Giles Co. 55, Father Ryan 48

PageMan

Giles Co..........11..13....11..20.....55

Father Ryan.....14...9.....12..13.....48

Giles Co. 55 - Tyler Smith 34, Tryce Nelson 14, Zach Holt 3, Darin Holt 2, Channing Coffey 2

Father Ryan 48 - Dylan Heim 21, Julius Vergo 14, Ryan Langhi 6, Michael Graham 3, Corry Stewart 2, Antwain Simmons 2

Three Point Goals:

Giles Co. 6 - Nelson 4, Smith 1, Holt 1

Father Ryan 3 - Heim 2, Graham 1

Team Free Throws:

Giles Co. 7 of 11 (63.6%)

Father Ryan 5 of 6 (83.3%)

Team Fouls: Giles Co. 10, Father Ryan 11

Team Turnovers: Giles Co. 4, Father Ryan 12

The game was close until the 4th qtr., when Tyler Smith scored 17 pts and Giles took the win. Giles led at the half by 1, 24-23, as the teams played careful as Nelson had 3 threes for Giles and Heim hit 2 threes and Graham added another for Father Ryan. Smith had 13 at the half for Giles. Virgo had 14 pts in the 2nd half for Father Ryan, but Smith was the man with 21 in the 2nd half for Giles.

Edited by coacht

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler Smith looked pretty good, hes unstoppable from about 15 feet in. I'm not sure about the outside shot GC fans said he developed. He looks like if he were to stand there uncontested he would shoot a pretty good % but his release is too slow for his 3 ball to make noise at the next level. GC has two players, Tyler and Tryce Nelson so I dont see them going very far come tourney time however Tyler Smith is good enough that he could carry them pretty far, but it will be almost all on him. Dylan Heim looked very impressive in the game, taking it to Tyler and scoring a few times. All in all it was a pretty good game and in my eyes Tyler Smith lived up to the hype, with the accpetion of people saying he has developed deep ball shot.

Tonight Tyler truly dominated down low. Double even triple teams could not stop him from getting to the hoop. He didn't shoot the three ball tonight because he didn't have to. Rather than switch to a 2-3 zone the Irish stayed in man-to-man all game long.

Coach Holt's subbing woes turned their head again tonight. Starting Tryce, Zach Roberts, Tyler, Deron, and Darin, he promptly took out Zach and never put him or Michael Hayes in the game. He has a REAL bad habit of not subbing in when the game is close. Giles faced a stiff man-to-man defense tonight and came out on top. The program had Nelson listed as a senior when he is just a sophomore.

If GCHS wants to win the big games, Channing Coffey will need to step up and play like he is capable of playing. Tryce is doing his thing, but Channing needs to get it in gear and in a hurry.

I was really impressed with Father Ryan's hustle tonight. The big man is raw and is big, but he needs to work on his ball handling and post moves. His only points came off of runners to the glass. Dylan is a ball player and I cannot stress the fact enough how much of a class act Father Ryan is. Their crowd began to chant overated when Tyler was shooting free-throws and Dylan tried to quiet them down. Whether or not he was doing this out of class or he didn't want to agitate the Birdman, I'm not sure, but what a move it was.

It was truly a great atmosphere at the gym tonight and ALL of my heckles and taunts were meant only during the game and in no way were personally directed at Father Ryan because they are truly a class act and I would love to go to school there.

Keep your head up gentlemen and you will do great things. Good job Julius and especially Antwain, who kept battling even though we singled him out.

Like I said last year , Talent will win you some games but coaching has got to win the rest . Giles county was almost coached out of a win by Father Ryan's coach . Tyler's talent won this game for Giles that's all . Somebody needs to tell Channing Coffey to just play his game and not worry about coach holt , he can't afford to keep him on the bench too long . Why does Coach Holt ride Channing so much ? He has him scared to do anything with the ball for fear of getting yelled at or pulled out of the game. Channing is way too good to be playing the way he has been playing. Tryce is doing a great job and he knows it, he is not afraid to shoot the ball . He has great ball handling skills and is just an all around good player . He is the future of Giles County after Tyler leaves. Giles Co. has great shooters on the team if Coach Holt would give them the greenlight to shoot but they are scared to. They have the potential to be very good but they need more confidence out there on the floor not just from Tyler and Tryce.

Edited by 2live

The big Sophomore you were asking about for Ryan is Ryan Langhi. He is the Nephew of Former Vandy player Dan Langhi.

Ryan Langhi defines the word "raw". He is almost 6`9" and very thin. I would predict that he will be an effective big man for Coach Bontrager by the time he is a senior. He had a hard time keeping up with Tyler Smith last night.

if Giles County wasn't falling asleep on that backdoor cut this might have been a blowout. FR came out hot from 3-land I think starting out on a 7-0 run. It was so loud I honestly thought we might not score in the first quarter or fall behind too much to catch up.

825489309[/snapback]

If the backdoor was taken away, Bontrager would have found something else. He is one of ther very best coaches I have seen in the midstate.