a sad story out of Montana

davidlimbaugh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While there may have been one or two accidents involving wood, they are still much safer on the field of play. Even with all of the restrictions against the aluminum bats, the ball still comes off at a much higher speed than it would off of wood. I think that once baseball goes to wood not only will the pitchers be much safer their stats will be better too.

I would love to see the change to wood go through. With bat restrictions the way they are with the -3 weights, a hitters swing wouldn't be harmed too much by wooden bats. It's pretty easy to find a wooden bat with a -3 drop, sometimes more. I know accidents are rare, but if these kids want to play at a higher level, I think everything between high school and professional should make the switch.

My parents were glad to see the day when I quit pitching and focused only on catching, not because the stress is put on my arm, but the fear of a fatal come backer. I have been hit a few times, luckily in the leg, arm, foot, etc. but never anything serious. Each time that I was struck with a ball back at me, I made myself end up in a better defensive position after each pitch. If pitching coaches (and youth league daddies) would stress the defensive fielding position as much as other parts of the throwing motion, I feel that the number of injuries would significantly decrease.

Although, hitting with wood makes you learn to hit the ball on the sweet part of the bat, aluminum is a vital part of the youth to senior youth game, IMHO. The kid that is small for his age and is a late bloomer may not be able to compete in the game with wood, although, five years down the road he may be able to. But if we decide to outlaw aluminum, that kid may not be playing baseball five years down the road. Aluminum bats do have a lot of pop, but part of the problems, I think, is with the pitchers and their fielding position (or lack thereor) after they release the pitch.

It's all about money. The bat manufacturers and the lack of funding for High schools. The bat guy's sell millions of dollars each year. Wood bats break and replacing them wouldn't be cheap. Teaching defensive posture, post follow through is important.... but when it's your child toeing that rubber it's terrifying! I wish the TSSAA would take a bold stance NOW and protect our kids. When I see articles like this one, it makes me shiver.

It seems like it would be a better idea to try wood out in college programs before they tried it on high schools. In college, the players are much stronger and can handle a wooden bat a lot better. In high school, most kids aren't totally developed and it would be much tougher. Seriously now, how much fun would high school baseball be if the scores were like 1-0 and 2-1 every game? Seems like fans like the long ball better than great pitching.

I don't think going to wood is the solution. I think restricting aluminum bats is the solution.

Golf has a system in which they evaluate the performance of both clubs and balls, and restrict the performance of both. Baseball should have a similar system.

Restricting the performance of aluminum bats to the performance of wooden bats is technologically possible--heck, technologically easy--and would make both high school and college baseball safer while maintaining the economic advantages of aluminum bats. (You understand that when I say "aluminum" I'm using that to refer to all the advanced composite whatevers that they're making these days.)

But, you know what it will take to make something like that happen? More dead or crippled college pitchers. Call me pessimistic, but I think eventually there's going to be a year when that happens.

I am in favor of going back to wooden bats or composites that hit like wood. My son pitches and I have seen many a rocket just miss his head and shins! When we return to wood, this game would revert to one of finesse and skill. It would teach the boys how to really play ball.

825660646[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly.

I believe we should go to wood. It would make it safer, and even though i don't see many accidents with the pitcher getting a come backer, i just believe we should go to the REAL way to play the game, and the scores wont always be low scoring. There jsut won't be as many long balls. The fundamentals of the game will be there and runs will still score.

i think going to wood is crazy because hittin with metal bats is so much more fun and alot better pop just because people get injured from comebackers doesnt mean we should change how the game is played,and out of all the games there are its proly a 2% chance someone will get hit and it be serious