best coach

oaktown130

You have to include the gentlemen in Wilson County first of all Bud Brandon and his coaching staff have done a great job with a young school (winning district and region last year) and also you have to put the MJ staff in there as well there are a lot of state tourney apperamces and wins on these staffs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The names you all are talking about are the best at building programs. They get and develop talent, some of which now comes because of the past success of their programs. Clarkrange, Jackson County and Shelbyville all have players regularly move into their area. Success attracts interest and thus players.

Jim Brown built his program largely due to his involvement in AAU. Jackson County has AAU programs at all different age levels. If you play basketball in Jackson County, you will play AAU.

Insell has a heavy hand in the AAU realm as well. Many of his players that move in are first players from other towns/cities that played AAU for Shelbyville Sport Shop.

I'm not sure what Rogers does as far as AAU goes, but it doesn't hurt that when you lose a Michelle Snow to graduation that you have players fall into your lap by moving in.

These coaches built program, not just had good teams.

The best coaches to me though are the ones who do a lot with a little. Brown, Insell and Rogers are all great coaches, but they have something to work with too.

The best coaches continually turn out players that are overachievers. They produce players that improve from year to year and during the course of a season. And they don't just have one or two big years but are powers even in "rebuilding" years.

They may not be the best team in the state this year, but they have the best coach....the Little Man from down at the ville.

Other coaches in TN that are excellent are Jim Brown, Jill Prudden, Chris Friar, and Lynn Burkey. There are several teams that have good coaches but these are the BEST!!

the best coach in tn would have to go to coach kevin mcmillan of westview high school. he knows his stuff. he turned kendall cavin into miss basketball. she was not a good player coming into his system. sure, he yells at them in game im sure you all hear if u have been but right after the games the girls are right there talking to him. Im pretty sure that not alot of players want to talk to their coach right after he has yelled at u in front of everyone but those girls do not care becuz they know that he is just trying to better their game.

Coaches with no gold balls....how can they be the "best"?  Burkey, Friar, McMillian, Moore....all are good but they haven't won the BIG on yet...good but not great.

825508261[/snapback]

Burkey is only in his second year as a high school head coach after nearly 20 years as an assistant.I believe Oak Ridge had a couple of gold balls while he was an assistant there and I don't believe they have had one since he left.(you can read whatever you want into that) He made the state semi-finals his first year as a head coach at Greeneville. However, he has an illustrious record coaching aau, I believe his summer team came in second in the NATIONALS this year. He and Insell are perhaps the best in AAA, because they spend their summers honing their players skills. Burkey has also devoted a great deal of time to Jr. Olympics, and manages to find time for his full time teaching job. If you want to measure success in gold balls then maybe he isn't your man but you would be hard pressed to find a coach as dedicated not only to his team but to the sport as Lynn Burkey.

Burkey is only in his second year as a high school head coach after nearly 20 years as an assistant.I believe Oak Ridge had a couple of gold balls while he was an assistant there and I don't believe they have had one since he left.(you can read whatever you want into that) He made the state semi-finals his first year as a head coach at Greeneville. However, he has an illustrious record coaching aau, I believe his summer team came in second in the NATIONALS this year. He and Insell are perhaps the best in AAA, because they spend their summers honing their players skills. Burkey has also devoted a great deal of time to Jr. Olympics, and manages to find time for his full time teaching job. If you want to measure success in gold balls then maybe he isn't your man but you would be hard pressed to find a coach as dedicated not only to his team but to the sport as Lynn Burkey.

825508600[/snapback]

I think that is great!!! someone actually figured out that Oak Ridge's Jill Prudden wasnt all that was behind those state championships!!! Coach Burkey not only loves the game but he loves the girls he coaches!!! HE would do absolutely anything for the girls!!! Dont get me wrong Coach Prudden is an awesome coach but really why did Burkey leav??? that's what i want to know!!! good luck this year to both the teams!!!

I think that is great!!! someone actually figured out that Oak Ridge's Jill Prudden wasnt all that was behind those state championships!!! Coach Burkey not only loves the game but he loves the girls he coaches!!! HE would do absolutely anything for the girls!!! Dont get me wrong Coach Prudden is an awesome coach but really why did Burkey leav??? that's what i want to know!!!  good luck this year to both the teams!!!

825513398[/snapback]

I am not sure why Burkey left Oak Ridge , but I know he came to Greeneville because it is his home town and one heck of an opportunity to transform a talented, under-achieving program into a championship contender.

Parents at GHS are thrilled to have him as both a coach and educator. He is well liked by all of the students, not just his girls. His predecessor, Jack Blair, was the only coach this program had ever known and will remain one of the most well-liked and respected coaches in East Tennessee. Burkey continues that tradition and just may add a gold ball to the trophy case in the near future.

Edited by barb