Nashville or Memphis.

REBELRON

On 6/26/2017 at 11:31 AM, kwc said:

I don't think you can co strictly by population numbers ... besides, both are very close in numbers ... population wise.

The only thing you can go by would be the number of LOI's signed and executed. That being stated, this past season Whitehaven had twenty (20) LOIs and Cordova had fifteen (15 ) LOIs signed between the two institutions. Then you add in the five (5) from Lausanne, the four (4) from Memphis East, the three (3) from Treazevant, the two (2) from CBHS, and the two (2) from MUS. That's 52 LOIs from Memphis. That's off of the top of my head ... some of those numbers may be off ... but not by much. That's not counting the others I've left off because I just don't remember them all. Memphis Central usually has a few and so does Melrose. I don't know the final tally because I've been focused on Whitehaven's numbers. However, Cordova caught my eye when they had 15 this past season.

Can you produce numbers on Nashville?

Let me add this ...

I feel confident in saying this. Whitehaven isn't a fluke when it comes to this. If you go to the Whitehaven HUDL page and you read the Mission Statement, then you will understand. Last year we had 14 guys sign LOIs and the year before that we had 12 guys sign LOIs. I don't remember beyond that. Its what Whitehaven does. We prepare the young men for college, and we purposefully make sure the parents realize the importance of having their son's hit the camps in the summer ... and not just one camp. I've said it before and it bears repeating ... coach Saulsberry and his staff are the BEST at this in the entire state, bar none ... maybe regionally, when it come to getting players recruited. Coaches ought to be blowing up his email and his cell phone for him to teach seminars on this, because there is no coach in this state who can hold a candle to him in this regard. NO ONE. They have figured it out and the colleges are coming in droves. The Cordova coach had a very good season year last season .... I'm keeping my eye on them because 15 LOIs isn't a fluke either.

If there are schools in the Nashville area doing what coach Saulberry is doing at the frequency and consistency to which Whitehaven is doing this ... then perhaps Nashville is putting more guys in college then Memphis. I doubt it very seriously though.

Now ... if you are just talking talent alone, and not LOIs signed ... that debate will go on for eternity. That's way to subjective to measure because what one guy says is talent another guy might not.

What Saulsberry does is absolutely unmatched in our state. High praise for that man, we need more like him. 

The city of Jackson needs a Saulsberry like coach. While it will never compare to Memphis or Nashville on pure numbers alone there's so many kids in Madison County that.   A. Never get a shot to play college ball that could or B. End up settling for a lesser school than what they deserve because coach didn't put in that extra effort for them. 

Don't even get me started on the talent roaming the halls that never get encouraged to play either 

31 minutes ago, REBELRON said:

UT has had several mid state guys lately.  Derek Barnett. Jalen  Hurd, Josh Malone, Kyle Phillips, Jack Jones, Juan Jennings

UT comes to Memphis and they manage gets some from here as well. But, they have a fight on their hands because a young man from Memphis has Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kentucky to choose from in the SEC that are all closer to home then UT. Whitehaven had a star LB off of last year's team to commit to Missouri and there is a star CB off of this year's team that has already verbally committed to Vandy.

Then throw in an improving Univ. of Memphis football program. The U of M isn't getting any top dog SEC guys ... but they recently drew in some 4-star recruits. 

Edited by kwc

16 hours ago, REBELRON said:

UT has had several mid state guys lately.  Derek Barnett. Jalen  Hurd, Josh Malone, Kyle Phillips, Jack Jones, Juan Jennings

Yea that's try. They will always have a few but then you look at it from another angle. You have 2LSU,3Memphis,2Georgia,2Oregon,3ND,5Vandy,2Olemiss This is just off the top of my head the past few years. 

16 hours ago, kwc said:

UT comes to Memphis and they manage gets some from here as well. But, they have a fight on their hands because a young man from Memphis has Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, Arkansas, Missouri, and Kentucky to choose from in the SEC that are all closer to home then UT. Whitehaven had a star LB off of last year's team to commit to Missouri and there is a star CB off of this year's team that has already verbally committed to Vandy.

Then throw in an improving Univ. of Memphis football program. The U of M isn't getting any top dog SEC guys ... but they recently drew in some 4-star recruits. 

They "Memphis" just got a Sec lineman  last year from Nashville that could have basically went where ever he wanted. Their on the come up

8 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

They "Memphis" just got a Sec lineman  last year from Nashville that could have basically went where ever he wanted. Their on the come up

I know, but ... you know how it is. He was considered a highly valued commodity when his recruitment was open. UT, Ole Miss ... the usual suspects. However, after he verbally committed to the U of M, then all of a sudden people's opinion of him changed. They say that he's not 'all that'. Now, had he committed to an SEC school .... opinions wouldn't have changed on him. You know how that goes. It doesn't change the 4-stars by his name that the recruiting services attached to his talent ... but that's how folk do when they don't get what they want. It's the sour grapes syndrome when a "non-power 5 school scoops the SEC schools for a recruit" thing that happens.

It is what it is. That's why I worded it the way that I did in the first place.

2 hours ago, kwc said:

I know, but ... you know how it is. He was considered a highly valued commodity when his recruitment was open. UT, Ole Miss ... the usual suspects. However, after he verbally committed to the U of M, then all of a sudden people's opinion of him changed. They say that he's not 'all that'. Now, had he committed to an SEC school .... opinions wouldn't have changed on him. You know how that goes. It doesn't change the 4-stars by his name that the recruiting services attached to his talent ... but that's how folk do when they don't get what they want. It's the sour grapes syndrome when a "non-power 5 school scoops the SEC schools for a recruit" thing that happens.

It is what it is. That's why I worded it the way that I did in the first place.

Same can be said for Master Teague... he was a 3 star prospect according to several ranking services. With 24 offers  UT,ND,Vandy,Ga, OleMiss, Mississippi,Auburn and a whole host of others. He didn't go all over camping, but after running 4.37  x 40 and 4.34 twice at BAMA and Ohio state and picking up an offer while he was there and then committing to Ohio.  the services quickly said oh well he should be a 4 star  top 10 running back in the country , while all the previous schools turned sour... Oh we didn't really want him anyway... right!?!????