Mairvul Footbawl 2017

STARSNBARS

1 hour ago, pepvol said:

Is there some reason why Maryville’s State Championship in 1964 is ignored? Is that like before recorded History or something? I enjoyed Tom Kreager’s article, but it always amazes me how other schools get to claim their pre 1969 State Championships but Maryville doesn’t.  It makes me feel sorry for those guys on that team , it’s like they never played at all . 

That was before the TSSAA had a playoff system and officially crowned a TSSAA-recognized state championship, so people that go strictly by the book omit that one. If it's any consolation, I think it should be completely equal across the board...none of the pre-1969 titles should "count" if people don't count Maryville's 1964 title. It's not their fault they played before the playoff system was initiated, and people shouldn't pick and choose who to recognize titles for.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AllRegion said:

That was before the TSSAA had a playoff system and officially crowned a TSSAA-recognized state championship, so people that go strictly by the book omit that one. If it's any consolation, I think it should be completely equal across the board...none of the pre-1969 titles should "count" if people don't count Maryville's 1964 title. It's not their fault they played before the playoff system was initiated, and people shouldn't pick and choose who to recognize titles for.

I know that was before the playoffs, that’s why I mentioned 1969 , the 1964 State Championship was from the AP ... that’s how State Championships were decided then ... should we not count any college National Championships before the BCS started in 1998 ? Or since there wasn’t a playoff, do we not count all National Championships before 2014 when the College football playoffs started ? 

Just now, pepvol said:

I know that was before the playoffs, that’s why I mentioned 1969 , the 1964 State Championship was from the AP ... that’s how State Championships were decided then ... should we not count any college National Championships before the BCS started in 1998 ? Or since there wasn’t a playoff, do we not count all National Championships before 2014 when the College football playoffs started ? 

I agree with you completely, and the points you are making. It's honestly all semantics, but I am way too OCD for my own good, lol. I have a very strange position on the whole topic due to this OCD, but I recognize that it's weird and most people probably don't see it the same way. I go by the official organization's record book for everything...so for example, if I was on a NCAA Division 1 FBS team that won a championship, it would bother me because it's not an officially recognized NCAA title. Even the new playoff system isn't NCAA-sanctioned. However, Division I FCS and Division II and III all have NCAA playoffs, so George Quarles has the rare combo of HS and College titles. Sorry for the un-requested explanation into how I see things, but I was just showing that I'm a little odd in this way, and I wasn't just trying to argue  :)