Gary Rankin & George Quarles

BoardHater71

Barneysox made the most honest statement on this thread when he mentioned a Maryville player from 2000. All-East Tn. all-star teams could be announced if you dug up skeletons on every team's players. Of those that have taken the wrong turn when younger, how many have become productive citizens in our society. Bet there are more +'s then -'s.

GQ & GR, one word sums it up. WINNERS. Now you can dice it up any way you want too but both men are winners. You can say GQ does this or GR is this. Bottom line is this...they both have a style that works and will not give in to please anyone. I only know what I see when I watch games, I don't know how they communicate with there players and media. There are a bunch of different ways to win and they have 2 proven plans. Don't think either has ever been in trouble with the T$$AA either.

Good post. Different paths to get to the same place...some might like the road less traveled, others may not.

Seriously you are blaming or saying that a coaches influence on his former players is a contributing factor of them being in jail..

COME ON MAN

Sir you are "Lost"

You need to look a lot closer at the home this player was raised in before the coach had them as a player. Values and morals long set before high school

Yes a solid home life is always a plus, but when you have players STEALING from other players in the locker room and you do NOTHING about it because they are starters at FB and RB, then you have a real problem.

Also throwing players off the bus because you lose to a team like Dickson in the playoffs and ranting and raving at them in the parking lot is NOT a class act.  Also when you do lose you ride with your players in case some need help dealing with it.  Rankin NEVER did this.  In fact he made a point telling the players that he was ashamed to be seen with them.  NOT A CLASS ACT, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Now just how much attention does he pay to players grades?  At R'dale they were either 'fixed' or ignored if you were a starter.  One of the biggest blowups I had with him personally was to ground my son when he made a D in a class.  In my house only C's or better was acceptable.

For some reason I do not see Coach Q doing stuff like that.  Thus the difference between good and GREAT!

GQ & GR, one word sums it up. WINNERS. Now you can dice it up any way you want too but both men are winners. You can say GQ does this or GR is this. Bottom line is this...they both have a style that works and will not give in to please anyone. I only know what I see when I watch games, I don't know how they communicate with there players and media. There are a bunch of different ways to win and they have 2 proven plans. Don't think either has ever been in trouble with the T$$AA either.

Recruiting violations are hard to receive when your schools have open borders like Mexico.  Lets make Tennessee football great again and play for the school your bus takes you to.

My only real beef with Rankin was throwing that lineman under the bus after the game in an interview on TV with the kid standing right beside him when they lost to CPA. I know the kids father and really upset me to see that because one play didn't change the out come in that game. The positive side is that he is a tough individual and will not put up with any crap and you play by his rules or hit the road. I can go back to 1965 and tell anyone Alcoa has always had the best athletes overall year after year but they can only win when the warden is running the prisoners and not the other way around. I have to give the man credit there because I've seen it the other way for many years.

I saw the same thing .. and commented on it on Coacht at the time  ..what a classless act .... 

How did they both end up in the same county?

Rankin thought he had the job at Valdosta Ga all sewed up.  Did until a gentleman that went by 2priceless contacted them about some things.  Then Rankin tried Hoover and BA in the private ranks.  NONE of them hired him.  ANY of these hiring him would have allowed him to draw his Tn retirement and a new paycheck.  GREED motivates him more than anything.  He has it made right now at Alcoa as he just has to Coach and win.  He gets a viable offer from either a private or another high paying state and he will be gone like a shot. 

Alcoa got him by default after they promised him the assistant Principal slot with NO classes having to be taught.

Everybody keeps on about writing on the wall.  The writing was the Superintendent that kept him from being busted for recruiting retired.  He would have had to play without recruiting.  Thusly he LEFT!