If you had to win one game!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current player - Schilling.  Would have said Clemens until the 7th game of NLCS and he was proven human.

All time - Give me Gibson.  I don't care about lineups, stats, and what not.  He would dominate any period, any batter.

825499206[/snapback]

Amen brother. And also Gibson was a 9 inning guy. During the 68 season he has a 1.12 ERA for the season and threw complete games in most all his starts. Didn't have to depend on bullpen help. He had the baseball "stuff" to dominate but he also had that will not lose mentality that made him the best.

1.12 ERA for over 300 IP in a season--you got to be kidding me.

Amen brother.  And also Gibson was a 9 inning guy.  During the 68 season he has a 1.12 ERA for the season and threw complete games in most all his starts.  Didn't have to depend on bullpen help.  He had the baseball "stuff" to dominate but he also had that will not lose mentality that made him the best.

1.12 ERA for over 300 IP in a season--you got to be kidding me.

825500425[/snapback]

LOL, I would love to see Gibby throw today and a manager come out to take him out because he had thrown 100 pitches or because a lefty was up next and he wanted a better matchup. The next pitch Gibson would have thrown would have been atthe managers head as he was walking out to yank him.

LOL, I would love to see Gibby throw today and a manager come out to take him out because he had thrown 100 pitches or because a lefty was up next and he wanted a better matchup.  The next pitch Gibson would have thrown would have been atthe managers head as he was walking out to yank him.

825500607[/snapback]

Willie Mays tells a story (don't know how much is true and how much is exaggerated) that he hit 1 home run in his career off Gibson. The next time when he was on deck, Gibson was staring st him. Mays swears Gibson was staring at him when he drilled Jim Ray Hart while Hart was batting. Mays says he struck out on 3 pitches and never hit another home run off Gibby. Story probaby better than reality, but a good story.

I used to love the way Gibby would walk halfway between pitchers mound and 3rd base line to glare at hitter who had just homered off him.

Those Gibson-Juan Marichal and Gibson-Fergie Jenkins matchups would last about an hour and a half and end 1-0. Working fast throwing strikes, getting people out. I still watch some of the old games on espn Classic. You ever see the breaking ball Gibby struck Willie Horton out on in 68 series on way to 17 K's that day. had Willie just about sitting on his tail.

I have watched baseball for 40 years and have never enjoyed watching any player as much as Gibson. So as you see I get a little wound up when talking about Gibby.

Did you know your "greatest lineup of all time did not have a single .300 hitter in the lineup.  The 76 Reds had a .308 hitter hitting ninth in the lineup.  And Jeter is a good hitter, but he hit 292 in 2004 , good, but not among the best in the game.

The greatest lineup of all time was Rose, Morgan, Foster,Perez, Bench, Griffey SR, Concepcin,Geronimo.  Geronimo hit ninth in Wprld series and had a 308 BA in regular season.

No Schilling did not beat the greatest lineup of all time, not even close.

Jeter 292, A Rod 286, Matsui 298, Shef 290, Bernie 262, Posada 272, Cairo 292, Siera 244.  Not even close, if you want to make it a numbers thing.

825498288[/snapback]

Batting average is just slightly better than worthless.

Look at on base percentage and slugging percentage...that's where you see how good a team is on offense.

Here's the best example...Mark McGwire vs. Kerry Robinson. Which one would you rather have in your lineup? Robinson is about a .295-300 career hitter, McGwire was about a 270 hitter. So Robinson is the better hitter, right? Does more for scoring runs, right?

Batting average is just slightly better than worthless.

Look at on base percentage and slugging percentage...that's where you see how good a team is on offense.

Here's the best example...Mark McGwire vs. Kerry Robinson.  Which one would you rather have in your lineup?  Robinson is about a .295-300 career hitter, McGwire was about a 270 hitter.  So Robinson is the better hitter, right?  Does more for scoring runs, right?

825502759[/snapback]

Would you like to compare the 76 Reds offensive stats to the 2004 yankees? My point wasn't BA is everything, just a remark on what someone called one of the best all time lineups/got to have at least a couple of 300 hitting tablesitters. You need your McGwire's and your Robinson's (although I was comparing to Rose and Morgan, not kerry).

I still stand behind the quote i made, that the Yanks lineup is one of the best of all-time, if not the best!

825504889[/snapback]

That's what makes life fun, if we all agreed there would be nothing to debate. I will say without a doubt the 76 Reds (and I'm not a Reds fan) was the best lineup since 1964 when I first remember watching baseball. I can't speak personally for any team before that time.

And the 2004 Yankees had a really good lineup, but just not top to bottom strong enough to be one of best of all time (IMO).

That's what makes life fun, if we all agreed there would be nothing to debate.  I will say without a doubt the 76 Reds (and I'm not a Reds fan) was the best lineup since 1964 when I first remember watching baseball.  I can't speak personally for any team before that time.

And the 2004 Yankees had a really good lineup, but just not top to bottom strong enough to be one of best of all time (IMO).

825505197[/snapback]

See thats what i like about all you guys on CoachT, we can all agree to disagree! thumb