LOW CROWD FOR BASEBALL

cutie313

Loudon High School has the most student support ever. They do take it a little personal sometimes but they do have great student support for it to be baseball. But also these kids arent used to winning i mean 2-8 football and what did they win 5 basketball games. but they do show great support.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is once a week and on Friday night. You can sleep in on Saturday and there is probably less homework to do.

Basketball is in a controlled environment and is more of a party for the fans. The excitement at a basketball game is in the stands, not on the court. Please don't tell me that a dunk is exciting. If you do you are easily entertained. Basketball is a race against the clock in most games. It is too easy to score. You can watch the last two minutes and not miss anything. It's a circus.

The average person does not understand basesball and therefore does not want to watch it. You want to find out if a person is an athlete? Put a glove on their hand and throw some baseballs at them. Put a bat in their hand and see if they can hit a moving target.

Basketball players are well conditioned but they are not better athletes. Nothing can test your athleticism like baseball.

Why is it when there is a football game or basketball game the field/gym is packed, and when you are in the baseball PLAYOFFS you might get a few non related fans? The students at 12A host school were allowed to leave class (with a parent phone call) and NONE came.

Why when school let out and they had to walk to their cars right (by the field with their friends playing) none even stopped to check the scores?

Let me say that i was deeply disappointed in the fan support of Summertown. I dont have a child playing and I left work early to get to the games.

I do believe that fan support makes a difference.

Is fan support luke warm at other tourney's or is it just 12A?

825670766[/snapback]

It is baseball. Just something to pass the time for football to roll back around. You can see it when there are more people at a spring scrimmage than at a regional baseball final.

Football is once a week and on Friday night. You can sleep in on Saturday and there is probably less homework to do.

Basketball is in a controlled environment and is more of a party for the fans. The excitement at a basketball game is in the stands, not on the court. Please don't tell me that a dunk is exciting. If you do you are easily entertained. Basketball is a race against the clock in most games. It is too easy to score. You can watch the last two minutes and not miss anything. It's a circus.

The average person does not understand basesball and therefore does not want to watch it. You want to find out if a person is an athlete? Put a glove on their hand and throw some baseballs at them. Put a bat in their hand and see if they can hit a moving target.

Basketball players are well conditioned but they are not better athletes. Nothing can test your athleticism like baseball.

825671374[/snapback]

I could not agree more with this post. The 11AAA just finished Tuesday evening. Overton's ball facility was packed. The must of had 400-500 people at every game. Football, basketball and baseball are all great sport, but you can't compare them to one another. They are all so different.

825671374[/snapback]

I agree with the "put a bat in their hand and see if they can hit a moving target"....I beleive it was Ted Williams one of the greatest hitters ever who said "hitting a baseball is like walking through a room full of furniture that you've never been in before blindfolded" or something like that...he said that and he was good at it....hitting a baseball is by far the hardest thing to do in sports. I never played basketball but I can go out there and hit a few shots but put a bat in someones hand who hasn't played baseball since little league and throw 85mph fastballs at them then break off a few hooks. It would be something to watch.

825671374[/snapback]

I completely agree.....the average high school kid does not understand the game of baseball and with it being a thinking man's game, they dont want to take the time to try and learn more so that they can appreciate it. For the most part, high school athletic events are mostly social events, at least that is how it is at my school, and football and basketball are easier to watch for kids who just want to scream and be entertained. I am sure that if you asked those kids who play all three sports, they would say that baseball has the most skill involved.

I don't really count myself as a baseball fan, especially in relation to basketball and football, but I cam coming around on it and I really do think it's an acquired taste. The action of football and basketball are pretty simple and you can at least get a feel for the game by just watching it. Baseball is a horse of a different color, however, and there's not as much going on but enjoying it requires a fairly deep knowledge of the game. I took my girlfriend last night to the Ooltewah - Red Bank game and it was question after question about what was going on.

That being said, I don't think most students who come to sporting events events pay much attention to the game anyway. At least that's been my experience in student sections.

I think one of the main drawbacks to baseball is that it's outside and there is sometimes heat, sometimes sun in your eyes, sometimes bugs, etc. The bleachers, depending on the field, aren't too comfortable either.

Also, I'm not totally sure, but it seems like baseball isn't much of a cheering sport. At least in the sense that people start chants and can be loud and whatnot. Maybe that's just my limited experience though.

Although, one thing I will say, the price of admission at baseball games is much more reasonable than basketball and football games.