Rockwood Tigers

themagicrooster

How long has Coach Lane been at Rockwood?  I agree he is a great coach, but all great high school coaches must have good athletes.  Without good athletes, a great coach can become a mediocre coach.  This was told to me by a great high school football coach many years ago.  He won and won and so on.  Then he ran out of tallent and had one or two losing seasons.  Suddenly the fans thought he was terrible.                                            Not only is Coach Lane a great coach but he is a good person, who really cares about his players and friends.

825673041[/snapback]

Thats the best compliment you can give a person. He really is a good man and well respected in God's little town of Rockwood. As far as your other question I think Coach Lane started in 1992 as head coach. Coach Lane does get good talent most every year and that comes from the Dixie Youth and travel league coaches that put their time in teaching kids baseball. Rockwood has a great bunch people at the complex that really care about the kids also. They work hard to make it enjoyable for everyone to come and play & watch baseball . This results in more players . More players means more competition . More competition means better athletes. Keep up the good work. Coach Lane (win or lose) I will always be behind you 100%.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 92 is right also. I know it's between 10-15 years.

825673153[/snapback]

Just some FYI history......

Coach Lane's First Year at Rockwood was 1993 as an assistant to Coach Lee Wilkerson. His first year as the Head Coach was 1994, leading Rockwood to its 2nd district tournament championship in 3 yrs (we lost in the regional first round to York at RSCC).

The old baseball field was tore down in late Fall of 2003. My freshman year tryouts were on it in October, then it was gone. We played our home games at Roane State in 93 - 95. In 1996, RSCC did not allow us to use the field and we played all 29 games on the road. My last practice my Senior Year in 1996 was the first time the city let us on the current field. 1997 was the first HS game played on the field. Well over 1/2 of my baseball practices from 93-96 were in the paved parking lot beside the current basketball gym, in fact, 95% of our practices my senior year was in the parking lot or in the batting cage that was behind the football field house.

Rockwood finished 2nd to Oliver Springs in 1997 and lost to Dekalb County in the Regional First Round.

Then 3 major changes occurred that has lead to Rockwood's recent success.

1. Coach Lane got the team to believe it would win and set its goals past just making the regionals. Prior to that making out of the district was an accomplishment.

2. The talent at RHS has greatly improved since Coach Lane's first few years. (I feel safe to say since I was on the team the first 4 yrs he was at Rockwood).

3. In 1998, Rockwood moved to Single A. Prior to that Rockwood had 4 total district championships in the school's history. Look at the results since then.

In another sidenote, Coach Lane now has over 220 wins at Rockwood in 12 seasons as the head coach, which is impressive considering our history and the fact that we were 30-53 in his first 3 years as head coach.

................................................................................................................................

CAK won the District 3-A title in Newport tonight.

Cosby led by 2 in the Bottom of the seventh of Game 1. With two outs and a 3-2 Count CAK slugged a three-run walk-off home run to end it.

................................................................................................................................

Whoever reported the above is incorrect.

It was a tie ball game 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh and with two outs and

a 3-2 count, Deane Thompson - the number 5 batter in CAKs lineup hit a

walk off 2 run homer bringing in Ryan Cooper.

Final score ... 5-3

825672485[/snapback]

Thanks for reporting that, the report I had was via cell phone.

I think it's funny how about 2 months ago, some of you same rockwood people were bashing coach lane because he wasn't practicing enough, was only thinking about going to Roane State to coach, giving up on the team because it was suppose to be a down year, etc. Now, he does what he has always done, and your back on the bandwagon!

Some of you rockwood faithful were trying to run him out of town during the middle of the season because he was trying to better himself, career wise, by going back to school to get his masters's, and to possibly move on to coaching at the college level. The move to Roane State didn't work out for the immediate future, but don't be suprised if others aren't knocking on his door when he get's that masters in his hand. I predict that when that happens, some of you will be ready to 'hang' him again!

David Lane, as has been already noted, is a good man and good teacher of the game. He has taken a program that was suppose to be having a down year, due to many underclassman having to step-up, and again, made Rockwood a contender. He is well known for teaching the mechanics of the game to each player on his team, not just the one's that can help immediately. He loves teaching the game and that is what set's him apart from other coaches in this area. He gives his heart and soul to the game and his players. I have known him for quite some time and have never known him to let the "doubters" bring him down. Actually, he thrives off of it.

So, those of you that have "turncoated" and are now back on the Lane wagon, let this be a lesson to you. He really doesn't care if your with him or not. He's going to complete his mission, with you or without you.

Best of luck to Coach Lane and Rockwood baseball!

I think it's funny how about 2 months ago, some of you same rockwood people were bashing coach lane because he wasn't practicing enough, was only thinking about going to Roane State to coach, giving up on the team because it was suppose to be a down year, etc. Now, he does what he has always done, and your back on the bandwagon!

Some of you rockwood faithful were trying to run him out of town during the middle of the season because he was trying to better himself, career wise, by going back to school to get his masters's, and to possibly move on to coaching at the college level. The move to Roane State didn't work out for the immediate future, but don't be suprised if others aren't knocking on his door when he get's that masters in his hand. I predict that when that happens, some of you will be ready to 'hang' him again!

David Lane, as has been already noted, is a good man and good teacher of the game. He has taken a program that was suppose to be having a down year, due to many underclassman having to step-up, and again, made Rockwood a contender. He is well known for teaching the mechanics of the game to each player on his team, not just the one's that can help immediately. He loves teaching the game and that is what set's him apart from other coaches in this area. He gives his heart and soul to the game and his players. I have known him for quite some time and have never known him to let the "doubters" bring him down. Actually, he thrives off of it.

So, those of you that have "turncoated" and are now back on the Lane wagon, let this be a lesson to you. He really doesn't care if your with him or not. He's going to complete his mission, with you or without you.

Best of luck to Coach Lane and Rockwood baseball!

825673376[/snapback]

The going to Roane State was coming from other places within the county and we all know where it came from.

I remember the first time I watched Rockwood was about five years ago and I remember seeing 27 kids on the team. Those kinds of numbers are unreal for a baseball and that told me all I needed to know right there about Coach Lane. If nearly 30 kids are willing to stick it out everyday when many weren't going to play it must mean that they love their coach.

To me, Coach Lane has made Rockwood a baseball town and it also made me mad when some people were talking negatively about his dedication to the team. Anybody who knows Coach Lane knows he'd play baseball 365 days a year if you let him and he'd be there to help his kids 365 days of the year if they need it.

If Coach Lane ever decides to move on then the people of Rockwood should be happy for him and name a street or something like that after him instead of getting mad at someone for wanted to accomplish the same success at a higher level.

But I hope he stays because beginning next year most of the privates will be gone in Class A and he could bring home some state title to "Tiger Town".

I remember the first time I watched Rockwood was about five years ago and I remember seeing 27 kids on the team. Those kinds of numbers are unreal for a baseball and that told me all I needed to know right there about Coach Lane. If nearly 30 kids are willing to stick it out everyday when many weren't going to play it must mean that they love their coach.

To me, Coach Lane has made Rockwood a baseball town and it also made me mad when some people were talking negatively about his dedication to the team. Anybody who knows Coach Lane knows he'd play baseball 365 days a year if you let him and he'd be there to help his kids 365 days of the year if they need it.

If Coach Lane ever decides to move on then the people of Rockwood should be happy for him and name a street or something like that after him instead of getting mad at someone for wanted to accomplish the same success at a higher level.

But I hope he stays because beginning next year most of the privates will be gone in Class A and he could bring home some state title to "Tiger Town".

825673554[/snapback]

Not only the players but his students.

Would it be Coach Lane Lane?

825673554[/snapback]