!?  I don't care how the process works, the results should be the best players in the state. 

My proposal would be that if you can't come up with a decent list that is at least defendable, then don't bother publishing an All-State Team.  How can an All-State Team (Div II) have only 3 players?!?!?!?!?

These teams are not defendable!  I could go into at least 5 or 6 reasons why this is not defendable, but I won't.  The bottom line is it is worse than "a joke".  It makes the TFCA look very bad.  You might as well poll a bunch of high school students to put together a list!

It would be better to have NO TEAM than to put together this team.  (And, on a side note, I am saying this with 2 kids from the high school I support being on the team.)

825483563[/snapback]

i havent seen the list --where can you find the tfca all star team list at?