Coaching Openings

Concering the Lenior City job. From covering sports around the area i'm familiar with their MS coach! He always seems to have discipline and brings a very exciting brand of ball. I know regardless of the talent level, his teams are always contending for the district title! LC can be a hotspot for athletics! Good luck to them in their search!

Palcerious is the guy I was thinking of. He will be on the list for LC. Powell is interesting. Knox Co has to hire a teacher first. Lol. What did Ogan teach. Two former Powell guys have been highly successful head coaches. Guy at Fulton although girls coach now. Has been very successful just coming off a state runner up. Mercer who was at Central now at Grace. Central by the way hasn't been good since he left for Grace. Been to state tournament and sub state since coming off probation at grace. Think Higgins needs to establish something at central before he becomes a commodity.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palcerious is the guy I was thinking of. He will be on the list for LC. Powell is interesting. Knox Co has to hire a teacher first. Lol. What did Ogan teach. Two former Powell guys have been highly successful head coaches. Guy at Fulton although girls coach now. Has been very successful just coming off a state runner up. Mercer who was at Central now at Grace. Central by the way hasn't been good since he left for Grace. Been to state tournament and sub state since coming off probation at grace. Think Higgins needs to establish something at central before he becomes a commodity.

Coach Placeres has no interest in the LC job. I could see Higgins being interested in the Powell job. He lives in Powell. I think he has done enough to become a commodity. He has a great resume. Played at UT and professionally, served as an assistant at Fulton under Jody Wright, improved Central with a very limited roster. The Fulton girls coach improved tremendously with the return of Jada Johnson, KeKe McKinney and crew. LOL

Saw several games at Central this past year. Talent is down but to say program is better is a stretch. Playing for UT and professionally is not a coaching resume and doesn't make him a coaching commodity. Not saying he won't develop. Just saying the two Powell grads are more proven. Think Fulton was a sub state team prior to Johnson return and she is at TSU now. Isn't palecerious an assistant at Maryville College. Didn't he make a run for the AE job last year. Just saying.

I don't know who is going to get the Powell job, but I know who shouldn't. Higgins. First, I don't care where he played. Pete rose was the best hitter in baseball but couldn't coach a lick. Magic Johnson was the best point guard ever, but couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag! Higgins starts games off with a good scheme but has major trouble making in game and halftime adjustments. To me, he needs to stay there and become a better coach and wait for the talent cycle to come back around like it always does. I saw him lose several games that he clearly had superior talent but was out coached, plain and simple. Powell is a top 4 team year in year out in one of the toughest districts in the state. Imagine if he got the job, had to follow Ogans record, finished 6 th or 7 th a couple years? They'd fire him in a minute there. Just stay where ur at and get better

I don't know who is going to get the Powell job, but I know who shouldn't. Higgins. First, I don't care where he played. Pete rose was the best hitter in baseball but couldn't coach a lick. Magic Johnson was the best point guard ever, but couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag! Higgins starts games off with a good scheme but has major trouble making in game and halftime adjustments. To me, he needs to stay there and become a better coach and wait for the talent cycle to come back around like it always does. I saw him lose several games that he clearly had superior talent but was out coached, plain and simple. Powell is a top 4 team year in year out in one of the toughest districts in the state. Imagine if he got the job, had to follow Ogans record, finished 6 th or 7 th a couple years? They'd fire him in a minute there. Just stay where ur at and get better

I feel Matt Mercer or (if Powell wanted to go outside the Panther family) Shane Wells from CAK would be excellent choices. Edited by QSouth89

Saw several games at Central this past year. Talent is down but to say program is better is a stretch. Playing for UT and professionally is not a coaching resume and doesn't make him a coaching commodity. Not saying he won't develop. Just saying the two Powell grads are more proven. Think Fulton was a sub state team prior to Johnson return and she is at TSU now. Isn't palecerious an assistant at Maryville College. Didn't he make a run for the AE job last year. Just saying.

R&B- Coach Placeres is an assistant at Maryville College. He works for the Sevier County school system as his full-time job. He has looked at a couple of jobs but I'm pretty sure the AE job wasn't one of them. He said he would consider the LC job but there needed to be a lake house and $75K involved. Hard to really judge Higgins success because of the lack of talent.

CC- You make some great points but keep in mind Higgins is early in his coaching career. He knows and understands the game. The reason I mentioned playing is that he has been exposed to the game by multiple college and professional coaches in addition to helping Jody Wright. I agree being a good player doesn't always translate into being a good coach.

Q- Couldn't imagine Shane Wells leaving for Powell with his young talent....except to avoid Catholic's young talent. LOL!

R&B- Coach Placeres is an assistant at Maryville College. He works for the Sevier County school system as his full-time job. He has looked at a couple of jobs but I'm pretty sure the AE job wasn't one of them. He said he would consider the LC job but there needed to be a lake house and $75K involved. Hard to really judge Higgins success because of the lack of talent.

CC- You make some great points but keep in mind Higgins is early in his coaching career. He knows and understands the game. The reason I mentioned playing is that he has been exposed to the game by multiple college and professional coaches in addition to helping Jody Wright. I agree being a good player doesn't always translate into being a good coach.

Q- Couldn't imagine Shane Wells leaving for Powell with his young talent....except to avoid Catholic's young talent. LOL!

Who had more talent Halls or Central? Clinton or Central. Campbell Co or Central. IMO easy to evaluate Higgins. Needs seasoning and prove he is a capable head coach.

Campbell County had more talent than everyone in the league outside of Oak Ridge and Karns. CC and Central were preseason picks by most on here at the 3 and 4 spots. They were both picked in front of Powell, Halls, and Clinton. They both underachieved by finishing tied for 6th with AC. Wrong thread for this discussion. Higgins is not going to be Powell.

Campbell County had more talent than everyone in the league outside of Oak Ridge and Karns. CC and Central were preseason picks by most on here at the 3 and 4 spots. They were both picked in front of Powell, Halls, and Clinton. They both underachieved by finishing tied for 6th with AC. Wrong thread for this discussion. Higgins is not going to be Powell.[/quote

Last I'll say about this. But with all due respect Guru, we all picked CC and central before we saw their teams. We were wrong. CC had nothing but the Gillenwater kid. Period. Torres played football and had broke foot early in season, never played well till end of year. I've seen a lot of bball and never saw a team miss fts like CC did. Now central? They had some talent. Good thing for both is they have a lot coming back, both have 4 starters returning. As for the picks? I'll admit I was wrong, but heck Nebraska was picked last in big ten by everyone, and their the 5 seed in tourney today so we all miss a few. Lol

Nice post man! You have a good point, looking back it does seem Central has under achieved since he left. He's got a program going over there at Grace.