Respecting the Flag and National Anthem

GradfromtheNest

I totally agree with you all! If you cant stand and honor the American Flag and stand for the National Anthem, then you dont have much in you (your not much of a person.) Everytime you see the American Flag, or here the National Anthem, just think of the sacrifices for you! Great men, and women, died to save you and your country! And Jesus died for all of us that we could live. Both of those are more than enough reasons to stand for the National Anthem, respect the American flag, and honor the simple, Pledge of Allegiance! There are kids in my school as well that just sit there or talk through the entire thing! Its ridiculous, rude, and dis-honorable! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen several terrible displays of standing at attention during the playing of our National Anthem prior to baseball games this year.

It's a total disgrace to yourself, school, and community.  If you cannot stand at attention for a minute and a half without looking around, spitting, stretching, talking, yawning, and the list goes on, then you shouldn't even be allowed to play high school baseball. 

There are men and women around the world every single day who work 24 hour shifts to protect me and you and our freedom.  But they still make the time twice a day to stand at attention, salute, and honor America as the flag is raised and lowered.  I don't think it's too much to ask that high school baseball players stand at attention, not even saluting, for a minute and a half as the National Anthem is played. 

Stand at attention, look at the flag, and take pride in being a free American with the right to play baseball!

825643043[/snapback]

Not only the players but the fans as well often show disrespect. I have seen several people in the stands not remove their hat or chit-chat through the National Anthem. I am one of those that cannot stand idly by without discreetly reminding someone directly or indirectly of their behavior. Why? How can you as an American hear the National Anthem, listen to those around you sing along or hum the words, watch Old Glory wave off that flagpole and not feel something inside? We're talking baseball here too..........America's Past Time!! As a good ole' Southern educated redneck, I feel a lump in my throat, chill bumps on my arms and a swelling in my chest every time the first six notes of that Grand Old Song are played. Not just for personal reasons but for those friends, family and acquaintances that have served and protected us and our freedoms, some even giving the greatest gift.........their life. So the next time you see someone show disrespectful behavior in this Country, to our National Anthem, to our Flag and to Baseball, our National Past Time.........let them know about it!! I'll get off my SoapBox now................Let's hope the rain subsides so we can play ball!!

I agree with respecting the country's flag. But I disagree with have a moment of slience or prayer. Especially if you are atheist, the people praying are oppressing their beliefs on you and that's not what our country is about. But that's my personal opnion. If they did put that in the TSSAA rules, I know I would challenge that.

825643240[/snapback]

Explain how having a moment of prayer or a moment of silence could possibly push anything on you. Are you afraid that you might be tempted to join in and ruin your "Athieistic" view on reality.

I used to know alot of so-called athiest. They were mostly posers who used it because they thought it made them different and unique. They were usually loners who were depressed all the time, relying on depressing music and dressing in dark drab clothing, moping about and whinning because nothing went their way and the whole world was against them. Athieism was an excuse to be lazy and blame all their shortcomings on everyone "Oppressing" against them. They were always the first ones to cry "Its not fair" or "Its a conspiracy". Most of them Ive seen in the last few years grew-up and out of that and have made thier lives something great. The ones who didnt still havent gotten anywhere in life. Mostly living at home(in thier 30s), working for 6.00 an hour and still whinning about how cruel the world has been to them.

Do you see a connection?

Heres a bit of info....

While all you so-called athiest are whinning and running down christians and/or any other GOD fearing or GOD loving people, keep in mind WE ARE ALWAYS PRAYING FOR YOU AND HOPING THAT YOU MIGHT FIND PEACE WITH GOD. That means we hope for something good to come into your life. Thats a possitive thing. So dont act like someone is trying to push you into something bad.

At COLLINWOOD we play the National Anthem and we have a moment of silence before our games. :P

I agree with respecting the country's flag. But I disagree with have a moment of slience or prayer. Especially if you are atheist, the people praying are oppressing their beliefs on you and that's not what our country is about. But that's my personal opnion. If they did put that in the TSSAA rules, I know I would challenge that.

825643240[/snapback]

As far as respecting the flag, I agree with everything that everyone has said. It is not just an object and the anthem is not just a song--they are symbols. Symbols of freedom and the sacrifices that were given for our freedoms. It should be a time of reflection and time of thankfulness for what we have and so many others do not. As for the prayer before games, it is very common before football games. I see it at many stadiums on Friday nights. I don't think it is oppressive at all. If you don't want to participate, no one will make you. Tdluna, I feel bad that you feel that way and may God have mercy on your soul if your views do not change. I will pray for you and hope that you someday see the awesomeness that is God.

I am not atheist, agnostic, or santanic nor will I ever be. I believe God. But I do support the rights of those who aren't christians. I have several friends who are atheist and I respect their beliefs. But its not only atheist. You also have to give respect to Buddisht, Muslims, and etc... But as I said thats my opinion. I am not here to challenge people's religion. I am here to protect others religions as well. I would NOT allow anyone stop Christian values in the church but as for a moment of sillence that is good so all people from different religions can pray in their own beliefs. So don't call me an atheist when you don't even know me.

Let's remember that when we do show respect to the flag during the National Anthem, we do it properly. .... Only the right hand touches the heart, not the cap being held by the right hand. Hold your cap in your left hand or put it down on the bleachers/benches. .... Just a little point I wanted to make. ... Not that holding your cap over your heart is disrespectful, but it is technically incorrect, and not too many people are even aware of it.

The fact that kids don't show the respect is 100% the parents fault. It has to be taught.

Last Thanksgiving we were sitting down to the afternoon meal at my mom's. The adults are in the dining room and the kids are at the kitchen table. In the den off the kitchen the TV is on and the beginning of the Cowboys game is on. We had already had prayer and started eating. My mom was at the end of the dining room table where she could see where the kids were. She said my son stood up and faced the TV and she asked my brother what he was doing. Before he could answer I asked if the anthem was playing on the TV. He said yes. I said, he's standing for the anthem isn't he? My brother said yes, he was standing there with his hand over his heart. I said, "That's my boy."

He does that because I taught him that we always respect the flag. The flag represents every man and woman who has died in battle to protect this country and when you don't respect it you're disrespecting them.

I taught him and told him how important it was. He gladly stands and shows his respect every time for the anthem and the pledge.

Parents, get off your rears and teach this to your children. Don't expect them to figure it out for themselves.

Del (who is proud to be an American and a Desert Storm veteran. Hooah! Air Assault!!!!!)

What are the coaches doing when their players are acting like fools during the national anthem? These players represent the following people:

1. the school

2. their family

3. coaches

4. team

5. community

Everyone needs to come down hard on these kids to make them understand how lucky they are to be in the USA.

Maybe we need to start drafting all 18 year olds and have them do a 2 year hitch.

Well, I was waiting on someone to suggest in this thread that these kids serve some time in the military for smiling during the national anthem.

I agree that the sincerest of respect should be shown during the anthem/moment of silence times, but folks, lets try to remember that these are kids. Yes, they should show more respect, yes, they should know that, yes their parents should have taught them...but, you'll be hardpressed to find any group of young kids during any decade at any sporting even that are taking everything as seriously as they should...that's the beauty of youth.

Let's not sign our kids up for war just yet...everyone needs a chance to mature.