UCUA? Riverdale/CKV ump...

123DP

The game in CKV was a shame for both teams last night, with the home plate ump taking away from both pitchers, and what could have been a GREAT game. What was a huge crowd in support of both teams, it turned into a yelling fest from parents of both teams to the home plate ump, and rightfully so IMO. Both Seth and Will, starting pitchers, did a good job maintaining their composure, with Will being a little more experienced, and it payed off. BOTH COACHES, KUDOS to you, can't believe you both made it through the game on the field, but knowing you both, and the importance of the upcoming games, I should not be surprised.

Question to UCUA, and Danny Fox, how can you schedule a inexperienced HS ump for such a BIG, BIG game, and if it was set weeks before, schedules can be changed for the sake of a big game. The field ump is a very experienced ump, and you put him with a rookie which you put behind the plate. You know what he did a few weeks back in Monterery, which was embarrassing to both teams, as well as himself.

While the ump didn't have a effect on the outcome of the game, THANK GOD, he did take away from the excitement of it, and the KIDS.

Good luck to both teams tonight @ Riverdale, and hopefully the kids will get to show how good they are!!!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The game in CKV was a shame for both teams last night, with the home plate ump taking away from both pitchers, and what could have been a GREAT game. What was a huge crowd in support of both teams, it turned into a yelling fest from parents of both teams to the home plate ump, and rightfully so IMO.  Both Seth and Will, starting pitchers, did a good job maintaining their composure, with Will being a little more experienced, and it payed off. BOTH COACHES, KUDOS to you, can't believe you both made it through the game on the field, but knowing you both, and the importance of the upcoming games, I should not be surprised.

Question to UCUA, and Danny Fox, how can you schedule a inexperienced HS ump for such a BIG, BIG game, and if it was set weeks before, schedules can be changed for the sake of a big game. The field ump is a very experienced ump, and you put him with a rookie which you put behind the plate. You know what he did a few weeks back in Monterery, which was embarrassing to both teams, as well as himself.

While the ump didn't have a effect on the outcome of the game, THANK GOD, he did take away from the excitement of it, and the KIDS.

Good luck to both teams tonight @ Riverdale, and hopefully the kids will get to show how good they are!!!!

825663964[/snapback]

Home plate umpire took nothing away from any kids in lasts night's game vs. Riverdale. He had a smaller strike zone than normal. Trust me I know. But he is human, just like you and I. Since you seem to know alot, TSSAA gives people like you an opportunity to do that job. Maybe you should try it and show how perfect you are all the time. Both coaches made it through that game because they do realize the importance of the game, and the ones that follow it, but they also know that the home plate umpire was consistant with his small strikezone for both teams. Another thing, the umpires at last nights game were not there through UCUA, they are TSSAA umpires. He is by no means a "rookie!" How is that umpire inexperienced? He has been calling baseball for 8 years now and his credentials speak for themselves. If he wasn't good enough to officiate that game, believe me, he would not have been scheduled. No, I am not aware of what happened in Monterey. Shed some light and enlighten everyone. I think you could possibly have your wires crossed. Atleast you are smart enough to realize that Cookeville had their chances to win the ballgame and the umpire behind home plate had nothing to do with it. I have talked with him after the game, and he knows that he didn't have a good game, just like any player or coach. But I understand, it is so easy to point the finger.

Home plate umpire took nothing away from any kids in lasts night's game vs. Riverdale.  He had a smaller strike zone than normal.  Trust me I know.  But he is human, just like you and I.  Since you seem to know alot, TSSAA gives people like you an opportunity to do that job.  Maybe you should try it and show how perfect you are all the time.  Both coaches made it through that game because they do realize the importance of the game, and the ones that follow it, but they also know that the home plate umpire was consistant with his small strikezone for both teams.  Another thing, the umpires at last nights game were not there through UCUA, they are TSSAA umpires.  He is by no means a "rookie!"  How is that umpire inexperienced?  He has been calling baseball for 8 years now and his credentials speak for themselves.  If he wasn't good enough to officiate that game, believe me, he would not have been scheduled.  No, I am not aware of what happened in Monterey.  Shed some light and enlighten everyone.  I think you could possibly have your wires crossed.  Atleast you are smart enough to realize that Cookeville had their chances to win the ballgame and the umpire behind home plate had nothing to do with it.  I have talked with him after the game, and he knows that he didn't have a good game, just like any player or coach.  But I understand, it is so easy to point the finger.

825664441[/snapback]

I have been around baseball for 40+ years, and the homeplate umpire at the Riverdale at Cookeville game Monday night was, BY Far, the WORST umpire I have ever seen - period!

His strike zone was the size of a coke can. he called one - ONE! curve ball for a strike the entire night. We are talking about 2 pitchers with a record of 7-0 each this season and each one had to practically sit the ball on a tee to get a strike called. It was dangerous for the pitchers themselves, as witnessed by the comebackers caused by a strike zone that had to be 6 inches inside the black on both sides and had to be about 8 inches above the knees.

If that umpire has been calling for 8 years, I feel sorry for the players, coaches and fans involved in games he has called behind the plate for those 8 years.

And please spare me the "well, call TSSAA and be an umpire" line. That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, an umpire who had no business behind the plate in a key AAA district baseball game.

Compare and contrast last night's umpiring, mood at the ballpark, speed of the game and the quality of play and tonight's game and tell me the man in blue behind the plate didn't have an impact from night to night....

Edited by davidlimbaugh

your right, his strike zone was EXTREMELY small!half the time when both pitchers threw down the middle, it was also a ball.both pitchers threw great in my opinion.the cavs struggled to move the runners last night.it was sad watching that ump call such a bad game for both pitchers.like david said, i feel sorry for everyone that he has umpired for, i really do.good luck to all teams in the tournament.

I have been around baseball for 40+ years, and the homeplate umpire at the Riverdale at Cookeville game Monday night was, BY Far, the WORST umpire I have ever seen - period!

His strike zone was the size of a coke can.  he called one - ONE! curve ball for a strike the entire night.  We are talking about 2 pitchers with a record of 7-0 each this season and  each one had to practically sit the ball on a tee to get a strike called.  It was dangerous for the pitchers themselves, as witnessed by the comebackers caused by a strike zone that had to be 6 inches inside the black on both sides and had to be about 8 inches above the knees.

If that umpire has been calling for 8 years, I feel sorry for the players, coaches and fans involved in games he has called behind the plate for those 8 years.

And please spare me the "well, call TSSAA and be an umpire" line.  That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, an umpire who had no business behind the plate in a key AAA district baseball game. 

Compare and contrast last night's umpiring, mood at the ballpark, speed of the game  and the quality of play and tonight's game and tell me the man in blue behind the plate didn't have an impact from night to night....

825664661[/snapback]

His strike zone was the size of a coke can.  he called one - ONE! curve ball for a strike the entire night.  We are talking about 2 pitchers with a record of 7-0 each this season and  each one had to practically sit the ball on a tee to get a strike called.  It was dangerous for the pitchers themselves, as witnessed by the comebackers caused by a strike zone that had to be 6 inches inside the black on both sides and had to be about 8 inches above the knees.

And please spare me the "well, call TSSAA and be an umpire" line.  That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, an umpire who had no business behind the plate in a key AAA district baseball game. 

Compare and contrast last night's umpiring, mood at the ballpark, speed of the game  and the quality of play and tonight's game and tell me the man in blue behind the plate didn't have an impact from night to night....

825664661[/snapback]

I will tell you one thing David! It will come back to haunt you getting on coacht and bashing umpires, especially ones that you will see out at the ballpark in our area. Some way, some how, everything always comes back around. Yes, Seth and Will were both 7-0, but one of them had to lose. And anytime you leave the bases loaded with nobody out, and then again with just one out, and you can't get a run across the plate, cannot blame umpires. The man above said that he talked to the umpire, and that the umpire said that he had a bad game. But, I know your the type that likes to beat a dead horse.

I will tell you one thing David!  It will come back to haunt you getting on coacht and bashing umpires, especially ones that you will see out at the ballpark in our area.  Some way, some how, everything always comes back around.  Yes, Seth and Will were both 7-0, but one of them had to lose.  And anytime you leave the bases loaded with nobody out, and then again with just one out, and you can't get a run across the plate, cannot blame umpires.  The man above said that he talked to the umpire, and that the umpire said that he had a bad game.  But, I know your the type that likes to beat a dead horse.

825664765[/snapback]

Alright already! Enough! No one said that the ump cost anyone the game, all they said was that he was terrible. And he WAS, for both sides. And no one is making excuses for how the game ended up. Yes, it is a shame that it wasn't called any better than it was, because the two best teams in the district were playing each other. Personally, I thought Will and Seth fought hard. They weren't at their best because the umpire wasn't at his best, and that does change the game. Both teams played hard, and Riverdale came out on top. Period. End of story. Cookeville left 13 runners, and we know we can't do that against a team like Riverdale and win. We have no excuses, we just lost. The complaints about the ump though are legit from both sides. Don't waste your time David, this guy obviously has no clue about baseball and how the game can change when the zone is as big as a donut hole. Hope to see you again in Riverdale on Wed. in the Championship.

Edited by coach21

I will tell you one thing David!  It will come back to haunt you getting on coacht and bashing umpires, especially ones that you will see out at the ballpark in our area.  Some way, some how, everything always comes back around.  Yes, Seth and Will were both 7-0, but one of them had to lose.  And anytime you leave the bases loaded with nobody out, and then again with just one out, and you can't get a run across the plate, cannot blame umpires.  The man above said that he talked to the umpire, and that the umpire said that he had a bad game.  But, I know your the type that likes to beat a dead horse.

825664765[/snapback]

Now let me tell ya one thing, david almost NEVER, NEVER complains about the umpires in a game win or lose. David is as classy as they come, certainly not one to beat around a dead horse

I have been watching these boards for 3 years now and Limbaugh is a class act who has never said anything which is exaggerated or unfactual. So if he says he was the worst he had ever seen, then chances are the home plate umpire is the worst umpire in the history of baseball, because Limbaugh is very modest in his praise and criticisim.

I was at the game and the home plate umpire was inconsistent all night long both ways. He had no strike zone, he didn't know where it was and after speaking to both catchers he admitted to them the same. It is sad that these young men and coaches work so hard for months and then have to play a game that is officiated by someone who is inadequate and definitly out of shape.

And everytime you speak any criticism at all about umpires they get on here with this stuff about if you could do better then try it. Some of us know we are not fast enough, quick enough or in good enough shape-and since father time passed us by we can also recognize others who shouldn't be on the field in a umpires uniform, but they still put on the uniform and take the money.

The ump had nothing to do with the outcome of the game but he sure did affect the integrity of the game.

825664661[/snapback]

"If that umpire has been calling for 8 years, I feel sorry for the players, coaches and fans involved in games he has called behind the plate for those 8 years." Don't you think that is a little harsh??? I know it was bad & He admited he had a bad game. Wouldn't you hate to know that someone had judged YOU & EVERYTHING you had done over the years all because of a BAD DAY. Yes, I know it was bad timing......he had a bad day on a very important night. Do you really & truely believe he set out to ruin that game?? I know this umpire & he is a good person & a good umpire. I hate that the kids feel like it ruined their night & I know that is what upset most everybody but he didn't loose the game for the Cavs. They need to remember what the big picture was.......they had more than one chance to change the out come of this game. I know it wasn't fair to these kids to let calls behind the plate "take away" from the game but life isn't fair.

Edited by Turnadouble

825664765[/snapback]

Excuse me, but I believe this is a forum to exchange thoughts and opinions and observations. And if that umpire thinks he had a bad game, well, he was right.

Both pitchers made the adjustment of going to nothing but fastballs down the middle of the plate and both pitchers were the caliber of pitcher to still get kids out that way.

I used to do some umpiring myself and have also witnessed another occurance of a umpire ruining a game. Check out ASA's record book one day for most walks in a Co-ed NATIONAL Tournament. The number is 38 - I was the coach of one of the two teams that day - we had 20 walks, they had 18. We went 2-2 in the tournament with a grand total of 22 walks.

And I hope that if I ever do see the umpire in question again, he has one of his better games. I have already witnessed one of his bad ones.....

"If that umpire has been calling for 8 years, I feel sorry for the players, coaches and fans involved in games he has called behind the plate for those 8 years."  Don't you think that is a little  harsh??? I know it was bad & He admited he had a bad game. Wouldn't you hate to know that  someone had judged YOU & EVERYTHING you had done over the years all because of a BAD DAY. Yes, I know it was bad timing......he had a bad day on a very important night. Do you really & truely believe he set out to ruin that game?? I know this umpire & he is a good person & a good umpire. I hate that the kids feel like it ruined their night & I know that is what upset most everybody but he didn't loose the game for the Cavs. They need to remember what  the big picture was.......they had more than one chance to change the out come of this game. I know it wasn't fair to these kids to let calls behind the plate "take away" from the game but life isn't fair.

825664875[/snapback]

No one has said that the umpire lost the game for the Cavs. It helps to read what is being said on here. We had plenty of chances and didn't capitalize. Therefore, we lost. Oh, and it's spelt lose, instead of loose.

Edited by coach21