McCallie Tournament

hespinnedref

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is my understanding that Dan Gable used to make the final choice as to who would wrestle in the Big 10 tournament. He did consider the challange matches but he often made a decision based on what he felt was best for his team. Did John Smith (Oklahoma State) not select wrestlers in the past that had lost their wrestle-offs to compete for the varsity in the Big 12 tournament?

If a wrestler is a 1X State Champion that is great, 2X State Champion is great, MOW @ the State Tournament is great, etc... but the true fact is that in 10 years very few people will even know or care. Wrestling is nothing more that a venue for young boys to learn some life skills and to grow into men. While you may not agree with the coaching staffs decision on some issues, life is much too short to be bitter. My advice would be to move on with your life and let the water begin to pass under the bridge and remember the good times and fun that you and your family had while in the wrestling program and at the school. Your son graduated from a "GREAT" school and that academic education along with the lessons he learned from the coaching staff will out weigh one negative issue.

MLK.....I beg to differ that the top 5 teams from Georgia were represented. Missing were Collins Hill, Parkview, North Gwinnett, and Starr's Mill. You had Walton...tops in 5A and Ringgold..tops in 4A. McEachern is a top 5 5A team. So three good Georgia teams, but not the top 5.

It is my understanding that Dan Gable used to make the final choice as to who would wrestle in the Big 10 tournament.  He did consider the challange matches but he often made a decision based on what he felt was best for his team.  Did John Smith (Oklahoma State) not select wrestlers in the past that had lost their wrestle-offs to compete for the varsity in the Big 12 tournament? 

If a wrestler is a 1X State Champion that is great, 2X State Champion is great, MOW @ the State Tournament is great, etc... but the true fact is that in 10 years very few people will even know or care.  Wrestling is nothing more that a venue for young boys to learn some life skills and to grow into men.  While you may not agree with the coaching staffs decision on some issues, life is much too short to be bitter.  My advice would be to move on with your life and let the water begin to pass under the bridge and remember the good times and fun that you and your family had while in the wrestling program and at the school.  Your son graduated from a "GREAT" school and that academic education along with the lessons he learned from the coaching staff  will out weigh one negative issue.

825492570[/snapback]

Did Gable and Smith move people up a couple of weights where they were underweight?

MLK.....I beg to differ that the top 5 teams from Georgia were represented.  Missing were Collins Hill, Parkview, North Gwinnett, and Starr's Mill.  You had Walton...tops in 5A and Ringgold..tops in 4A.  McEachern is a top 5 5A team. So three good Georgia teams, but not the top 5.

825492655[/snapback]

;) What happened to the ole RMC, who would say, "We just hope to compete, aw shucks".

Now your on the "we are one of the top 5 teams in Ga." take.

I love that about you.

While reflecting on the great wrestling that occurred this weekend, the thought came up about a hypothetical interstate match-up between the top five TN teams and the top five GA teams that were at the McCallie Invitational.......

825491527[/snapback]

RMC

I agree w/ Tex on this one. ;)

Anyway. MLK did not say THE Top 5 from each state. He said the top 5 from each state that ATTENDED the McCallie Invitational.

Oh yea...What happened to your boy Waller? Mr. Waller meet Mr Felix

Vol, you are disputing that then?

825492576[/snapback]

SOMS - disputing what? You continue to talk a bunch of unsubstantiated nonsense and then veil it with an air of authority. You know nothing about the subject, you don't know the people involved, and nothing you say merits discussion to either dispute or confirm.

It is my understanding that Dan Gable used to make the final choice as to who would wrestle in the Big 10 tournament. 

Your son graduated from a "GREAT" school and that academic education along with the lessons he learned from the coaching staff  will out weigh one negative issue.

825492570[/snapback]

Dr. cbg - I thought you were a mid-state wrestling fan not a psycologist. Let me lie down on the couch for this counciling session.

Read season on the mat and your misunderstanding of Gable will be corrected. He would share his opinion as to what was best, but ultimately the wrestlers decided their own fate and these were scholarshiped athletes not folks paying their own way. Not my understanding, its in the book.

Like SOMS, you haven't lived it and don't know a fraction of what really happens there but that isn't the topic. Lesson learned - trust no one because when it benefits them some folks throw the rules out the window and care less who they hurt in the process.

BTW, there are numerous good and ethical teachers at McC and a young man can obtain an excellent academic education under their direction that will prepare him for a successful college study.

Dr. cbg - I thought you were a mid-state wrestling fan not a psycologist.  Let me lie down on the couch for this counciling session.

Read season on the mat and your misunderstanding of Gable will be corrected.  He would share his opinion as to what was best, but ultimately the wrestlers decided their own fate and these were scholarshiped athletes not folks paying their own way.  Not my understanding, its in the book.

Like SOMS, you haven't lived it and don't know a fraction of what really happens there but that isn't the topic.  Lesson learned - trust no one because when it benefits them some folks throw the rules out the window and care less who they hurt in the process.

BTW, there are numerous good and ethical teachers at McC and a young man can obtain an excellent academic education under their direction that will prepare him for a successful college study.

825492941[/snapback]

And great wrestling too. How can you dispute that?

Vol, you don't have a clue do you? Remember, I went to Hixsoh in the mid-seventies, and spent years on the McCallie campus with my friends there, working out and still do. More racquetball today than anything. Gosh, Ted Turner did them right. I have talked with the Clevelands about their son and they love their great coach, the program and will support this to the end, no doubt about it and you sound like you have a different opinion of them.

Sorry, you feel that way.

soms

texas23.....I'm okay with being #2. Walton is the team to beat here and for the next few years. They've got so much talent coming up.....I may have to move.

BayouBear......I wish Waller didn't have to suffer through a torn ACL. My favorite kid to watch from Walton though is Watts, just a great competitor.

Soms, I second your support wholeheartedly. Every time Coach Connell is bashed... If we could all be as lucky to be guided by GC. This is a man with not only honorable intentions and passion but a virtually unparalled knowledge of and love for our great sport, and a great track record of success. I hope the athlete in question from last year's team goes on to great success and a wonderful life. I will certainly follow his career with interest. But the father who continues to blame the coach, especially in the context of our sport's preaching personal responsibility, may be setting the worst example possible. I wonder what would have been possible if in Dec 03 or whenever a weight decision was made, all parties modeled an attitutde of, "Well, this isn't what we'd hoped for, but it's what we've got, so let's get cracking to make sure we do our best and win another championship at any weight." I intend no personal insult to any family, but by making your issues public on this forum you have presented them as fair topics for discussion. I support Coach Connell as he has certainly earned the benfit of the doubt and did not deserve the treatment he received, but my comments on this issue are impartial. In other words, EVEN IF the coach made an egregious error, what sealed the deal was, it seems to me, the reaction of the other parties. EVEN IF the decision was unjust, the response was not one of positive outlook and perseverance at all costs; it was one of blame and, ultimately, frustration and loss. That is the entire message wrestling teaches. Please continue to do all you do for our great sport, and thank you for helping our state's youth.