Best Players from the Old NIL (Nashville Interscholastic League)

gator

The linebacker at Mount Juliet was Tim Bryant in 1981. He later played at Vanderbilt and Southern Mississippi. Later in the CFL and for the Vikings. He still lives in the area and last I heard ran a "boot camp" type deal for juvenile offenders. Really nice guy. There were A BUNCH of Majors guys at MJ through the years. James "Ruby" Majors was one.

There is no mention of an Ed Echols at TPS ever being selected all-city back to 1930. James "Red" Gaylor made it three straight years at center in '48, '49, and '50. Perhaps this is who you are thinking of?

I have A LOT of Litton background in me and I do not know who Billy Kee is. I will have to research that one.

Thanks for the help. Like I said, a lot of that was "urban legend". Except for Bryant. I was forced to face him when he was a senior and I was a freshman center. They played an even front and he got three sacks the first three plays. After the punt, my line coach asked me, "Son, you ever gonna pick up that middle linebacker?" I told him the truth---"What middle linebacker? I ain't seen nobody to hit yet!" :blink:

Yeah, he was that fast.

VI

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NIL Coaches that also played in the NIL (where they played)

Warren Dunn - Central

Jerry Pigue - Central

James Dickerson - Central

Charles Bozeman - Antioch

Wes Elrod - Antioch

Ron Aydellot - Antioch

Buddy Brown - Antioch

Phil Grammer - Hillsboro

Bubba Spears - Stratford

Richard Campbell - Stratford

Arcentae Broome - Stratford

Doug Mullican - Madison

Howell Flatt - Cumberland

Bill Derrick - Ryan

Boots Donnelly - Ryan

Joe Drennan - Ryan

Jerry Broadbent - Glencliff

Herschel Moore - Litton

Richard Coure - Cameron

Greg Abner - McGavock

Dan Thompson - Cohn

there are more..................add to the list

Edited by feliznavidad

Mt. Juliet was in the NIL for years, but not sure of the years in which the Bears were members. Some of the names that were great players for those teams that come to mind.

Wayne Hackney (Great Athlete that chose baseball over football)

Johnny Lowe (All NIL '71, University of Tennessee)

John Simms (Mean as a snake that still teaches at MJ)

Mitchell Bradley (Could run a football, sadly recently died)

Tim Bryant (Vanderbilt and pro career, probably the best to ever come out of MJ)

Guys, I didn't know an old fat man could laugh and cry at the same time! What a thread.

There are several old neighborhood "legends" that need to be confirmed or debunked. Here are some to think about:

TPS/TIS: Ed Echols was, I believe, the only 5-time all state lineman in history. This would have been somewhere in the '40's, I think. Anybody remember?

Litton: What about Billy Kee?

West: AK Smith, who later became a rather successful basketball coach/concessions manager?

Maplewood: If the NIL survived into, say, 1981 or so, what about the Goodloe and Young tandem Mama Johnson had in his backfield in the late '70s/early 80's?

Pearl: Keeping in the same time frame, Amos Drummond?

MT Juliet: Maybe not in the NIL, but a lot of Nashville teams faced them. Had a linebacker by the name of Tim Majors who was almost as good as EJ Junior (but not quite).

Finally, anybody remember the name Budro Harrington?

Thanks---

Budro Harrington, if I remember correctly, had the distinction of being the first white player to sign with Tennessee State. I think he played at East? Not sure though of that or the year he graduated.

For some reason that fact always stuck in my head, I don't know if he played at TSU or whatever became of him.

VI

Better yet , some names from way back.

Angelo Varollo East 41

George Hunter Central 40

John McPherson 41

Pete Holt TIS 44

Tom Keysaer East 44

Charlie Hawkins MBA 49

Maxie Runion Cohn 47

Red Gaylor TIS 50

Ben Donnell Dupont 53

Gene Moore Goodletsville 54

Tom Husband MBA 56

Bobby Tillman Litton 55

Joe Bates Ryan 55

L. F. McCellan Litton 52

Joe Foxall Hillsboro 57

Frank Haliburton Ryan 58

Just a few to maybe jog some memories. More later. :thumb:

Wow...I know Ben Donnell. Use to work with him in Nashville many years ago.

Does anyone remember a Ray or Raymond Jolly from Stratford?

You forgot these Maplewood greats

Gipson's (Mike & Malvin)

Dallas Hall (maybe best NIL defensive player ever!)

Ron Harris

How about Chester Ewing??

Tony Buck

William Smith (fastest interior lineman ever in NIL?)

Hey MON, How bout these golden oldies from your backyard.

Durwood Hall, and big Ed Woodruff <_<