Why login?

• It's free
  • Participate in the discussions
  • Contribute schedules, rosters and scores
  • Hide the advertising on the message boards by becoming a Plus member
  • Welcome to CoachT.com!

You can't become a part of our great high school sports community without logging in!

Regular visitors will tell you: they love keeping up with teams outside their own area. That only happens when we share information here on CoachT.com!

Don't have an account? It only takes a second to create one, and it's even easier with a Facebook or Twitter account!
    Photo

96 Melrose

• Please log in to reply
    29 replies to this topic

#1 Solomon

Solomon

Most Valuable Player

• CoachT+
    • 8,656 posts

Posted A week ago

It's state title week so seems like as good of time as any to bring them up.

20th anniversary of one of the most talented and impressive teams in state history. I still chuckle when I think about them visiting Milan in the playoffs that year and running them off the field.

My favorite thing about the team was they would go 4/5 wide down the field and then go full house T inside the 20 and run the double cross better than any team I've ever seen. They were just a fun, fun team to watch.

Pay the price to win.

#2 BlackHavenSenator

BlackHavenSenator

Record Holder

• Members
    • 3,594 posts

Posted A week ago

Ced Wilson, Kendall Moorehead, Dewayne Robertson, etc, those dudes were bad ahh... the thing I really liked were them Gold Shoes they used to have

I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD... Former Player, Coach, but ALWAYS The Senator 2012, 2016 6A STATE CHAMPIONS... RESPECT DA HAVEN

#3 BlackHavenSenator

BlackHavenSenator

Record Holder

• Members
    • 3,594 posts

Posted A week ago

I know there are some folks out there that saw this team in real time. I was in Jr. High when they were on their run

I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD... Former Player, Coach, but ALWAYS The Senator 2012, 2016 6A STATE CHAMPIONS... RESPECT DA HAVEN

#4 BlackHavenSenator

BlackHavenSenator

Record Holder

• Members
    • 3,594 posts

Posted A week ago

Double post

Edited by BlackHavenSenator, A week ago.

#5 BIGPURPLEMACHINE

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 5,282 posts

Posted A week ago

I know there are some folks out there that saw this team in real time. I was in Jr. High when they were on their run

I wa a sophomore and played on the Milan team that they destroyed first rd. Worst Milan beat down I have ever seen.

On another note. That Melrose team had to forfeit several games that year but still qualified for the playoffs. Anyone remember why??
    MILAN BULLDAWGS- BRINGIN' THE WOOD!!!
    STATE CHAMPS- 71', 77', 98', 99' STATE RUNNER-UP- 93', 08', 09', 11', 12'

#6 bobcat93

bobcat93

challenger

• Validating
    • 1,193 posts

Posted A week ago

Ced Wilson, Kendall Moorehead, Dewayne Robertson, etc, those dudes were bad ahh... the thing I really liked were them Gold Shoes they used to have

Don't forget Andre Lott.He was a beast at linebacker.And yes the gold shoes I remember them well.They torched Giles Co. in the playoffs that year.I think it was 96 might have been 95 or 97 hard to remember when you get my age.

#7 BlackHavenSenator

BlackHavenSenator

Record Holder

• Members
    • 3,594 posts

Posted A week ago

B U M P

#8 kwc

kwc

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 6,159 posts

Posted A week ago

I wa a sophomore and played on the Milan team that they destroyed first rd. Worst Milan beat down I have ever seen.

On another note. That Melrose team had to forfeit several games that year but still qualified for the playoffs. Anyone remember why??

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been ineligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.  

Edited by kwc, A week ago.

kwc
    2016 Class 6A State Champions, 2015 Class 6A Semi-finalist, 2014 Class 6A Semi-finalist2013 Class 6A Quarter-finalist, 2012 Class 6A State Champions, 2011 Class 6A State Runner-up, 2010 Class 6A Semi-finalist, 2009 Class 6A Quarterfinalist

#9 Solomon

Solomon

Most Valuable Player

• CoachT+
    • 8,656 posts

Posted A week ago

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been intelligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.  

It was quite entertaining.

God they were good. Played Cover 0 every single play.

Pay the price to win.

#10 BIGPURPLEMACHINE

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Most Valuable Player

• Members
    • 5,282 posts

Posted A week ago

Yeah ... I followed that team very closely. I remember. Coach Tim Thompson discovered that one of his players may have been intelligible, so he self reported and put the player off the team. The TSSAA said that they had to forfeit all of the games that he played in. He had played in 4 games. Melrose had to run the table to get the 4 seed. I remember thinking ... "Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the 1 seed". Melrose became the ultimate road warriors in the playoffs and just went out into the surrounding counties and just SMASHED teams on their own fields. It was incredible to witness. When Melrose played those game, all of Orange Mound showed up in Rural TN. Picture THAT in your mind.

My team team was the 1 seed and we were destroyed. I was a sophomore. It was a very demoralizing loss. But it made us work extremely hard in the off season. 2 years later when I was a senior we were state champs.
    MILAN BULLDAWGS- BRINGIN' THE WOOD!!!
    STATE CHAMPS- 71', 77', 98', 99' STATE RUNNER-UP- 93', 08', 09', 11', 12'

Spirit Style Chooser: