TMSAA East (Small School) Sectional...

TheAnswer9

Yes was last years Tourney better than this one, in my opinion it was because the semi games where down to the wire especially Huntsville bears Vs catons, 1 in OT after the bears went into half time with a 20 point lead but catons came out fired up and change the momentum. Congrats to holston for winning there 2nd championship in a role but if the bears would have been in the Championship it would be only 1.

825575333[/snapback]

Just exactly where were these bears? In hibernation??????

Holston would have beat them like they did the other three teams. Maybe next year for the Bears, that's what Chicago always says.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious if there are any more "reflections" of this years girls tournament. Kaz thought he would try a few:

-Kaz was somewhat surprised OS quit pressing after the half of the championship game because it was getting them some easy baskets off turnovers. The press seemed to allow OS to play at a pace that favored them, while going to a half-court defense at least allowed Wartburg the opportunity to work the ball for offensive opportunities. Against Oneida it made more sense for OS to quit pressing because it wasn't creating as many turnovers and they still had a c'ship game to play on Saturday. The half time scores reflect this OS 19 OMS 13 and OS 21 WCMS 10.

-Kaz thought Wartburg was actually REWARDED for finishing 2nd in their Conference Tournament. There is not exact science to creating the sectional tournament bracket, but the two most successful teams met in the semi-finals. This did not happen last year, as OS and Rogersville were both undefeated, and met in the Championship Game. That is how the tournament should, in fairness, be set up. I'm sure OS would feel the same way if Oneida had upset them in the semi-final.

-Kaz thought Christopher was the "Belle of the Ball", and her MVP award was most deserving. She will not be replaced by a better player next year! Thats meant to be a complement, not a put down.

-more later, thumb Kaz thumb

Kaz,

The half-time score was O.S. 19 CMS 11. Outside of the first 4 Minutes of the game Wartburg handled the press fairly well. They only allowed 1 fg in the second quarter and I think O.S. decided to play at a pace that would give them control of the game without gambling. As a matter of fact Wartburg only gave up 7 feild goals in the game outside of the first 4 minutes. Oneida got the same chance to win the C'ship as any other team at Caton's. We all knew going in that O.S. was the team to beat so, I don't see how Wartburg was rewarded. Besides the buzz at the A2 tournament was that Oneida wanted some of O.S. Oneida has beat Wartburg 3 times this year once by 1 and the other due to 9-40 shooting from the floor. There is a good chance that had you beaten O.S. in the semi-finals your luck may have ran out. (at any rate it would have been no cakewalk!) Besides how many times has Oneida won the East Tennessee Champ.? My count has Wartburg (1998 & 2002) and O.S. (2003 & 2005) with 2 Championships each.

Has Oneida ever even been to the Finals?

Edited by bigdave25

Whoa, BigD! You said it yourself, three games, three losses against Oneida head to head. I really see no difference in whether it was 1 point or 8 points or 13, bottom line is Oneida won every opportunity they were given. My implication of Wartburg being rewarded, was into context of which side of the bracket they fell to by losing to Oneida in the Conference Title Game. Their semi-final was to a team that OS beat 53 to 15. Tough Road to the championship. We could argue balls and strikes forever, but you can't get around the three games that were played against each other were all Bulldog losses. Perhaps the 9-40 from the field might have had something to do with the fact that Oneida's defense is good. In the 16 quarters that Oneida played in the post-season, only 4 times did they allow their opponent 10 or more points in a quarter, that includes the Oliver Springs game. I guess the Lady Indians will have to live with the fact that three wins this year will just have to be chalked up to LUCK, as Big D has been so determined to point out. It would surprise me if OS players thought the Oneida game was easier than the game against Wartburg. Oneida has only been a member of the TMSAA for 2 years and has made the Sectional Semi's both years, I don't recall seeing Wartburg at last years tourney. At any rate, Kaz respects both the OS and Wartburg programs, this years champion and runner-up! My arguement goes towards the format and ways to make it better.

thumb Kaz thumb

I agree Kaz, there does need to be a better format for deciding a lot of things with the TMSAA but that could be said for the NCAA and a lot of other athletic organizations. I mean a team can lose their conference and win the NCAA national championship, but you don't hear the people from that conference whinning about the bracket they got put in...You play the games and leave it on the floor however the chips may fall...As far as OS beating Eagleton 53-15 in their district tourney, Petros beat Oneida and Wartburg beat them both times they played...Lets not leave out the fact that Wartburg had new coaches that had not seen these kids play before around October, they had little time to work on fundementals and kinda had to play through those things...You might be surprised about what the OS coach had to say about the dawgs after the game. FACE IT the LADY DAWGS are the #2 team in EAST TENNESSEE! No rewards, no excuses! Congrats to the Lady Bobcats of OS for being #1.

Yeah Kaz,

Play the games in front of you. Both Oneida and Wartburg had their shot at O.S. and both lost. This format found the best two teams as Champions Holston and O.S. I think it works. I also don't think that Oneida had a ton to do with Wartburg's 9-40 was alot to do with the Wartburg team missing uncontested lay-ups. No, the dogs weren't there last year. However, I bet they would have been if they had the coaching staff from this year.

I think Wartburg returns several good 7th graders. They played against Gatlinburg PBP and looked a little nervous but, pretty athletic. The also played very well against Midway.

Not sure about Oneida???

Fairview keeps 2 starters I think........both were pretty solid.

Huntsville........lost most of their rotation.

It should be a fun off-season for coaches that like to teach the game.

Lord knows they'll get a good chance to. It should be fun!

Just exactly where were these bears?  In hibernation??????

Holston would have beat them like they did the other three teams.  Maybe next year for the Bears, that's what Chicago always says.

825575816[/snapback]

03' 04 not this year the bears lost there best coach and lost there three best players 23 kody silcox 20 joe brooks 10 jake buttram.

BigD, looks like everybody is going to go hunting for players, as almost everyone loses some key components to their team. Oneida will take the biggest hit as far as players moving up(5 starters, 6 off the bench) to high school. Their JV Team took some lumps early, but got better and better as the year went on. Wartburg loses Armes, Bunch, Freels, and #23 I think, but CourtK says they have a talented group of 7th graders. Fairview will lose Yust and Owens and maybe one other, but they played a 6th grader in their starting line-up so they have something to build around. Huntsville lost Lowe, Phillips, and Murley which accounts for almost all of their offense, but they had a lot of bodies on the team so I'm sure they will find a hidden gem somewhere.

CourtK, I doubt seriously the Lady Bulldogs missed 31 uncontested lay-ups(9-40) in any game.(lol) You aren't very respectful to a team that gave Wartburg 3 of their 6 losses. And I do agree that the format rewarded the best team this year, who no one disagrees is Oliver Springs. Going back to the semi's, if OS had lost I contend they would have the same arguement as me.

thumb Kaz thumb

Kaz,

I didn't mean that all the shots were uncontested lay-ups just about 6 or 8 of them.

I don't think the Wartburg JV team lost any games this year beat Oneida 2 times, Fairview 1 time and tied with O.S. So the 7th graders on that team were pretty good.

Oneida will have some trouble but I think they will rise to the top 2 in the Dist again.

I guess the wildcards will be Fairview, Huntsville, and Coalfield.

I respect Oneida but contend that if O.S. had lost to Oneida that they wouldn't have been the best team anymore. Oneida would have been top dog. That is the way of Tourney Basketball!

Edited by courtking

I know you didn't mean that Wartburg missed that many uncontested lay-ups, I was just trying to add a little dry humor. In the games ebb and flow I'm sure the Lady Indians missed their fair share of lay-ups, too. The highest point total the Indian Defense gave up all year was 33 in the semi's against Oliver Springs, a team that averages about 46 points a game. The Lady Indians for the year, including the playoffs, allowed about 21 points per game(in my opinion, that is outstanding). I mean, thats about 5 points a quarter for the whole year and as BigD stated, and I agree, Area 2 was the strongest overall district in East Tennessee.

thumb Kaz thumb

Kaz,

I believe that Huntsville only loses Lowe and Murley. Whitney Phillips is only a 7th Grader and will probably be the best returning starter in Scott County.

Who has the better returning players in the Boys?

I know Oneida loses their top 6 players and Fairview and Robbins was also loaded with 8th Graders.