The debate simplified

larry

I think all of you are missing the real deal here so try this on for size:

Parents who are involved with their kids go to t-ball, soccer, little league, gymnastics, dance, church, etc when their kids are small. They meet people who are also involved with their kids and have similar interests. Over the year, or years, they talk about what their plans are. (I mean, what else is there to do during a two-hour practice.)

Now, if these parents are from different areas of, say, Nashville then they are going to send their kids to different public schools. Some do exactly that. Other families decide they want their kids to go to school together. Their choices are to (1) move to the same public school zone or (2) go to the same private school. Private schools are expensive but so is moving. Choice two becomes the solution for many of them.

In the long term, there are some spoiled, arrogant, druggies who end up at private school. But, they are few and can be sent packing at a moment's notice, anyway. Most are good, responsbile, disciplined young people.

Now, where are all of the other 'problem kids"? They are at the public schools because (1) they can't afford the private schools and (2) their parents never took them to t-ball, soccer, little league, gymnastics, dance, etc in the first place and don't particularly care where they are now.

Yes, there are some great kids at public schools, too. the above is a generalization to make a point so don't get hung up in the details.

Of all the advantages of private schools the ability to do what I have laid out here is their greatest advantage.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, where are all of the other 'problem kids"? They are at the public schools because (1) they can't afford the private schools and (2) their parents never took them to t-ball, soccer, little league, gymnastics, dance, etc in the first place and don't particularly care where they are now.

Did you proof your post? Are you making a joke? Surely you are not serious!

Did you proof your post?  Are you making a joke?  Surely you are not serious!

825681026[/snapback]

There you go, getting hung up on the details. Yes, if the problem kids are not at the private schools then they are at the public schools and in much greater numbers. Why they are there is a generalization, there are many other reasons, but in the context of the earlier portion of my post you should have been able to understand my point.

I don't think anyone has argued the fact that these parents in metropolitan areas began sending their kids to private schools to avoid bussing and other public school issues in metro areas in what is commonly referred to as 'White Flight'. Those tactics are not required in rural counties where many of the public school participants also attend tee ball, soccer, litte league, dance, gymnastics, etc... These public schools simply do not have the ability to pick and choose who can attend and spend their dollars fund raising to allow their children the opportunity to participate in school athletics or other extra curricular activities. My issue isn't so much that the small privates are allowed to compete in the public division so much as the enrollment figures have historically been compared as apples to apples when it is not. Every child that attends a private school will likely have the grades, resources and homelife to insure a successful scholastic career while some percentage of the population in a small, rural public school does not have the same background or support system to allow that. Hence the need for a multiplier. Not every public school system needs or desires a private school environment to educate their child and it's not a fair comparision.

Every child that attends a private school will likely have the grades, resources and homelife to insure a successful scholastic career while some percentage of the population in a small, rural public school does not have the same background or support system to allow that.  Hence the need for a multiplier.  Not every public school system needs or desires a private school environment to educate their child and it's not a fair comparision.

825681087[/snapback]

If public school kids are so disadvantaged, why not apply the 1.8 multiplier to their GPA as well?

I don't think anyone has argued the fact that these parents in metropolitan areas began sending their kids to private schools to avoid bussing and other public school issues in metro areas in what is commonly referred to as 'White Flight'.  Those tactics are not required in rural counties where many of the public school participants also attend tee ball, soccer, litte league, dance, gymnastics, etc...  These public schools simply do not have the ability to pick and choose who can attend and spend their dollars fund raising to allow their children the opportunity to participate in school athletics or other extra curricular activities.  My issue isn't so much that the small privates are allowed to compete in the public division so much as the enrollment figures have historically been compared as apples to apples when it is not.  Every child that attends a private school will likely have the grades, resources and homelife to insure a successful scholastic career while some percentage of the population in a small, rural public school does not have the same background or support system to allow that.  Hence the need for a multiplier.  Not every public school system needs or desires a private school environment to educate their child and it's not a fair comparision.

825681087[/snapback]

White flight was not the reason that most privates started in Chattanooga, I can't speak for other cities.

Of the small private schools in the Chattanooga area NONE were started during the integration period. Boyd was started in the late 50s as an elementary school and slowly added grades until their first class graduated in 79. Temple has been around forever too. CCS started in the early 80s, Grace in the mid-late 80s, and the rest after. There is no 'white flight' involved...these are all Christian schools that began because parents wanted more emphasis on God in their childrens' lives.

So making a blanket statement that seems to imply that the small privates started to avoid integration is somewhat offensive to those of us who know that they did not.

I do agree that the classroom environment and parental and community involvement inthe small rural schools is much more like private schools than what we see in the large metro schools...thus the reason I think the small privates should continue in the same athletic leagues as the small publics.

The debate simplified is educational not athletics. Everyone on this board thinks it is for superiority on the field of competition when in fact the choice is made by parents for a atmosphere that promotes learning. Athletics is secondary.

If public school kids are so disadvantaged, why not apply the 1.8 multiplier to their GPA as well?

825681096[/snapback]

That's a stupid analogy. :lol: While the average GPA at a private school is probably higher than the average GPA at a rural public for the exact same reason there are more athletes, band members and cheerleaders to choose from, there is no exodus of public school kids to private schools in the rural areas for the most part.

The debate simplified is educational not athletics.  Everyone on this board thinks it is for superiority on the field of competition when in fact the choice is made by parents for a atmosphere that promotes learning.  Athletics is  secondary.

825681136[/snapback]

I don't disagree that the overall educational environment with athletics serving in a secondary role is the major focus of private schools and having a faith based education plays into that as well.

My point is that the multiplier is necessary because a private school will have practically 100% of their students available for extra curricular activities while the rural publics will not. I don't know if the ratio is 1.8, but there is a ratio. People that live in rural areas are not inferior as a class as bigmon would lead you to believe, <_< but they don't see the need to go to a private school when they are actively participating in a community based school which is similar to what the small privates are striving to have. In metro Davidson County, many inside the county lines opted for private schools to avoid being bussed all over town. There's nothing offensive about that. Many others left for the suburbs or surrounding counties to avoid the same thing. The downfall of the neighborhood school can be directly attributed to this phenomenon.

My biggest gripe competition wise is having my local public school placed with one other public school in a district that will include 5 small privates and play in the DI division. I'll never understand the logic and I've proven before that travel is a weak excuse.

I think all of you are missing the real deal here so try this on for size:

Parents who are involved with their kids go to t-ball, soccer, little league, gymnastics, dance, church, etc when their kids are small. They meet people who are also involved with their kids and have similar interests. Over the year, or years, they talk about what their plans are. (I mean, what else is there to do during a two-hour practice.)

Now, if these parents are from different areas of, say, Nashville then they are going to send their kids to different public schools. Some do exactly that. Other families decide they want their kids to go to school together. Their choices are to (1) move to the same public school zone or (2) go to the same private school. Private schools are expensive but so is moving. Choice two becomes the solution for many of them.

In the long term, there are some spoiled, arrogant, druggies who end up at private school. But, they are few and can be sent packing at a moment's notice, anyway. Most are good, responsbile, disciplined young people.

Yes, there are some great kids at public schools, too. the above is a generalization to make a point so don't get hung up in the details.

Of all the advantages of private schools the ability to do what I have laid out here is their greatest advantage.

825680936[/snapback]

Wow!! What are the Private Schools teaching you!!! "Problem Kids"!!! Also another intelligent fellow said that Public Schools should add the multiplier to their GPA. You're a real class act as well. A real "BIG" mon!!! I don't have kids myself but I will step in and say that some of the things stated are out of line. I'll never bash kids that go to Public or Private schools. Kids are the FUTURE. If you think Public schools are so terrible then help make them better don't knock them down. The Public School System is part of Democracy separates us from every other country. Every kid from the richest to the poorest has the chance to go to school for free unlike other countries where only the select few have that opportunity. Kids that come from poor families that have nothing have the opportunity to make better lives for themselves. Personally I think that is great!!! It's called the AMERICAN DREAM!!! I'm for it and I'm for "ALL" kids no matter their backgrounds!! And Sirs if you disagree or have any more negative things to say about any kids problem ones or not then take your upitty butt and go to ASIA I think I heard they're superb with teaching MATH and Business skills!!!!

White flight was not the reason that most privates started in Chattanooga, I can't speak for other cities.

Of the small private schools in the Chattanooga area NONE were started during the integration period.  Boyd was started in the late 50s as an elementary school and slowly added grades until their first class graduated in 79.  Temple has been around forever too.  CCS started in the early 80s, Grace in the mid-late 80s, and the rest after.  There is no 'white flight' involved...these are all Christian schools that began because parents wanted more emphasis on God in their childrens' lives.

So making a blanket statement that seems to imply that the small privates started to avoid integration is somewhat offensive to those of us who know that they did not.

I do agree that the classroom environment and parental and community involvement inthe small rural schools is much more like private schools than what we see in the large metro schools...thus the reason I think the small privates should continue in the same athletic leagues as the small publics.

825681125[/snapback]

i think they were talking about schools such as cpa,bga, fra just to name a few around the nashville area but in chattoonga there arent to many white flight schools