If you had to win one game!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeter-Intangibe guy, clutch guy. but not among games best hitters

LOL.........OK, sure he isnt, he just has 1734 hits and a .315 lifetime batting average! He has more hits than A-rod, Chipper Jones, Mark McGwire and Jim Thome who are all future HOF! He has a better average than Jackie Robinson, Don Mattingly. Pete Rose, Willie Mays, Barry Bonds, Mickey Mantle, and Duke Snider, just to name a few! He also led MLB in hits in 1999 and he is just 30 years old with alot of time to pad those stats! And he is not among the games best hitters? Would you like to retract that statement? I can post his stats if you would like!

In all honesty i dont care alot for Jeter because he plays for the Yanks, but I give credit where credit is due and JETER IS AMONG THE GAMES BEST HITTERS!

I can't see this lineup could match up with the Mays, Mccovey, Jim Ray Hart Giants of the 60's.  Also not better than the Yankees of 64, Red Sox of 67 or Tigers of 68.

825496397[/snapback]

Alright, here is alittle something I put together for you and remember the numbers dont lie!

The 3 guys you names McCovey, Mays, and Hart combined for a .283 BA, 6546 Hits, and 1351 HRs

So i picked the yanks best three: Jeter, A-Rod, and Sheffield and they combine for a .306 BA, 5616 Hits, and 946 HRs

So your guys are better right, WRONG! Sheff has said he is playing a few more years, Jeters just 30 and A-rod is just 29, by the time theses guys are done they will have blown these guys numbers out of the water!

And also the rest of the Yanks lineup(without Jeter, A-Rod, and Sheff) has combined for a 283 BA, with 8304 Hits, and 1041 HR! And 3 of those 6 guys are just between the age 30-33 years old!

Now did McCovey, Mays and Hart have support like that around them? I doubt it! The Yanks lineup has to be the most deadly lineup in the history of baseball and Schilling has shut that lineup down!

Edited by gotmilk?

I believe the facts I have posted, has silenced the critics for a while?

825498278[/snapback]

Did you know your "greatest lineup of all time did not have a single .300 hitter in the lineup. The 76 Reds had a .308 hitter hitting ninth in the lineup. And Jeter is a good hitter, but he hit 292 in 2004 , good, but not among the best in the game.

The greatest lineup of all time was Rose, Morgan, Foster,Perez, Bench, Griffey SR, Concepcin,Geronimo. Geronimo hit ninth in Wprld series and had a 308 BA in regular season.

No Schilling did not beat the greatest lineup of all time, not even close.

Jeter 292, A Rod 286, Matsui 298, Shef 290, Bernie 262, Posada 272, Cairo 292, Siera 244. Not even close, if you want to make it a numbers thing.

It was a different game back then. The baseballs stayed in play much longer than they do today, thus they didn't have as much zip when hit and guys had jobs in the offseason to make ends meet - they weren't paid millions. These guys have an opportunity that the old guys did not - to workout and work on your skills year round. The current day players don't really need spring training as they are already in shape and are ready to go where the players (pre-80) had to use spring training to get back into baseball shape. So, I can see your point on the Yankees current threesome...but, I would have liked to seen the golden oldies with the same opportunities these guys have had. Aaron may have had 900 home runs and Mays would have crushed 800.

Here's an old time situation I don't believe you could beat. Find me a better twosome - as to run production - in the game than Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhig. Career .330+ average, 1100+ home runs, 3500+ rbi, 3000+ runs. They played in the 20's-30's when the carry of the ball wasn't as great and the parks were bigger.

I enjoy watching the stars of today, but I really enjoy reading about the legends of yesterday.

Of the pitchers currently playing, I would take Schilling but all-time I would take Gibson and then Koufax and Drysdale (another reason I hate the Dodgers).

radioguy,

I agree with you. Ruth and Gehrig would be my all-time duo. In the modern era though, my Giants, Mays and McCovey, were hard to beat.

1976 BIG RED MACHINE

3 HALL OF FAMERS--BENCH, MORGAN AND PEREZ

4 IF YOU COUNT ROSE WHO NO ONE CAN DENY WOULD BE THERE IF NOT FOR BANISHMENT

WHICH LEAVES CONCEPCION WHO YOU CAN ARGUE SHOULD BE IN THE HALL, BEST SS OF HIS TIME AND 9 TIME ALL STAR.

GEORGE FOSTER 1977 MVP, HIT 52 HR'S IN 77

GRIFFEY, SR. JUST ABOUT AS GOOD AS JUNIOR JUST OVERSHADOWED ON THIS GREAT TEAM.

AND THIS LEAVES GERONIMO A SOLID PLAYER AND CF WHO HIT .308 IN 1976.

So, I tell you not as opinion but as fact, the greatest lineup of all time. You might could argue the 27 Yankees, but I'm old, not that old though, never saw them play.