Wayne County 2017

wildcat89

Risner at quarterback reminds me of the year Austin Rice was quarterback. Owen is not quite as filled out as Austin was but is by far a better passer. Anyway, Austins senior year was the year the cats took home the good ball. Risner is a very good athlete. His sister, Kelsey was a standout in basketball as her team won a state championship her junior year. She went onto have a great career at Union University.

I knew that Risner name sounded familiar. And you don't have to tell me a thing about Austin, my brother was a senior on the West Carroll team that traveled to Waynesboro for the semifinals

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an outsider looking in, it begs the question. Can Waynesboro sustain the success they've come to know without a Rice at qb? If I'm not mistaking the best teams you've guys had all had a Rice taking snaps.

Since Coach Rice became head coach for the first time in 1993, WC has went 203-84.  A lot of that is the Rice qbs, but lot of it ain't. 

If you're asking if we'll continue going 10-0 and winning region championships every year, probably not.  We went 53-4 in region play with a Rice behind center, and won 7 region titles never finishing lower than 2nd.  That's hard to sustain. Having said that, we've finished first or second in the region in 16 of the last 24 seasons.  That's not a bad clip, even without the Rice's.  I don't think that's going to change in the next couple of years.

The program's big test will be when Coach Rice and/or Crews decide to leave or stop coaching. 

Since Coach Rice became head coach for the first time in 1993, WC has went 203-84. A lot of that is the Rice qbs, but lot of it ain't.

If you're asking if we'll continue going 10-0 and winning region championships every year, probably not. We went 53-4 in region play with a Rice behind center, and won 7 region titles never finishing lower than 2nd. That's hard to sustain. Having said that, we've finished first or second in the region in 16 of the last 24 seasons. That's not a bad clip, even without the Rice's. I don't think that's going to change in the next couple of years.

The program's big test will be when Coach Rice and/or Crews decide to leave or stop coaching.

That last quote is dead on. Lord knows they don't do it for the money. Not sure who will come in down the road for the coaching supplement that's being earned as of now. Coaches in the WC school system are highly unpaid!

That last quote is dead on. Lord knows they don't do it for the money. Not sure who will come in down the road for the coaching supplement that's being earned as of now. Coaches in the WC school system are highly unpaid!

Yes they are, with the crowds that this program has brought through the gate over the last several years you would think they would open their eyes.

how much do head coaches and assistants get paid in Wayne county?

Not exactly sure, but like a percentage of their teacher pay not to exceed like 15%. I think that's just for high school head coaches. Not to raise the hair on peoples neck, but that means a head volleyball coach makes pretty much the same as a head football coach. Both sports are important, but what's bringing in the most return? Doesn't make since to me. An assistant coach gets about half that percentage or less.

Looks like the scrimmage will take place tomorrow at Columbia Academy around 5:30. That means you better be there by 5:00. Let's get a little taste for next year's team. Not all players for either team will play because of other sports but it's still football!

Looks like the scrimmage will take place tomorrow at Columbia Academy around 5:30. That means you better be there by 5:00. Let's get a little taste for next year's team. Not all players for either team will play because of other sports but it's still football!

I can't wait! Mine is done for the spring but we will be there

Very impressed with the cats. I'm going to say I was shocked by their performance, because I knew the talent was there. Offensive and defensive lines as good as advertised by what I've been hearing. Always room for improvements, but I really like this team and attitude. On that note, this team appeared to have a very good attitude with no disciplinary issues. These kids have their heads on right. Very good TEAM chemistry.