Milan-Harpeth

westtn2004state

I hate that the Milan seniors missed their graduation as well. I don't know this for a fact, but I assume that Harpeth is still in school since most schools around here do not have graduaton until next week. There may have been a parking problem with the students still in school if they had started at 2:00, so I guess the 4:30 start time allows the parking lot to clear out so that baseball fans would have a place to park - just my opinion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel bad for the Milan kids that won't get to go to graduation, but there are a few points that I would like to make.

1. Due to Harpeth still being in school it would be very hard to have the game at 2:00. (Parking, Getting kids out of class, Etc.)

2. Is it really fair for the Parents of all those kids to miss the game at 2:00 if they can't get off work.

3. Lets face it everybody graduates high school, but only a select few get to play for a chance to go to the state tournament. Personally I know that I remember more about the games that I played than about graduation.

Best of luck to both teams. The atmosphere that surounds a sectional game is special and you should enjoy it when you get the chance.

:) Harpeth scheduled this game? I don't think so. Weren't the brackets made before Harpeth won their game or Milan lost theirs? What if Milan had won? Wouldn't they still be playing ball on graduation night........in Milan? I would guess that Milan could have petitioned the TSSAA to have the game moved. Maybe they did. Either way, I don't see what Harpeth has to do with it.

I distinctly remember almost every pitch of my last baseball game as a senior 25 years ago. All I remember about graduation night was wanting to get out of there. That and all the rednecks blowing airhorns and giving a big shout out to Bubba........

:huh:  Harpeth scheduled this game?  I don't think so.  Weren't the brackets made before Harpeth won their game or Milan lost theirs?  What if Milan had won?  Wouldn't they still be playing ball on graduation night........in Milan?  I would guess that Milan could have petitioned the TSSAA to have the game moved.  Maybe they did.  Either way, I don't see what Harpeth has to do with it.

I distinctly remember almost every pitch of my last baseball game as a senior 25 years ago.  All I remember about graduation night was wanting to get out of there.  That and all the rednecks blowing airhorns and giving a big shout out to Bubba........

825678505[/snapback]

Don't know if Harpeth or TSSAA is responsible for time of game but whoever it is/was should have made an adjustment in this situation. If it is true that the Milan Director of Schools tried to get the game time changed and those in charge refused, a major display of lack of understanding priorities and disrespect was shown.

Let's see: a kid only graduates from high school once in a lifetime vs one of 120+- high school baseball games in which to participate. Which event plays the more important role in determining the kid's level of success in the game of life?

I guess i'm making too big of a deal out of this but something just doesn't seem right.

Don't know if Harpeth or TSSAA is responsible for time of game but whoever it is/was should have made an adjustment in this situation. If it is true that the Milan Director of Schools tried to get the game time changed and those in charge refused, a major display of lack of understanding priorities and disrespect was shown.

Let's see: a kid only graduates from high school once in a lifetime vs one of 120+- high school baseball games in which to participate. Which event plays the more important role in determining the kid's level of success in the game of life?

I guess i'm making too big of a deal out of this but something just doesn't seem right.

825678548[/snapback]

I'm not going to downplay high school graduation as a big event, but other than to move on to the next level, it's not in my top 10. I've got the UT diploma prominently displayed in my office, but my H.S. diploma is buried somewhere in an attic at my Mom's. Almost everyone gets a high school diploma of some kind if they just stick it out. Not everyone makes their high school baseball team or gets a chance to play in the sectionals. I wish I had another 120 high school baseball games to look forward to.........

825678548[/snapback]

I think any true baseball player would pick playing in a do or die playoff game than walk across the stage to get a piece of paper. I would of done anything my senior year to be playing in the state championship game instead of hearing a bunch of people tell us how these next few years will mold me and shape, stuff I already knew. But that is just my opinion.

Graduation stunk. It was so boring. The only good thing about it was knowing that I wouldn't have to go back there. I know playing baseball was sooooo much better than graduation. It isn't like they won't graduate. They will still get their diplomas. There isn't anything special about graduation IMO. Just a bunch of people giving boring speeches. Not going to graduation doesn't mean they aren't graduating. I think yall are making too big of a deal out of it. The players are probably enjoying not having to go to graduation!!!!

Just for the record: The game time for sectional games is set by the host school according the TSSAA sectional guidelines under "Post Season Tournament Information" on the TSSAA home page.

I will be calling in the score by 1/2 inn. to the coacht hotline #. His response to my question about him posting the running score was "OK". Brief and to the point. Thanks in advance. I will see if any radio people are there and provide their frequency or if they have internet capability.

Edited by PageMan

Thanks PageMan for clearing it up. It was lose/lose for Harpeth since they set the time. TSSAA sets the day, which is a coordination nightmare with the different graduation dates that are out there. Any earlier and the hometown fans would be screaming. Personally, I asked coach why we didn't play at 7:00 so we could fill the park. As it is, a bunch will get to the game in the middle innings.

They should not have to make a choice. Harpeth should re-schedule the game time so baseball is played and the kids attend graduation. Hopefully the Milan "TEAM" will use the show of disrespect (IMO) from Harpeth as a motivating factor.

825678382[/snapback]

If my High School baseball team was the defending state champions and I knew they could possibly reach the playoffs the next year, I would have made graduation on Saturday. That gives everybody all day to get ready and no chance of having a school function interfere with the graduation. Maybe the Milan administration should have had more forethought in scheduling the graduation. Great game, Milan has a class act team, the best of luck to your team next year.