Cheap shots?

letsb4real

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Take a charge if possible

2) Jump with the guy and foul him hard

but... undercutting someone who is already in the air is very unecessary just because someone tries to dunk on you does not mean they are trying to embarrass you that is a high percentage shot, you dont undercut someone when they are shooting a three

825526537[/snapback]

yes undercutting is dirty and dangerous and it will be dealt with by the referees. I've been pushed in the back while i was in the air going for a layup after i stole the ball from a guy. He apologized afterwards. His emotions just took over and I understood, I would have been frustrated too. But I don't do things like that. My thing is as long as you're going for the ball it's fair game. But most players complain just because you give them a foul instead of letting them dunk.

If a player goes up for a dunk or lay-up and he is undercutted, there was no attempt at the ball. So I think the ref should at least T up the player if this happens. Watch any NBA or NCAA game, there is NO undercutting and if their is you have situation that turn into fights and brawls. Nothing good can come out of undercutting a player and anyone who wants to justify it, needs to understand the consequences undercutting a player can have.

if a team is beating a team pretty badly and is tryin to dunk to show off they deserve to get undercut cause they are showin no respect. and getting fouled is part of basketball deal with it. no player should want to get dunked on or have your team dunked on. if you dont want to get fouled dont try to dunk on someone. if you dont want to get undercut stay close to the floor and shoot a lay-up.

I like how everyone says "do whatever it takes" That is a great lesson to teach kids. Isn't that ultimately what coaches and adults are supposed to be doing with these kids is teaching them about life? So tell them to do whatever it takes. Lie if you have to. Cheat on tests to get better grades. I agree that going up and trying to block a shot and giving a hard foul, or trying to take a charge is great strategy but undercutting or taking someone out is cheap. Don't forget these are 16, 17, and 18 year old kids.

anyone who says whatever it takes has no idea about the game of basketball. And 123kid u should no longer be allowed to post on coachT. If u get on the break and u can dunk ur gonna dunk. Regardless of the score. I have had kids tell me. "man i can't wait till i can dunk so i don't have to worry about missing my lay-ups." No one deserves to get undercut thats why its an intentional foul. Jump with the kid and if u want to stop him from dunking foul him hard with ur chest on his and be man enough to really stop him from dunking. Undercutting is the sissy way out and anyone who says otherwise has no business even watching a basketball game.

if a team is beating a team pretty badly and is tryin to dunk to show off they deserve to get undercut cause they are showin no respect. and getting fouled is part of basketball deal with it. no player should want to get dunked on or have your team dunked on. if you dont want to get fouled dont try to dunk on someone. if you dont want to get undercut stay close to the floor and shoot a lay-up.

825530003[/snapback]

That's probably the most rediculous thing I believe I have ever heard....as already said, dunking is a part of basketball, undercutting is a sissy act by a weaker athlete. I don't even know if i would call them an athlete, an athlete will appreciate a nice dunk, ess. on somebody, regardless of who is dunking it, only because they know what it takes to get it done. You may not like that they are dunking it on your team, team mate, or you, but you'll appreciate the athletic ability.

Am I saying let someone dunk on you...Heck naw, what I'm saying is, is that there are better ways to try and stop a dunk then taking someones legs out from under them. besides if you udercut the wrong person, your liable to get embarrassed worse when he gets up and knocks your head off. Can't say I approve of that action, but I can't say I blame him either. Undercutting is dangerous, i've seen a guy's carreer ended because he was undercut, he came down on the back of his neck..Yeah guys, that's what you need to do to stop a dunk...Great advice from all the "whatever it takes" and "expect it to happen".. I hope that none of you are coaches that are saying that, but even more so I hope none of you are players that are saying that.

I like this topic and hope players really pay attention to it. I was at a game at McMinn Central when they played Meigs Co. Central was beating Meigs pretty bad and Beau Brown got a steal and was going to take it in for a dunk. Robbie Cornelius ran from 15 ft behind him and put him into the bleachers. Most fans booed him, students jeered, and the ref awarded an intentional foul. Now trust me, I am a Central fan, but Robbie Cornelius desrerved no intentional foul. Many players getting beat like that would try to "save face" by undercutting in that situation. Robbie Cornelius jumped with Beau, tried to block the shot, and in the process committed a hard foul. I have always been impressed with the way he plays the game and that play only improved my attitude towards him. I feel bad that the ref gave him an intentional, players on both sides knew it wasn't. Players could really learn from his attitude. An attitude that says, no easy baskets, but no punk*** shots from behind either. Good luck to Meigs and I look forward to seeing Robbie at the next level.

I would also like to add that a Sammy Perkinson coached team is a hard nosed team that plays the game the way it is supposed to be played.

My opinon is this... If a guy was trying to dunk on me, I have to say that I would foul him. I would try to give him 2 shots 15 feet away rather than and easy two above the rim. Either take the charge or go up with him, NEVER UNDERCUT.

Undercutting is the most dangerous foul in basketball. Thats a great way to end a guys career.

BIG BEN

My opinon is this... If a guy was trying to dunk on me, I have to say that I would foul him.  I would try to give him 2 shots 15 feet away rather than and easy two above the rim.  Either take the charge or go up with him, NEVER UNDERCUT.

825534949[/snapback]

What makes me mad is when a player goes up with him and fouls, can't reach the ball even though he obviously tried for it, and they call an intentional. And at Bartlett, we don't have many kids who can get up and reach the ball, lol.