whats happening in huntingdon

blue50

Johnny Compton passed on about a year ago. For everyone that was a player or a fan from that era on, its just natural to think about him when you think about great Mustang linemen. He was also a very memorable character. Huntingdon dedicates their football program to someone every year and I think it would be very fitting to dedicate it to Mr. Compton.

825696795[/snapback]

Hardhead70... I think that's a great idea. When Steve Barnett spoke at his funeral he shook his head and said JOHNNY COMPTON and everybody laughed. Steve said he was a good husband, father, friend, and a MIGHTY MUSTANG. There wasn't a dry eye in the church. After Johnny moved to Memphis, like a true Mustang, he always kept up with the team. Whenever two Mustangs get together and talk of old times, the name of Johnny Compton seems to come up.

Edited by Mr. Mustang

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aint it ironic that there were three Wallace Brothers and a Wallace Son that were starters on the three teams mentioned above. This is in a span of 37 years if my math is correct. thumb

825696813[/snapback]

There is a picture in the field house of Mr. D.D. Maddox on the Huntingdon team in 1918. He now has a great-grandson, Braden Maddox on this year's Mustang squad. Fourth generation Mustang.... More Maddox Mustangs in the lower grades... thumb

Edited by Mr. Mustang

Well, if ya'll will allow an outsider from across the creek (McKenzie) to put in a word here, first I didn't know that Johnny Compton was no longer with us. I went head to head with him a few times in games. Johnny was a good 'un. He was tough but, a great guy at the same time. Johnny and I sat and talked a few times in the summer and all we talked about was the next football season! I played against Tim Priest, Steve Barnett and Danny Wallace too. All great guys, great players and I consider to be good friends even though we haven't seen each other in years. Heck, I'll even throw Chuck Wallace in the deal.

Mr. Mustang, you're right too, Treva and Lisa probably COULD whip all the Wallace boys!!!!! And that is a tall order!!!

Back in those days, we went to war on the football field but, then we went huntin' and fishin' and partyin' together. Lot to be said for that. Heck, back in '63, my girlfriend was a Mustang cheerleader who was the first maid in the Homecoming royalty. She broke up with me because we beat Huntingdon in the Homecoming game. Her name was Wanda Anderson. BUT, we were still friends years later.

Anyway, a game between the '66 and the '03 Mustangs (in a time warp way if possible) would be interesting. The teams were a good bit different but, probably woud be hard for the other team to figure out and control. Both teams had very good athletes and very good coachin'.

As for Coach Paul Ward, every town around should have had a coach as good as he was!!! Most any of us who played and went to school back in Coach Wards day knew who he was no matter where you went to school.

What about that 75 Mustang team?

Pretty talented bunch.

Strengths, weaknessess?

825697090[/snapback]

Sorry thuth225,

Being from "up the road", I don't really remember that team as well as I do the other two. Is that the team that beat McKenzie 2-0 that year?? Don't mean that in a bad way. Just wondering. Who were some of the players on that team?

Sorry thuth225,

Being from "up the road", I don't really remember that team as well as I do the other two. Is that the team that beat McKenzie 2-0 that year?? Don't mean that in a bad way. Just wondering. Who were some of the players on that team?

825697094[/snapback]

Duckman.. The '75 team beat McKenzie 54-12. In 1981, the Mustangs beat the Rebels 2-0. The 1975 team had Bobby Ward, Ron Potts, James Arthur Harris, Mark Bush, Carl Wallace, Preston Hall, Brian Caton, and several other Volunteer Conference players. They were 10-0 and go to Memphis to play Bishop Byrne. The Mustangs score and go up 14-7. Bishop Byrne scores and misses the PAT. The referee flags the Mustangs for a player not having a mouth piece in and they get the ball again half the distance to the goal and score on a 2 point conversion to win 15-14. Here in Huntingdon it's called the "Mouthpiece Game" and is still a sore spot for Mustang fans. It was Coach Ward's last game!

I'm sure you're like most fans and you don't mind losing to a good team but to get robbed is another thing. WE WUZ ROBBED..... :)

i think the topic here is "what's happening in huntingdon" not "what was happening in huntingdon".... :) just kidding guys.. this is good to read about.. they should make a movie about all these stories and the way the charter buses pull up to the primary school in huntingdon before a playoff game and all the little kindergarden kids run out with mustang jerseys on with the biggest smiles on their faces. or the way it is when the entire town comes to the square for the pep rallies.. there's alot more i could say but most of you already know.

i think the topic here is "what's happening in huntingdon" not "what was happening in huntingdon"....  :)  just kidding guys.. this is good to read about.. they should make a movie about all these stories and the way the charter buses pull up to the primary school in huntingdon before a playoff game and all the little kindergarden kids run out with mustang jerseys on with the biggest smiles on their faces. or the way it is when the entire town comes to the square for the pep rallies.. there's alot more i could say but most of you already know.

825697171[/snapback]

You act like huntingdon is the only town that does stuff like that. You're not special....There's probably hundreds of towns in the south that come together and do stuff like that.

don't put words in my mouth and don't assume as if you know what i'm talking about.. this is purely for folks from huntingdon.. it's a "feeling" and there's a whole lot more to it than that.. i know other towns may do it but you dont have to come onto this thread and try to be all patronizing like that

You act like huntingdon is the only town that does stuff like that.  You're not special....There's probably hundreds of towns in the south that come together and do stuff like that.

825697179[/snapback]

Dawgman...

We're not the only town that "does stuff like that". But we are special... thumb