Some poor, poor officiating in some D-2 finals

mr. tennessee

Reffing is hard, extremely hard. I could not ref I get caught up in the action to much. But when I coached I know a good call from a bad call. I believe in one of the matchs in qt. D-2 HWT. The Baylor kid who lost took maybe 8 to 12 shoots in regulation. The McCallie kid had his back to the out of bounds on every shoot. Could be a pattern formimg. Make him wrestle. Its like disiplining children, if all are consistant then wrestlers and coachs may change. A 215lber at the state was warned after riding his opponents hips {laying straddle on top of him} after about 35 seconds. Then the wrestler went back to the same position for the rest of the period, nothing else was said.

In the 3rd he chose top with a two point lead and did the same thing and the bottom man was warned, the top man was given a point. The ref told the top man to work to the side but never gave a point so he stayed right there straddle on top of the guys but never working to the side. Quick the warn, but now follow up, this is what is wrong. If the refs would make hime get off then there might be some better wrestling at the upper weight classes.

Example did everyone see the semi-final of the new 215 state champ. He looked like the aggressive attacker that I had heard about in the finals. In the semi he shoukd have lost on stalling calls he backed from the DC wrestler continously. In the finals he was a house of fire. In the semi alot of smoke. DC must have took 10 shoots counting OT Farr. aint shoot yet in that match.

Officals need to enforce this seeing way to much defense and working the edge. In the upper weights if you have a kid that will attack.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This post is part of the reason why it is so hard to get good refs in Tennessee. If I were a young man reading this, I would never want to become a ref. I know plenty of kids who have been encoraged by refs to put on the stripe as a way to stay involved in wrestling.

Maybe one suggestion for the finals would be to get out of state refs to come in. The worst problem with this would be that their styles might be different.

I wish all you guys who fuss about the officials would pay your fee and put on the shirt and whistle.  You're, sick and I will meet you anywhere and talk about this and if you're not satisfied, I will meet you in alley.  Clint Abbott

825575735[/snapback]

I have. And you wouldn't want to mess with me in an alley.

I agree, some refs did a good job, but that is there job. They are supposed to do a good job; they, at the least, owe it to the brave young men who sacrifice so much to step into the arena and fight. And because of this, the refs who did not do a good job ought to be called out, and I am not saying that officiating is not a very difficult job, but alot of people could have done a better and more fair job than the referees that officiated the DII finals. 275 match was terrible. Jake Simmons was the aggressor and better wrestler, while Green fleed the entire match. He did not make one offensive attempt and not many defensive scoring attempts, and most of the ones he did make were fought off by Simmons. In the 152 match, Splitalny, blatantly had two points at the end of that match. Rawn had nothing, and for the Ref. to not send that into overtime is not fair to either wrestler. Let that match go into overtime and see who the true Champion is. These are just two blatant examples, but throughout the entire finals terrible stalling, out-of-bounds, and stalemate judgements were made. In the state finals, the refs ought to be forcing the competitors wrestle and letting them wrestle. There is a fine line between these two that an official in the state finals should have mastered. If not than they should not be there. People defending mistakes made by officials is stupid becasue they owe it to the kids to be flawless. I agree that it is bad form to blame referees on losses, but I did not compete in the state finals, so I don't have to be a good sport. The officiating was poor and cost a few deserving kids their dreams.

I have nothing but respect for officials and what they do. My point was not so much that this match or that match was decided by a bad call. I did not have a kid wrestling, so it's not sour grapes. Bad calls, as well as bad decisions by wrestlers and coaches happen and is part of it. It was the consistancy of the bad calls on the DII side. Kids in the state finals deserve better.

I agree, some refs did a good job, but that is there job.  They are supposed to do a good job; they, at the least, owe it to the brave young men who sacrifice so much to step into the arena and fight.  And because of this, the refs who did not do a good job ought to be called out, and I am not saying that officiating is not a very difficult job, but alot of people could have done a better and more fair job than the referees that officiated the DII finals.  275 match was terrible.  Jake Simmons was the aggressor and better wrestler, while Green fleed the entire match.  He did not make one offensive attempt and not many defensive scoring attempts, and most of the ones he did make were fought off by Simmons.  In the 152 match, Splitalny, blatantly had two points at the end of that match.  Rawn had nothing, and for the Ref. to not send that into overtime is not fair to either wrestler.  Let that match go into overtime and see who the true Champion is.  These are just two blatant examples, but throughout the entire finals terrible stalling, out-of-bounds, and stalemate judgements were made.  In the state finals, the refs ought to be forcing the competitors wrestle and letting them wrestle.  There is a fine line between these two that an official in the state finals should have mastered.  If not than they should not be there.  People defending mistakes made by officials is stupid  becasue they owe it to the kids to be flawless.  I agree that it is bad form to blame referees on losses, but I did not compete in the state finals, so I don't have to be a good sport.  The officiating was poor and cost a few deserving kids their dreams.

825576452[/snapback]

I remember Josh Keller wrestling a brilliant State Finals finals match...until he got turned and pinned! Did anyone tell him he didn't belong there? NO Point being everyone makes mistakes. I had no dog in the hunt, but I didn't think it was that bad. Were there questionable calls made? Yes there were. Did I agree with every call, no I didn't. But in the past thirty years I haven't agreed with every call at the State Tournament. These things happen. I believe most of these ref's are there, because they want to do their best and love the sport. Unless you want to do something about it, you don't have to like it, but you have to live with it!

speaking of non calls, the refs in the d2 60 final were using their shirts like starter flags at a nascar race..........the whistle blew and the race began.... :lol:

the ryan kid backed up so much, osha considered coming in and attaching a beeper to his booty for safety reasons.... :D

825576972[/snapback]

Brace yourself, Jim. The purple tsunami is headed your way.

I agree, some refs did a good job, but that is there job.  They are supposed to do a good job; they, at the least, owe it to the brave young men who sacrifice so much to step into the arena and fight.  And because of this, the refs who did not do a good job ought to be called out, and I am not saying that officiating is not a very difficult job, but alot of people could have done a better and more fair job than the referees that officiated the DII finals.  275 match was terrible.  Jake Simmons was the aggressor and better wrestler, while Green fleed the entire match.  He did not make one offensive attempt and not many defensive scoring attempts, and most of the ones he did make were fought off by Simmons.  In the 152 match, Splitalny, blatantly had two points at the end of that match.  Rawn had nothing, and for the Ref. to not send that into overtime is not fair to either wrestler.  Let that match go into overtime and see who the true Champion is.  These are just two blatant examples, but throughout the entire finals terrible stalling, out-of-bounds, and stalemate judgements were made.  In the state finals, the refs ought to be forcing the competitors wrestle and letting them wrestle.  There is a fine line between these two that an official in the state finals should have mastered.  If not than they should not be there.  People defending mistakes made by officials is stupid  becasue they owe it to the kids to be flawless.  I agree that it is bad form to blame referees on losses, but I did not compete in the state finals, so I don't have to be a good sport.  The officiating was poor and cost a few deserving kids their dreams.

825576452[/snapback]

And are you putting on the stripes next season to "fix the problem" or are you going to just do what everybody else does and whine about it.

Yeah, and while we're at it......

Another ref was actually walking while he started them. Isnt that against the rules?

I was watching one ref count near fall, did you see his finger nails? My god, he must have just come out from under a car. There really should be a hygeine requirement.

Another ref had his shoe laces untied. Arent they supposed to be covered?

Sighh...poor poor poor.....

reftn