Got a high school football rule question?

footballref

Please clarify blocks on kickers after the kickoff. One game this year out of 11, a player immediately went after the kicker on all 5 kickoffs.

“The kicker or place-kick holder of a free kick may not be blocked before:

a. He has advanced 5 yards beyond his free-kick line; or

b. The kick has touched the ground or any other player.â€

Excerpt From: NFHS & Bob Colgate. “2014 NFHS Football Rules Book.†NFHS. iBooks.

This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/mhUz0.l

• 2 months later...

It's not a secret, TSSAA are now "short" or will be "short" of officials/referees. I'm curious, in your opinion, what needs to be done in order to change it and make the younger generation get into refereeing football games/other sports? I'm focusing on football sense we're both football officials.

I know this was asked a few months ago, but this is my opinion:

A. Players, coaches, and fans, as a whole have progressively gotten more rude, critical, outright hostile and even violent through the years. Alot of people just don't want to work a thankless job where where they take constant crtitisism from someone.

B. Alot of referees are guys who once played the sport and want to remain closer to the game. With the amount of kids participating in football becoming less and less, you will naturally have less guys wanting to stay around the game once they are out of school.

C. The cost of living keeps going up and up, and more and more people have to either work two jobs (or more) and are less likely to justify leaving work early and missing out on wages to call a football game (or any sport. Numbers are down across the board.) I also believe employers are less and less willing to let their employees off early to go call ball nowadays too.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hearing Scrimmages (like Oakland-Ravenwood) going on with no officials. Is the officials shortage real?

In my area, yes the officials shortage is real. Since I began we have have 1/3 less officials now than we did when I started. We are also working a lot of 7 man crews now.

For us, we have plenty to cover scrimmages. I haven't heard of scrimmages intentionally going without officials due to shortage.

People don't want to get into it. We have a handful of new ones each year but only a few of those make it to the next season. I don't think some want to learn and go through the progressions starting with youth football, I don't think some have the time for the commitment, and I don't think some can't take the yelling they receive regardless of level.

• 2 weeks later...

What communication devices are NOT allowed for coaches to use during football games. I have been trying to search for this rule but I can not find it. Thanks!

Here is some info:

SECTION 6 COACHES FIELD EQUIPMENT

ART. 1 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local Area Network (LAN) phones and/ or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph( s), film , analog or digital video( s) and/ or Internet depictions, shall not be used to communicate with a player except during an outside 9-yard mark conference (7-yard marks in nine-, eight- and six-player competition).

NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of a drum by a team composed of deaf or partially deaf players, in order to establish a rhythmic cadence following the ready-for-play signal.

ART. 2 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local Area Network (LAN) phones and/ or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph( s), film , analog or digital video( s) and/ or Internet depictions may be used by coaches and nonplayers.

Here is some info:

ART. 1 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local Area Network (LAN) phones and/ or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph( s), film , analog or digital video( s) and/ or Internet depictions, shall not be used to communicate with a player except during an outside 9-yard mark conference (7-yard marks in nine-, eight- and six-player competition).

NOTE: Each state association may authorize the use of a drum by a team composed of deaf or partially deaf players, in order to establish a rhythmic cadence following the ready-for-play signal.

ART. 2 . . . Communication devices including but not limited to audio recorder, Local Area Network (LAN) phones and/ or headsets, mobile phones, still photograph( s), film , analog or digital video( s) and/ or Internet depictions may be used by coaches and nonplayers.

Thank you!

Here is some info:

Those are straight from the rule book. As long as their not being used in the middle of the field during a timeout there isn't much not allowed on the sidelines.