Harriman Fans Should Be Ashamed...

Opperman

Harriman had a dramatic come-from-behind win today over DCA, as I'm sure those interested have heard.

But to me, it was overshadowed by a group of about 10 or 15 Harriman fans chanting "CHO-KER" at the DCA pitcher. It was one of the most classless things I've ever seen at a high school game.

It's a shame, because the vast majority of their fans were good, supportive fans. But that's not what neutral people or DCA fans noticed today.

I saw one Harriman parent go over and tell them to quit it, but they ignored him and kept going the rest of the day.

Again, don't get me wrong, it wasn't most of the fans -- and Harriman traveled extraordinarily well. But that left an impression, and not a good one.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harriman had a dramatic come-from-behind win today over DCA, as I'm sure those interested have heard.

But to me, it was overshadowed by a group of about 10 or 15 Harriman fans chanting "CHO-KER" at the DCA pitcher.  It was one of the most classless things I've ever seen at a high school game.

It's a shame, because the vast majority of their fans were good, supportive fans.  But that's not what neutral people or DCA fans noticed today.

I saw one Harriman parent go over and tell them to quit it, but they ignored him and kept going the rest of the day.

Again, don't get me wrong, it wasn't most of the fans -- and Harriman traveled extraordinarily well.  But that left an impression, and not a good one.

825682152[/snapback]

Yeah, during the USJ game, heard one of their parents tell their pitcher to hit the USJ pitcher while he was batting. Guess that was the only way they were going to get him out of the game.

Way to go Blue Devils a Public School beats a private and here it goes dont let any of these posts or comments get you down keep playing hard...GO BLUE DEVILS... And I guess Harriman is the only real Public school that is left, also from three diffrent parents that have called me, say that maybe that some of DCA parents might want to practice what they preach. Enough about that GO BLUE DEVILS...

Edited by BBALLTN

Way to go Blue Devils a Public School beats a private and here it goes dont let any of these posts or comments get you down keep playing hard...GO BLUE DEVILS... And I guess Harriman is the only real Public school that is left, also from three diffrent parents that have called me, say that maybe that some of DCA parents might want to practice what they preach. Enough about that GO BLUE DEVILS...

825682204[/snapback]

I believe Opperman is a Neutral party that is the official scorekeeper at the Bartlett Field for all of the games. He was merely stating a non-partison fact about a few, "Not All", of your fans. He does not have a dog in that fight. Kudos to the "ONE" Harriman parent that had some common sense and saw how classless others were acting and tried to stop it.

I'm not trying to condone anyone's behavior, but I believe the parent who told his kid to throw at the pitcher did so after the USJ pitcher threw a fast ball just over and behind his son's head. I'm pretty sure it just got away from him, but I could see where the kid/parent would be mad.

I'm not trying to condone anyone's behavior, but I believe the parent who told his kid to throw at the pitcher did so after the USJ pitcher threw a fast ball just over and behind his son's head. I'm pretty sure it just got away from him, but I could see where the kid/parent would be mad.

825682288[/snapback]

Yeah, I can understand that. And again, I want to thank you for your help this afternoon.

BBALLTN, old timer is right...I don't care whatsoever who wins what. I'm a Bartlett guy, I have no preference among any single-A schools. I'm just telling you what happened.

Like I said, Harriman has a great crowd here, outstanding support for a school of just 400 students that's 340 miles away. But unfortunately, I can assure you that 99% of the people running things at Elrod Field will only remember one thing about Harriman. And that's the group of fans chanting choker.

The 1% is me...I'll remember that, I'll remember they traveled really well, but most of all, I'll remember how much fun it is to keep up with the defensive alignment with all the triple and quadruple switches. ;)

Yeah, I can understand that.  And again, I want to thank you for your help this afternoon.

BBALLTN, old timer is right...I don't care whatsoever who wins what.  I'm a Bartlett guy, I have no preference among any single-A schools.  I'm just telling you what happened.

Like I said, Harriman has a great crowd here, outstanding support for a school of just 400 students that's 340 miles away.  But unfortunately, I can assure you that 99% of the people running things at Elrod Field will only remember one thing about Harriman.  And that's the group of fans chanting choker.

The 1% is me...I'll remember that, I'll remember they traveled really well, but most of all, I'll remember how much fun it is to keep up with the defensive alignment with all the triple and quadruple switches.  ;)

825682308[/snapback]

Good luck to the Blue Devils.

The same group of kids asked me if anything would happen to Harriman if they rushed out on the field after the game and I told them probably not, but it would be better to just stay near Harriman's dugout because you never know when a few fans celebrating a win could turn into a brawl.

Luckily nothing more happened.

I do know that the umpirescame over and told Harriman's coaches to make sure none of their players were yelling choker, which they weren't. They said they couldn't do anythingto the crowd. Although the umps could have probably asked the fans (or had the coaches ask them) to stop heckilng or face removal from the game.

The same group of kids asked me if anything would happen to Harriman if they rushed out on the field after the game and I told them probably not, but it would be better to just stay near Harriman's dugout because you never know when a few fans celebrating a win could turn into a brawl.

Luckily nothing more happened.

I do know that the umpirescame over and told Harriman's coaches to make sure none of their players were yelling choker, which they weren't. They said they couldn't do anythingto the crowd. Although the umps could have probably asked the fans (or had the coaches ask them) to stop heckilng or face removal from the game.

825682363[/snapback]

The umpire can tell the coach that he'll be tossed if fans don't knock it off. I've seen it before, in pretty much all high school sports.

Harriman fans wish to apologize for the actions of one or two people chanting bad things to the DCA players. It was not 10-15 people as stated and we have asked the guilty parties to refrain from the activity. But also, the DCA fans also called Harriman a "bunch of rednecks". This is what started the whole thing. Hopefully the game will be played on the field today and all fans will cheer for their teams as they should.

We're so PROUD of our Harriman Blue Devils.

Harriman fans wish to apologize for the actions of one or two people chanting bad things to the DCA players.  It was not 10-15 people as stated and we have asked the guilty parties to refrain from the activity.  But also, the DCA fans also called Harriman a "bunch of rednecks".  This is what started the whole thing.  Hopefully the game will be played on the field today and all fans will cheer for their teams as they should.

825682455[/snapback]

It was a heck of a lot more than just one or two. I wouldn't have been able to hear it if it was.