TN State Tournament Officiating

BballLover865

Anybody that wants to argue for the refs, I challenge you to go and read all the state tourney posts and see how many people are upset by this showing this week. And hardly anyone says its one sided but bad all the way around. That speaks volumes.

I'm not in support of any referees. But I've heard of bad officiating most of my life, and I'm in my 50's.  Back when I was playing Jr. Pro football referees also made bad calls. So I don't think that's about to change. About the only time that referees aren't "bad" is when one team is clearly superior to another. I often see fouls uncalled in basketball when one team is blowing out another. But no one complains about that.

But you still haven't answered as to how bad referees help the TSSAA. And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.  I have my own issues with how they run things. Such as, when they split years ago they should have just done a clean public/private split. Another issue I have is the bloated classifications in football. Division I should have four classes (five at most), not six. And Division II should have two classes at most, not thee. I think four classes in all sports in Division I and two classes in Division II is a good fit.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not at Murfreesboro...watching on a 55" tv with pause, rewind, and frame by frame...the calls are awful. I'm not usually one to be critical of the ref's...they're human, and will make mistakes just as I would if I were calling the games. The calling that I'm watching isn't "human error" it's a concerted effort to insert themselves into the game. Phantom calls with no contact, blocking fouls where contact is initiated by the offense, and way too many calls where contact is not significant to alter the player or the shot. What happened to the "let them play, and the best team wins" mentality? Not for letting too much contact go, just let the kids play! I don't think that any of the outcome of todays games would be different, but they would be much more enjoyable to watch if the zebras would just calm it down a notch or two.

I'm not at Murfreesboro...watching on a 55" tv with pause, rewind, and frame by frame...the calls are awful. I'm not usually one to be critical of the ref's...they're human, and will make mistakes just as I would if I were calling the games. The calling that I'm watching isn't "human error" it's a concerted effort to insert themselves into the game. Phantom calls with no contact, blocking fouls where contact is initiated by the offense, and way too many calls where contact is not significant to alter the player or the shot. What happened to the "let them play, and the best team wins" mentality? Not for letting too much contact go, just let the kids play! I don't think that any of the outcome of todays games would be different, but they would be much more enjoyable to watch if the zebras would just calm it down a notch or two.

Agreed. I watched a lot of games live this week and noticed too many travel and charge calls. I'm hoping next season, the game is more fluid in the state of Tennessee during the State Tournament.

Edited by CASC95

you must be. Catering to where the bigger crowds come from, equals a bigger gate. $$$

I'm not sure that's valid, or all of the private schools would have been in division II sooner. Catholic and Grace from Knoxville probably brought 100 fans combined to the state tournament.

If there was an agenda, Haywood would have gotten all the calls, as they brought probably the biggest crowd that I witnessed.