I have heard it all

enigma

I was a part of an AAU game where we were working on our press. The score got ugly and the opposing team's parent were yelling at us, but we were preparing for a much tougher game to come.

In reading that the coach is a poor sportsman because they run the score up, what about Pat Summit beating teams 110 to 39? That was just a couple of years ago.

I heard a rumor that a team played the entire game in a hand stand position! They shot with their feet. :blink:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a part of an AAU game where we were working on our press.  The score got ugly and the opposing team's parent were yelling at us, but we were preparing for a much tougher game to come.

In reading that the coach is a poor sportsman because they run the score up, what about Pat Summit beating teams 110 to 39?  That was just a couple of years ago.

I heard a rumor that a team played the entire game in a hand stand position!  They shot with their feet.  :blink:

825508587[/snapback]

HAHA! Nice!

I was a part of an AAU game where we were working on our press.  The score got ugly and the opposing team's parent were yelling at us, but we were preparing for a much tougher game to come.

In reading that the coach is a poor sportsman because they run the score up, what about Pat Summit beating teams 110 to 39?  That was just a couple of years ago.

I heard a rumor that a team played the entire game in a hand stand position!  They shot with their feet.  :blink:

825508587[/snapback]

Let me ask the question if your up by oh 30 - 50 points and still pressing because your working on your press for a tougher opponent, how much can you really gain from pressing a weak team that can't break a press anyway? It would sound like basically you would be practicing layups against a team that you are beating by this kind of margin.

"Let me ask the question if your up by oh 30 - 50 points and still pressing because your working on your press for a tougher opponent, how much can you really gain from pressing a weak team that can't break a press anyway? It would sound like basically you would be practicing layups against a team that you are beating by this kind of margin."

As the team had only been together for about a week, and the game was decided early, we had an opportunity to make the game a practice. The point was not for a lay-up drill, but so that our players understood the position on the court that the coach wanted.

BTW...this was the same game that the ref asked the coach to call off the press during a dead ball and the coach complied.

This is also different from high school in the respect that you pay for these game out of your pocket and go into a tournament expecting to play good competition. When you have games like these, you have to salvage some value for your money.

Also, I am not an avocate of pressing when the game is out of hand. But on the other hand, I cannot stand the stall-game in high school.

It is a team's job to play every play of the game as hard as they can. If that involves pressing at the end of a blowout game...so be it. Some teams rely greatly on their press. How can a team continue to improve if they stop working on what made them great? I'm not an advocate of running up scores, but I also don't think a team should lay down because the other team is no good.

It sounds like the coach and a lot of you have never heard of a very valuable four letter word, C-L-A-S-S. Its a great concept that many of you should try and pick up on. thumb

825508695[/snapback]

By the way C-L-A-S-S is a five letter word. And that has nothing to do with it. It is about constant improvement for your team.

I spoke with a former Lady Vol about why Pat Summit ran the score up when it was apparent that the win was at hand. She told me that it was Pat's opinion that slowing down because the score was lop-sided was particpating for less than 40 minutes. Pat never wanted a team that would slow up because the other team could not run with them. It would have been training to go less than 100% all the time.

Now...is Pat Summit a person without C-L-A-S? (four-letter-word-version)

Last time I checked, Pat's girls were on scholarship. For the most part, :rolleyes:, high school girls are not. Let's keep some perspective here.

A coach that keeps the pressure on and running up scores might find scheduling a little tougher outside of his district in future years. It's a classless act. The subs should be in and after they beat the press a few times, call off the dogs. You are NOT getting work on your press when the other team is only offering token resistance. If the subs are scoring at will, that's another story. A minute is still 60 seconds and you don't want the subs to go into a stall. I'm talking about pressing with the game in hand. That's an ego trip whether the ref tells the coach or not.

By the way C-L-A-S-S is a five letter word.  And that has nothing to do with it.  It is about constant improvement for your team.

825508703[/snapback]

CLASS has everything to do with it when it comes to devloping our youth of today into quality players and individuals.... I know it has been thrown around many times with the National Federation of High School Sports on how to address this issue and in some sports changes have been made to give the official more latitude to assure that sportsmanship is carried out throughout the game... And yes this is a SPORTSMANSHIP ISSUE....

Was the refere correct probably not.... I have seen so many games across this great state of ours and I will have to say that I SUPPORT WHAT THE REFERE DID WHOLEHEARTEDLY.... Maybe if more school administrators would hold their coaching staffs more accountable for their lack of Charatecter, Sportsmanship and Unethical behavior then this problem would go away.....

Yes I want to WIN more than anyone.... But not at the expense of demoralizing other teams....

Edited by Sportster

Last time I checked, Pat's girls were on scholarship.  For the most part,  :rolleyes:, high school girls are not.  Let's keep some perspective here.

A coach that keeps the pressure on and running up scores might find scheduling a little tougher outside of his district in future years.  It's a classless act.  The subs should be in and after they beat the press a few times, call off the dogs.  You are NOT getting work on your press when the other team is only offering token resistance.  If the subs are scoring at will, that's another story.  A minute is still 60 seconds and you don't want the subs to go into a stall.  I'm talking about pressing with the game in hand.  That's an ego trip whether the ref tells the coach or not.

825508888[/snapback]

What does a scholarship have to do with how hard you play? Give me a break. Basketball is basketball. Let's get some perspective! Play as hard as you can all the time, and listen to your coach whether your in college, high school, or middle school. If he tells you to press then press. Also there are teams that press all the time. And if a game is out of hand and you have subs in are you supposed to let that time go to waste by not playing your game. No you let your 2nd team press and get better. As a coach you shouldn't run up the score on purpose, but you shouldn't take away quality experience from any of your players either.

Don't rip me on this one, I wouldn't do this, I would call off the press, but......

Steve Spurrier once said: "It's my job to score, it's the other coach's job to stop me.""

At some point it becomes the losing team's job to have some pride and stop the other team. If that means leaving your starters in against their scrubs, then do it. If this was not a district game, don't schedule that team again.

I personally think the coach should call off the dogs, but there are possible problems with that. Their team could slip into bad habits if they are usually expected to press nonstop. You can't let playing an inferior team harm your team's chemistry and habits.