If you had to win one game!

Yea, but did Gibson face a lineup like this and dominate them?

Cairo

Jeter

Rodriguez

Sheffield

Matsui

Williams

Posada

Olerud

Sierra

with Lofton and Clark coming off the bench? I dont think so! There are 5-6 HOF just in that lineup and 3-4 are prolly first ballot!

And not only did Schilling dominate them, he did it with a bad ankle!

825493925[/snapback]

I only see two HOF in that lineup - Jeter & Rodriguez. Matsui may still become one and Sheffield has to put up the numbers he's had recently for another 5 or 6 years. Williams has had a great career, but HOF - I don't see it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeter, A-Rod, Sheff, and Posada are going to be first ballot barring any major injuries!

Olerud is one of the most consistant hitters in the modern era!

Matsui has an outside shot of getting into the HOF!

825495127[/snapback]

I'm not seeing Posada as a HOF and my feelings on Sheffield have already been stated. There's a difference between being a very good player and a HOF caliber player. I do agree that players like Posada are important to their team and have been a big part of the Yankees success, but, Hall Of Fame? No.

i say Posada could prolly be considered border-line, because by the time he is done, he will be close to a .300 lifetime hitter with close to 300HR and close to 2000 hits!

As far as Sheff goes he is a first ballot HOF, he has hit more HR's with a better average than Dale Murphy, Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, and AlKaline just to name a few and he has more RBI's than Pete Rose, Roberto Clemente, and Duke Snider just to name a few and he has more hits than Donnie baseball, Yogi Berra, Duke Snider, Dale Murphy, and Harmon Killebrew to name a few! Plus he will play 3-4 more years and pad thoses numbers barring any major injury! So anyone who questions Sheff being a first ballot HOF is crazy!

Yall have to remember Posada will be looked at as a cather also.

But pitching i would go with Schilling, Randy Johnson, and Smoltz.

825495605[/snapback]

Does he measure up to the current leading candidate of possible Hall of Famers like Rodriguez? No. Like I stated, Posada is a very good player, but he's not HOF material.

How do his batting stats match up with the other catchers?

825496318[/snapback]

There's more to catching than just hitting stats. Compared to Mike Piazza - Posada is quite the hitter that Piazza is, but Posada is a better defensive catcher. Posada may make the HOF, but I just don't see it happening.

Edited by sportsradiotn

Jeter, A-Rod, Sheff, and Posada are going to be first ballot barring any major injuries!

Olerud is one of the most consistant hitters in the modern era!

Matsui has an outside shot of getting into the HOF!

825495127[/snapback]

There is a difference in being a good, even really good player or the hot player for a short period and being a hall of famer. There are a lot better players than these not in the hall of fame. Tony Oliva for example was a better hitter than anyone in Yankees corrent lineup with exception of maybe A-Rod and Sheffield and Oliva is not in the hall. Posada is a good player but not HOF.

Gibson had not only the stuff but also the fire that was necessary to win the big game. And he was the best big game pitcher in baseball history. Schilling is probably the best today.

Yea, but did Gibson face a lineup like this and dominate them?

Cairo

Jeter

Rodriguez

Sheffield

Matsui

Williams

Posada

Olerud

Sierra

with Lofton and Clark coming off the bench? I dont think so! There are 5-6 HOF just in that lineup and 3-4 are prolly first ballot!

And not only did Schilling dominate them, he did it with a bad ankle!

825493925[/snapback]

Cairo-Journeyman, solid role player

Jeter-Intangibe guy, clutch guy. but not among games best hitters

A-Rod-Great hitter

Shef-Great Hitter

Matsui-good hutter, not great certainly not HOF

Williams-Aging used to be good, not great hitter

Posada-Good hitter, not great, not close to HOF

Olerud-Journeyman good hitter in 90's still got a little left

Sierra-One of the best back in the 80's, at end of career

I can't see this lineup could match up with the Mays, Mccovey, Jim Ray Hart Giants of the 60's. Also not better than the Yankees of 64, Red Sox of 67 or Tigers of 68.

Cairo-Journeyman, solid role player

Jeter-Intangibe guy, clutch guy. but not among games best hitters

A-Rod-Great hitter

Shef-Great Hitter

Matsui-good hutter, not great certainly not HOF

Williams-Aging used to be good, not great hitter

Posada-Good hitter, not great, not close to HOF

Olerud-Journeyman good hitter in 90's still got a little left

Sierra-One of the best back in the 80's, at end of career

I can't see this lineup could match up with the Mays, Mccovey, Jim Ray Hart Giants of the 60's.  Also not better than the Yankees of 64, Red Sox of 67 or Tigers of 68.

825496397[/snapback]

Ah yes, another old school guy. ;)