Will Tyler Smith go to UT now?

Gerry Bertier

There's no need to bicker about what Bob Knight will or will not do.  He will not come to UT.  What is at UT to attract Bob Knight?  Money?  He is not motivated by money.  Program success?  UT has next to none.  Why would he leave a team which he perenially takes to the NCAA tournament to coach, at best, a grab bag of a team that has absolutely no chance of making it to the tournament next year.  I would like to, later, say that I was wrong but I don't believe I will be.  UT will most likely go down the same road that they went down with Peterson: hire a very successful mid-major coach, pay him a median salary, and hope for a turnaround.

825623002[/snapback]

Word is that he likes UT because of the fact he likes to fish and hunt....also he likes the fact that UT is a big Adidas school, like TTU. He is very big on Adidas and one last reason is that he is good friends with Don DeVoe who is a former coach at UT.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what excatly has memphis done in the NCAA tournament?  Not much of anything

825623856[/snapback]

You obvioulsy don't know anything about memphis' history they have made the final four before yeah sure it's been a while but they have done it.They have'nt been to the sweet sixteen since 1995 because their program had went down since they got rid of Larry Finch but they have a lot more tradition than most teams and they used to do what they did with mostly Memphis city player contributing to their success.They also had the best player to ever come out of the state in Penny Hardaway

You obvioulsy don't know anything about memphis' history they have made the final four before yeah sure it's been a while but they have done it.They have'nt been to the sweet sixteen since 1995 because their program had went down since they got rid of Larry Finch but they have a lot more tradition than most teams and they used to do what they did with mostly Memphis city player contributing to their success.They also had the best player to ever come out of the state in Penny Hardaway

825624309[/snapback]

Two Final Fours, in fact -- including a championship game. The program had a short dry spell because of the mistake in hiring Tic Price, but it's back now.

Turning afan's question around, what has any team in this state other than Memphis done in the NCAA Tournament? I know nobody else has made a Final Four.

:) Being the top college basketball program in this state has not been anything to crow about guys. One year it was ETSU. Sorry about the Tiger High reference. I figured you guys were used to it by now. Wonder what's hanging in the AD's office right now, a picture of the UCLA/Memphis State matchup in the Final Four or the goalposts coming down after they beat UT in football for the first time in history?

It's a backhanded compliment at best. If UT could muster any type of success they could pull kids out of Memphis every year that would help their program. That's the type of coach they need to hire. I'll grant you that Memphis produces more DI prospects year in and year out and is a basketball hotbed. For all that talent, Memphis U's success isn't alot better than UT's.

For the record, from the NCAA website:

Top 50, number of wins- #45 Tennessee- 1330

25 years DI minimum

Top 50, winning %- #35 Tennessee State- .613

25 years DI min. #37 Memphis- .610

#45 Tennessee- .606

All time records- Belmont- 795-681-0 .539

Chattanooga- 1051-829-0 .559

ETSU- 999-806-0 .553

Lipscomb- 707-246-0 .742

Memphis- 1210-775-0 .610

MTSU- 934-884-0 .514

TN State- 995-628-0 .613

TN Tech- 902-881-1 .506

Tennessee- 1330-865-2 .606

UT Martin- 595-711-0 .456

Vanderbilt- 1319-956-0 .580

In the SEC, UK, Arkansas and Alabama have more wins and a better winning percentage than UT. UK is #1 in the nation in both categories while the other 3 are pretty close to each other. Granted Tennessee has not done as well in the NCAA tournament since the field was expanded to 64.

I agree that the UAB or Wisconsin-Milwaukee coaches are much more likely candidates than Bob Knight. UWM's has the endorsement of Ernie Grunfeld who is generally consulted and UAB's coach is a Nolan Richardson protege and a great recruiter by all accounts.

For the record, from the NCAA website:

Top 50, number of wins- #45  Tennessee- 1330

25 years DI minimum

Top 50, winning %- #35 Tennessee State- .613

25 years DI min.    #37 Memphis- .610

#45 Tennessee- .606

All time records- Belmont- 795-681-0  .539

Chattanooga- 1051-829-0  .559

ETSU- 999-806-0  .553

Lipscomb- 707-246-0  .742

Memphis- 1210-775-0  .610

MTSU- 934-884-0  .514

TN State- 995-628-0  .613

TN Tech- 902-881-1  .506

Tennessee- 1330-865-2  .606

UT Martin- 595-711-0  .456

Vanderbilt- 1319-956-0  .580

In the SEC, UK, Arkansas and Alabama have more wins and a better winning percentage than UT.  UK is #1 in the nation in both categories while the other 3 are pretty close to each other.  Granted Tennessee has not done as well in the NCAA tournament since the field was expanded to 64.

I agree that the UAB or Wisconsin-Milwaukee coaches are much more likely candidates than Bob Knight.  UWM's has the endorsement of Ernie Grunfeld who is generally consulted and UAB's coach is a Nolan Richardson protege and a great recruiter by all accounts.

825624860[/snapback]

You didn't include Austin Peay who has done very well the last 4 years in the OVC. even had a guy, trenton hassel, who has gone to the NBA and had success. There record in the OVC is really good recently, last year a perfect 16-0.

It's a backhanded compliment at best.  If UT could muster any type of success they could pull kids out of Memphis every year that would help their program.  That's the type of coach they need to hire.  I'll grant you that Memphis produces more DI prospects year in and year out and is a basketball hotbed.  For all that talent, Memphis U's success isn't alot better than UT's.

825624768[/snapback]

And UT has three times the budget Memphis does. For all that money, they have WHAT for basketball?

How much does it cost for a kid to stay right where he is? UT didn't start their program with a bigger budget..........they earned it. I get your point. UT is in the one percent of all college athletic departments who do are self sufficient and don't receive state funding. Now that we've come full circle...........tell me again why Tyler Smith shouldn't attend the University of Tennessee?