Elizabethton vs Sullivan Central

coaches_corner

Cyclones beat Volunteer 59-38 while Cougars beat Unicoi County 44-36 tonight to advance to the District One final thursday night at Unicoi. The cyclones jumped on the falcons early sprinting to a 11-1 lead and Volunteer never really challenged for the lead after that although they played hard and kept the lead at ten at the half, 28-18. The cyclones came out strong in the third and pushed the lead to twenty and it was pretty much over.

In the nightcap, Unicoi started slow and never really recovered. They did not shoot the ball well at all and Central just seemed to want the game more.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I am surprised the Blue Devils went down on their home court. Congrats to the Cougars. I hope the Cyclones are ready for them on Thur. and don't have a let down because they aren't playing Unicoi. I do think they will be focused - it is for the District Tourny Championship Trophy after all.

Go Cyclones!!

Mrs B, are you home yet? Had heard a rumor that you were. Would love to hear an update on Katrina.

Big, vocal cyclone crowd tonight in Erwin. Central will play us tough no doubt but I expect us to be ready. Big game tonight from Rikki, as usual. She was all over the court. Val was a terror on defense. Michaela and Cameron had good offensive games. Victoria played well on both ends. We did have 20+ turnovers however. More substitutions than usual. Towle was absent with the flu.

Regional will begin monday I am told, but some teams will not play until tuesday. I think the top seeds will definitely play monday and get tuesday off if they win. Tournament is monday through thursday.

Edited by coaches_corner

We are home! We came home last Tue. Katrina flew in a jet for the second time as she was transferred straight to the med center. She is not ready to be discharged but we wanted to get the family closer to home.

Katrina ended up with a staph infection in her lungs and they have had to turn up the ventilator again over the weekend - but she is doing better this morning and we are weaning again. Hopefully we will get over the infection quickly and nothing else will pop up. Then we can finally wean the ventilator away for good and bring her to the house.

I might try to make it to a regional game. I'm waiting for the right match-up ;) Keep playing hard Cyclones! I'd love to come see a champion crowned!! One game at a time though - stay focused!

Granted I have only seen her play twice, but how S. Caldwell for Volunteer was held to under 10 points in a game is quite an accomplishment.

Is anyone looking at her to play in college or have I just seen a couple of her better games?

Good Luck in the Finals!!

825581391[/snapback]

Betsy played great defense for one and she was playing with the flu second. Great team effort by the cyclones. I don't think had she scored 20 Vol would have won. Game could have closer but that is all.

Congratulations to the Lady Cyclones; and much more importantly, continued improvement for Miss Katrina. thumb

The biggest surprise of this season: To date, Unicoi County has shot the ball poorly from outside - 4 of 22 on threes; and even more sadly, from the free-throw line - 8 of 24 against Central. And that's been the norm. Yes, they're still a dangerous team, but even with a good effort against either South Greene of Pigeon Forge next week, Unicoi could sit and watch after one game. Not the preferred way to "host" a tournament.

If there's a positive for Unicoi, the guards became much more assertive in the latter stages against Central; but still the shots were off the mark. And when they were fouled while shooting, they were awful at the line. Hard to figure.

Hope to meet you next week, Mrs.B.