Rockwood over Midway by one?

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say we (Rockwood) did not play our best game Tuesday night. Credit alot of that to Midway who took us out of our game plan. They probably played the best game of the year other than the Cosby win in the regular season. They deserved to win last night but the team that deserves to win doesn't always win. I think having a close game will get us more prepared for Cosby. I would love to see a Rockwood/Wartburg final.

Just to confirm goosevol, he summed up the last 1.5 of overtime correctly. It wasn't the refs fault. I thought it was a great game. Midway trailed through most of the game and when they came back, it surprised everyone. I want to congratulate the GreenWave on a terrific season. You all seem to be a good bunch of kids and I wish you all the luck, except when you are playing Cosby, of course. Thanks for cheering for us in the District Championships, and I hope you'll come out to support District 3 teams Thursday.

I do have some pictures of the game. Not all of them are posted.

I wasn't at the game but I would agree that's a lot of action for a second and a half. You have to figure at least

.7 for one dribble (another .7 if there was a second)

1.5 for a 15-20 feet pass.

1.0 at least to catch, bobble, turn and shoot.

for a grand total of

3.9 by my count but like I said I wasn't there.

I'm looking forward to Cosby/ Rockwood. Things like this have happened before and everyone knows will probably happen again.

all from midway will say it took longer than 1.5 seconds, all from rockwood will say it took 1.5 seconds... fact is when the clock struck 0:00 rockwood was up by one...but i will say, if either team hits free throws, the game never goes to overtime..good luck to rockwood against cosby....i will see yall tomorrow night at the game.......1CORINTHIANS 10:31

I never saw the pump fake, but I had my camera on Corey Payne expecting him to come off a double screen at the top of the key. Midway also thought that and took away that option. Maybe one day I'll watch the film with a stop watch and see exactly how long it took.

Either way, it's a tough way to end your career. My final game ended with Unaka throwing a length of the floor pass and hitting a fade away 17-footer at the buzzer in the region semis. Unaka then went to Murefreesboro.

I can still close my eyes and see it like it was yesterday and I guarntee you Midway will see this play forever. At least in my game, there was no doubt that we lost.

Oh well, good luck to the Tigers. Hopefully, that one play will be like the Arkansas fumble was for UT in 1998 or like the year Colorado got the fifth down against Missouri and went on to win the national title. Maybe the Tigers are destined for greatness this year and this play is just part of that destiny.

I was at the game also and some of the "facts" as reported on here arent exactly right. For example, it wasnt a 20 ft pass, there was no pump fake, and when Harvest caught the ball he caught and shot it in one motion. Given all that, I still think the time would have taken longer than 1.5 seconds. However, goose is right, there is some built in delays in the ref signaling and the clock operator pushing the button and the clock acutally starting, so anybody with half a brain knows that there would be more than 1.5 seconds of playing time! And there are a couple other factors that people might not be aware of, although one was alluded to earlier. First of all, there has been a problem with the people running the clock throughout the tourney. In fact, as mentioned already, at Greenback during the District 3A tourney there were issues about the running of the clock. And I know for sure that the Rockwood girls in both their games were on the bad end of some questionable clock starting or not starting on time issues. Against host team Greenback, the number one seed from district 3A, rockwood was leading with only about 2 or 3 seconds to go and greenback went the length of the court, took a shot, and the horn sounded AFTER the ball came off the rim! Then against Coalfield, the clock ran during a stoppage of play and the officials had to put 20 seconds back on the clock! I heard others say that there had been clock problems in some of the other games also.

Another issue that midway fans need to consider is that rockwood had a chance to put the game on ice with 5 seconds to go and leading by two when payne missed TWO free throws! If either one went in, there would be no overtime and no controversy! Also I think coaker missed a free throw before that also. So in my opinion, the team that should have won, did win in the end.

Sportznut, I agree with you concerning the free throws. But as i stated earlier, Midway missed more than enough to put the game away in the last quarter. Just goes to show you that every missed FT could come back and bite you in the end. Whether it was in the 1st qtr or the last second of the game. Congrats to the Tigers, you have a fine team.