Summer and Fall basket ball

I was talking with an AAU coach do today that is catching a lot of grief over taking a team to summer and fall tournaments. It seams like some high school and middle school coaches do not want thier player playing for any one but them. Why is that ? It seams to to me that good coach that is trying to build a program would want thier players to get as much floor time as possiable. I know Sellbyville has used these summer teams to really improve the tallent there and some of the best tallent in east Tennessee have played in the summer on AAU teams.

Come on coaches let us know why you do not want your player working hard to get better.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because only a few of the aau programs are legit. Most are coached by parents or wanna be's who only is in it for ego's. Find a legit program and the coach will be supportive.

825521363[/snapback]

Just what I was thinking. Also the parents who coach usually only care about their kid and not the whole team getting better. Isn't that what aau is for to get better? I wouldn't mind aau if the kids where playing for a legit coach. But just someone to drive them to games and also doubles as a coach, nahhh.

Edited by bigAsports

So if the post I have read are correct to let you kid play AAU is not a good thing?

Most AAU programs are not going to help the kids get better and if a parent is the coach they are only in it for thier kid and that is why high school and middle school coach do not want the kids from thier teams playing AAU?

Is this correct?

If all that is true why have so many kids started to play AAU and Fall ball?

The things that I hear is if the school coach is not in control it is the wrong thing for the kids.

I know that some school coaches are involed in AAU and Fall ball, but what if the school coach is only interested in one or two kids and promoting them to colleges is not AAU basketball a good way to get a kid notice by some collge scout? Some times small schools do not get much press and a kid with potential may not get noticed by collges.

Let me know what you guys think!

Personally, I would like to see TSSAA have a better ruling concerning summer AAU programs. Assistant TSSAA coaches should be allowed the opportunity to gain coaching experiencing, help improve their schools programs/players, and this would allow head coaches to keep a better eye on their players concerning burnout, overworking, bad habits, and continue continuity in the way things are taught. But, alas, AAU is often left to parents and/others who aren't as concerned about a particular school but only looking out for their children's success, their own ego, and more concerned with winning tournaments then about the kids they are coaching. This would not be the case if someone in house was coaching players they already know, in a system the athletes already have an understanding of, and players they generally already care for. While this is not feasible at smaller schools and programs, if a respected TSSAA assistant coach is coaching a team in my area, a varsity coach at a smaller program would more than likely entrust said player to be a part of the team.

Look, you can say all you want about the motivation someone has in creating and developing an AAU/traveling team. I am a father that has coached (actaully assisted) on a traveling team. Do I have the ability to teach some of the finer nuances of the game. No. Can I provide girls the opportunity to play other girls thier age to gain experience. Yes! Can I watch our High School coach's strategy and plays, copy them and try to implement them in a game situation? Yes.

Frankly, looking at some of the assistant coaches coaching JV teams, I don't know that my daughter would be any better off playing for most of them. The best thing about playing AAU is getting to see the way other kids do things, the playing experience, and learning how to go into a strange enviroment and still play within yourself. If all that most kids did was play high school ball, they would never get a chance to play until they were a junior or senior, and then they wouldn't be equiped to play at that time.

Would I like Assistant Coaches to have the opportunity to work with players in AAU? Yes. But don't force me to make my girl play for a designated person.

And you are also painting a very broad brush with your "parent in for his/her own kid" description. There are a lot of former players that are now parents that have a lot to offer to kids.

And I will throw this out about your coaching idea. Say you loosen the restrictions. Now, do you have people (parents) out there complaining that this guy/lady coaching is only out there to promote him/herself, and has no regard for the players?

I think a lot of high school coaches talk out of both sides of their mouth on this issue. No, I don't want them playing AAU basketball (for whatever reason). But yes, I will welcome with open arms that talented individual that has gotten a lot better since last year due to her AAU experience.

As to the burnout issue, do you talk to your daughter? You and she are the best judge on this issue, not a high school coach that sees her 2 hours a day for 100 days a year.

An as an aside, you go to certain AAU tournaments, there may be 20 or more college coaches there that will see players play. Until you get to state playoff time, how often can a college coach get out and see your daughter play? If you have aspirations for college basketball, here is your chance.

I have had parents who coach their kids in aau and taught them everything a kid should not do. Now thats not to say all parents have no clue on what they are doing. But the majority I have run across have no background for it and end up hurting more than helping. Why teach or coach if you are going to give bad habits? Yes the game experience is great but only if they learn to play the right way. I am not saying I am against aau. But there are alot of situations aau brings that I don't like. Sadly many parents try to live through their kids athletics. If that doesn't apply to you then take it like a grain of salt.

Well there have been some great post. Thanks for the imput I just want to see what other people thought about the subject.

I just hate to think that a good coach that is trying to help young kids improve their skills and then gets bad mouthed.

The coach I talked with took a young group of girls last year and won a National Championship with them and then gets bad mouthed by thier school coaches for doing so. If you ask me he's doing something right or he could not win and I think that these kids school coaches should be glad they have someone like that is willing to work with these kids in the summer.

I just wanted to see what some other people thought.

Well there have been some great post. Thanks for the imput I just want to see what other people thought about the subject.

I just hate to think that a good coach that is trying to help young kids improve their skills and then gets bad mouthed.

The coach I talked with took a young group of girls last year and won a National  Championship with them and then gets bad mouthed by thier school coaches for doing so. If you ask me he's doing something right  or he could not win and I think that these kids  school coaches should be glad they have someone like that is willing to work with these kids in the summer.

I just wanted to see what some other people thought.

825523809[/snapback]

Not all coaches who win are good coaches. I am not at all saying the coach you are talking about fits into that catagory. I'm just saying some look good because they have talented players. :lol: