Giles Co. 60, Waverly 49

PageMan

Giles Co.....20..14...8..18.....60

Waverly.....16..11..13...9.....49

Giles Co. 60 - Channing Coffey 17, Tyler Smith 15, Tryce Nelson 11, Zach Holt 10, Darin Holt 5, Deron Garrett 2

Waverly 49 - Ricco Ralston 18, D.J. Reid 11, Curtis Reed 9, Ryan Hollis 6, Jonathan Leonard 5

Three Point Goals:

Giles Co. 7 - Nelson 3, Z. Holt 2, Coffey, D. Holt

Waverly 6 - Reid 3, Ralston 2, Leonard

Team Free Throws: Giles Co. 7 of 13 (53.8%), Waverly 5 of 7 (71.4%)

Team Fouls: Giles Co. 12, Waverly 16

Team Turnovers: Giles Co. 11, Waverly 9

Rebounds:

Giles Co. 28 - Smith 8, Z. Holt 6, Coffey 5, Nelson 3, D. Holt 3, Garrett 3

Waverly 24 - Hollis 9, Ralston 5, Reed 4, Reid 3, Leonard 2, Trey Reeder 1

Assists:

Giles Co. 16 - Smith 6, Coffey 4, Garrett 4, Z. Holt 1, Nelson 1

Waverly 7 - Ralston 4, Leonard 2, Reed 1

Giles Co. led after the 1st qtr., 20-16, as Smith had 9 with 1 of 1 FT's, Coffey had 7 with a three, and Z. Holt had 4 with a three and 1 of 2 FT's while Waverly's Reid had 8 with 2 threes, Ralston hit a three, Hollis had 3 with 1 of 2 FT's, and Reed had 2. In the 2nd qtr., GC outscored Waverly, 14-11, as Nelson had 5 with a three, Coffey had 5 with 1 of 3 FT's, and both Z. Holt and Garrett each had 2 while Waverly's Ralston had 7 with a three and Reed had 4 as GC led at the half, 34-27. In the 3rd qtr., Waverly outscored GC, 13-8, as Ralston had 4, Reid hit a three, Reed had 3 with 1 of 1 FT's, Leonard had 2, and Hollis hit 1 of 2 FT's while GC's Z. Holt and D. Holt both hit a three and Coffey had 2 as GC led after 3 qtrs., 42-40. In the 4th qtr., GC outscored Waverly, 18-9, as Nelson hit 2 threes, Smith had 6 with 0 of 1 FT's, Coffey had 3 with 1 of 2 FT's, D. Holt hit 2 of 2 FT's and Z. Holt hit 1 of 2 FT's while Waverly's Ralston had 4 with 2 of 2 FT's, Leonard hit a three, and Hollis had 2 as Giles Co. won 60-49.

I think this game showed that Giles Co. is not all about Tyler Smith. They have a balanced attack where in this game they had 4 players in double figures. Tyler Smith also led the team with 6 assists which proves he is not a selfish player. Waverly's Ricco Ralston led all scorers with 18 pts. and also had 4 assists.

Giles Co. will host the sectional on Monday at 7:00 where they will play Humboldt while Waverly will travel to Bolivar.

All-Region Team:

Harpeth - Robert Derrick and Scott Erland

Lewis Co. - Michael Creasy and Darren James

Waverly - Ricco Ralston, Ryan Hollis, and D. J. Reid

Giles Co. - Tyler Smith, Zach Holt, and MVP Channing Coffey

Congratulations to Giles Co. and all the players who made the All-Region Team

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed after the girls game to watch these two teams play. Some very exciting playground type plays for sure. Smith and Coffey are both very exciting although I was a little disappointed in Smith. Don't get me wrong, he is very good. But not the shooter I thought he would be. The Ralston kid for Waverly showed he is very good. Where is he and the Coffey kid going to college? As for the game, Giles is clearly the better team and would probably beat Waverly 10 out of 10 times in my opinion. Giles seemed to play in spurts and only when they needed to while Waverly relied strictly on Ralston to do everything. I think Holt's coaching was a key tonight as everytime Giles came out of a timeout they ran a set play for an easy basket. Waverly's coaching staff seemed to be satisfied to sit on the bench and just watch as their players did whatever they wanted. I think some of Waverly's players were a little nervous. Best of luck to them Monday againt Bolivar. From what I hear Bolivar must be pretty good.

825600913[/snapback]

Waverly coaching staff got a BS tech early and had to sit down....and Holt is no great coach....anyone could run the Kentucky Derby with stud horses!!

As always....I'M OUT

William H. Bonnie

KING REX

Because of a tech, he wasn't able to talk to his team during time-outs? That must be some kind of new rule.

Phil, you saw Tyler play one game! Watch him, and his forklift bring UT out of the NCAA boiler room next year, and we'll see whether or not he can shoot! Of course with C-Loft back next year, he'll be able to slash and do what he likes to do best!

Forget individual effort, Giles was able to get the win because the role players stepped up!

I guess we'll see you guys in... oh... I mean, at home!

LEBRON WHO?

Waverly played a pretty good game, but Giles really didnt play all that great. Dont get me wrong Waverly is a good team but dont get too excited just because you didnt get trashed. Giles never underestimated Waverly at all, all week everyone was talking about how good of a team Waverly had. It was a good game and good luck to Waverly against Bolivar.

Waverly played a pretty good game, but Giles really didnt play all that great. Dont get me wrong Waverly is a good team but dont get too excited just because you didnt get trashed. Giles never underestimated Waverly at all, all week everyone was talking about how good of a team Waverly had. It was a good game and good luck to Waverly against Bolivar.