Mr. Basketball Nominations Single A

LoveIt

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Webb being left off probably was a mistake- however you knew that doaks and webb were going to split and take alot of votes from eachother- it honestly looks as though the west middle and east all got representation- doaks won the west as the best player-

Bailey- not a mistake I think- one of the best single a players in the state, yes- not the top three-

I personally think that this award will go to skogen-

like gomab said- Mcewen has a very week schedule- 102 I believe- they only have two losses but both are either in region or district- help me on that- Puckett is a great player- not THE best i the state-

Doaks has gotten himself into some trouble of late- great player yes- although a bunch of losses doesn't help his cause- and like people have said dunks and rebounds don't add up to W's

Skogen is the best player on the best team- has lost 28-1 record undefeated in region and district play- mvp of district and region- I think this kid will get it...

825585439[/snapback]

I agree with this post- caleb is the man for this award..

Simple: Skogen

It's not a matter of who's the "best". You'll never really know that. Odds are there's some outstanding kid somewhere in a small town with 4 other kids who couldn't score with a pencil. And you'll never hear about him.

Anyway, if left up to the vote, Skogen. West Tennessee split their votes between Webb and Doaks. Maybe Shane had some impact, too. In the East, though, Skogen has it wrapped up. He has the name recognition, and he'll pull the votes.

In a sense, it's a "popularity" contest, and Skogen has the upperhand. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but that's just the way I see it.

As for the Webb/Doaks contest, it's hard to tell. The times I've seen them, Webb is more of an offensive threat. The guy can score from about anywhere. I think Doaks plays better defense, and I think he has a better eye to dish from, but that may be due more to having a broader array of weapons to dish to more than ability.

In the end, it doesn't matter. All of them will probably make their own future in college. This award won't mean a point or a grade point to any of them.

In a sense I agree with Blacksunshine I think skogen will win- however I think he more SHOULD win than blacksunshine does- I think the things he mentioned will help- but I think this kid deserves it- so start by taking care of business friday night- congrats man

825585506[/snapback]

Let me start off by saying that all of these candidates are very worthy of the nominations. I have seen Caleb play and puckett. I haven't seen doaks play this year or ever for that matter. I know everyone thinks that Caleb is a shoe in for the award however i have to believe that Puckett is not to far behind. He had a few 12 point games that brought his average down, but he is still getting 21 a game with 13 boards, 4.4 blocks per game, 2 steals and three assists per game. He is definitely a solid player. Temple will probably win the state this year. That is a real possibilty. The program that coach has built the past couple of years is amazing. I loved watching them play this year. McEwen probably will not win the state, but it will definitely not be because Puckett isn't the real deal. He has taken that team which has an o.k. supporting cast when they play to a 24-2 season so far. This to me is really impressive. I think the award will still go to the player who takes their team farther in state. I think all of the candidates are worthy good luck to all. Especiall Puckett, congrats man this is a great honor and I wish you well. Give it to East Robertson tomorrow night in the championship. Go McEwen

Webb being left off probably was a mistake- however you knew that doaks and webb were going to split and take alot of votes from eachother- it honestly looks as though the west middle and east all got representation- doaks won the west as the best player-

Bailey- not a mistake I think- one of the best single a players in the state, yes- not the top three-

I personally think that this award will go to skogen-

like gomab said- Mcewen has a very week schedule- 102 I believe- they only have two losses but both are either in region or district- help me on that- Puckett is a great player- not THE best i the state-

Doaks has gotten himself into some trouble of late- great player yes- although a bunch of losses doesn't help his cause- and like people have said dunks and rebounds don't add up to W's

Skogen is the best player on the best team- has lost 28-1 record undefeated in region and district play- mvp of district and region- I think this kid will get it...

825585439[/snapback]

Great player? Doaks? Doaks didn't even get MVP of his district. Doaks is a good player, dunks alot of balls and gets his share of rebounds...but a Mr. Basketball finalists? The trouble that he got himself into should not even calculate, it should be based upon his play and what he means to his team. My vote goes to Skogen now. I thought that Webb and Shane did more for their team in this area and were more deserving. I'm not bashing Doaks, I'd take him on my team, but he isn't the best player from the West. :)

Let me start off by saying that all of these candidates are very worthy of the nominations.  I have seen Caleb play and puckett.  I haven't seen doaks play this year or ever for that matter.  I know everyone thinks that Caleb is a shoe in for the award however i have to believe that Puckett is not to far behind.  He had a few 12 point games that brought his average down, but he is still getting 21 a game with 13 boards, 4.4 blocks per game, 2 steals and three assists per game.  He is definitely a solid player.  Temple will probably win the state this year.  That is a real possibilty.  The program that coach has built the past couple of years is amazing.  I loved watching them play this year.  McEwen probably will not win the state, but it will definitely not be because Puckett isn't the real deal.  He has taken that team which has an o.k. supporting cast when they play to a 24-2 season so far.  This to me is really impressive.  I think the award will still go to the player who takes their team farther in state.  I think all of the candidates are worthy good luck to all.  Especiall Puckett, congrats man this is a great honor and I wish you well.  Give it to East Robertson tomorrow night in the championship.  Go McEwen

825585534[/snapback]

couldn't help but notice your name maizeandblue..are you a michigan fan as well?

TSSAA has already called the schools of the 3 finalists and the info on here is correct. No matter how you cut it there were going to be some good players left off and single A has some very good players. This is the most talent class of single A since Trey Pearsons senior year.

congrats to all three of the finalists, doaks, puckett, and skogen are all superb players, its a shame some years are down and some years are really up for 1a players. any year to be nominated for mr basketball is a great honor, but this year it is really something else, the caliber of elite players for 1a this year is excellent. i was doubting that they would put daniel as one of the finalist, because of the weak schedule and the other great players this year, its nice to see he make the finalist list, hopefully he can win mr basketball, i've known daniel for a long time and he deserves everything that he gets. good luck with districts and regionals mcewen, hopefully you can make it to state. DONT OVER LOOK ANYONE

daniel puckett for mr. basketball 2005

good luck warriors with the rest of the season

i was also wondering what is the date set for this event in memphis. i don't know when it is but, i would think i would have to be after state wouldn't it. i haven't keep up with mr. basketball in the past. wouldn't post season games affect the outcome of mr basketball or have the totals already been calculated when deciding on who to pick for the finalists.

Edited by mtownballer