Update 10/14 6A & 5A 2017 Regions

mjuhb

Traditionally, they've like to do heavy regions in Regions 1 and 2, then split things between East/West quadrants around the Nashville area. However, thsi time that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

It wouldn't surprise me to see:

Region 1:

Tennessee High

Morristown East

David Crockett

Daniel Boone

Volunteer

Cherokee

Region 2:

Knox Central

Knox Catholic

South Doyle

Knox Halls

Sevier County

Cocke County

Region 3:

Powell

Knox West

Oak Ridge

Campbell County

Clinton

Karns

Region 4:

Rhea County

Walker Valley

Soddy Daisy

White County

Page

They may pack Cocke County into Region 1 for a 7 team region and make a 5 or 6 team Knoxville area region, but that really isn't that sensible. It's about the same distance from Cocke County to go to the Knox County area schools as it is to go East.

The two Knoxville area districts just make sense.

Page is in Williamson County. They will be with Summit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region 8-1A was KIPP, Memphis Middle College, Booker T. Washington, and Middleton. I think it might have originally been a 5 or 6 team region with a couple of schools closing in the past 2 years, though.

In DII, you had Class AA West made up of MUS, Briarcrest, Christian Brothers, and St. Benedict.

There were tons of 5 team districts spread out through the classifications, as well.

When schools close it is inevitable and did not all of the private qualify anyway? I don't believe it has ever been set up in a way where all teams automatically get in unless the classification allowed it such as D2. Always was 5 or more. Have to play for something.

Can't see them taking Knox Catholic and placing them east when you have Knox West, Powell, Karns located east of where Catholic is located.

Swap Catholic and Powell and you've got a good region for both schools.  I think HHS was in a region with Mo-West & Cocke Co. back in the mid-late 90's and it was always a good region.  Had Maryville, Halls, Powell, Clinton, Central and South-Doyle I think.

Can't see them taking Knox Catholic and placing them east when you have Knox West, Powell, Karns located east of where Catholic is located.

Swap Catholic and Powell and you've got a good region for both schools.

Agreed. In that scenario, I think swapping Powell and Catholic makes the most geographic sense.

The biggest problem in East TN will be Region 4, without question, especially with so many Chattanooga-area schools jumping to 6A. Page won't end up there, so the only "natural" fits are Walker Valley, Rhea Co, and Soddy-Daisy. Lenoir City will likely end up there, as will White Co. Franklin Co could go there too, but I think they'll end up in Region 5 with Shelbyville and Lincoln Co.

When schools close it is inevitable and did not all of the private qualify anyway? I don't believe it has ever been set up in a way where all teams automatically get in unless the classification allowed it such as D2. Always was 5 or more. Have to play for something.

They also had the Super 32 and every basketball team qualifies for the post-season.  The T$$AA doesn't really care about what you play for, as long as the playoffs pay off.

In the 5 team districts, 1-9 or 2-8 would get a team in pretty consistently, while a team from a tougher 7 or 8 team district would go 6-4 and be left sitting at home.

Edited by BlueDevil58

They also had the Super 32 and every basketball team qualifies for the post-season. The T$$AA doesn't really care about what you play for, as long as the playoffs pay off.

In the 5 team districts, 1-9 or 2-8 would get a team in pretty consistently, while a team from a tougher 7 or 8 team district would go 6-4 and be left sitting at home.

Super 32 was its own entity and played by different rules regarding playoff participation. Basketball is different as well. And I totally agree with your assessment of 5 team districts and that history is fixing to repeat itself. I just do not believe there will be any 4 team districts/regions no matter the travel.

I have a question about schools moving up in class.  The way I understand, if a team wants to move up, they are allowed to do that but that wont move somebody else up or down to keep the numbers where they are now.  Example, if 3 4A schools move up to 5A, then there would be 52 schools in 5A and 46 in 4A.  Is this correct?

I have a question about schools moving up in class. The way I understand, if a team wants to move up, they are allowed to do that but that wont move somebody else up or down to keep the numbers where they are now. Example, if 3 4A schools move up to 5A, then there would be 52 schools in 5A and 46 in 4A. Is this correct?

Correct, you cannot penalize a school to move up a class by a lower class school moving up. There is no ripple effect.

The Big Tuna knows that all these questions will be answered in the next few weeks but until that happens I will provide some suggestions along the way!

5A to 6A:

Gallatin to play in the same Region with Hendersonville

Southwind to play with Whitehaven

Summit to play in with Independence, Brentwood, Centennial, Ravenwood

Walker Valley to play in with Bradley and Cleveland

4A to 5A

Seymour to play in same Region with Sevier County

Sequoyah to play in with Lenior City

East Hamilton to play in with Walker Valley and Soddy Daisy

Nolensville to play in with Page and Summit

These are just a few but if you know of any making the move up please post it to keep all informed!!!

Thanks and good fishing to all:

WT