Power Clean

wbailey201

There is a great discussion going on on National Strength and Cond. Assoc.'s (NSCA.com) message board about the power clean. Several CSCC's from major college football programs are giving their points of view on this lift plus many others. How many people on this board are strength coaches(certified)? I think a lot of lifts are just passed down traditionally. By no means am I saying that the power clean or any others are blown out of proportion but I do believe that certain lifts are just done because it worked for other schools, players, etc. I think the power clean works but I am by far an expert on it. Not all workout programs work for every class that comes up. I do know that you have to tallor your workout program to the type athlete you have on the team. Just because Nebraska has typically had a high profile strength and conditioning program doesn't mean its going to work for every hs. And just because USC won the national champship doesn't mean its the best thing out although I bet alot of people were itching to learn about their program as soon as they won.... JMO

There is a great discussion going on on National Strength and Cond. Assoc.'s (NSCA.com) message board about the power clean.  Several CSCC's from major college football programs are giving their points of view on this lift plus many others.  How many people on this board are strength coaches(certified)? I think a lot of lifts are just passed down traditionally. By no means am I saying that the power clean or any others are blown out of proportion but I do believe that certain lifts are just done because it worked for other schools, players, etc.  I think the power clean works but I am by far an expert on it.  Not all workout programs work for every class that comes up.  I do know that you have to tallor your workout program to the type athlete you have on the team.  Just because Nebraska has typically had a high profile strength and conditioning program doesn't mean its going to work for every hs.  And just because USC won the national champship doesn't mean its the best thing out although I bet alot of people were itching to learn about their program as soon as they won.... JMO

825689264[/snapback]

If you want to check out the message board go to

NSCA-lift.org/forum, click of southeast region, click Oly Lifting&Athletic Power

If you want to check out the message board go to

NSCA-lift.org/forum, click of southeast region, click Oly Lifting&Athletic Power

825689271[/snapback]

the nsca website is a good resource to use. I've been certified(CSCS) for almost a year, and I agree with you on the fact that a workout might work for one school and not another. However, I believe in building a strength program around a few core lifts. Mine is bench, power clean, and squat. In addition to these emphasized lifts, I want my guys on their feet for their lifts such as snatches, push press, dead lift,etc. Like the old saying goes, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

I have just recently become a strength trainer and in my studies, and personal experience, I have found the Hang Clean to be a safer and very efficient workout for football players. First of all, a hang clean does not require the constant bending and over extention of the back, which is where alot of athletes have injured themselves. The hang clean is just as efficient as a power clean. It works the same essential muscle groups: Hips, legs, and shoulders. The only difference is your starting position; an excelent demonstration can be found atClick here Yes when done correctly, the power clean is an excelent workout, but like one post mentioned, when lethargia kicks in proper form can become lousy, and that is when people start to bend and use their backs more than is nessessary. When lethargy kicks in with a hang clean, there is really nothing you can do except to drop the bar which is a whole lot better than injuring yourself.

Edited by Fballman685

Yes power clean is one of the most important lifts a football player can do. It helps him on explosivness. The best way to get the best workout on power clean is too snatch it up and get under it very low so you have to front squat it up. This works everything, it will wear your legs out just like you were doing squats.

I have just recently become a strength trainer and in my studies, and personal experience, I have found the Hang Clean to be a safer and very efficient workout for football players. First of all, a hang clean does not require the constant bending and over extention of the back, which is where alot of athletes have injured themselves. The hang clean is just as efficient as a power clean. It works the same essential muscle groups: Hips, legs, and shoulders. The only difference is your starting position; an excelent demonstration can be found atClick here  Yes when done correctly, the power clean is an excelent workout, but like one post mentioned, when lethargia kicks in proper form can become lousy, and that is when people start to bend and use their backs more than is nessessary. When lethargy kicks in with a hang clean, there is really nothing you can do except to drop the bar which is a whole lot better than injuring yourself.

825690649[/snapback]

I don't have no fancy degree in strength training, but I've ran weight programs for years and the Hang Clean is a good training lift for the power clean, but not a substititue.

I players are doing the power clean wrong and you can't teach it properly then you probably shouldn't be doing it.... General rules for the powerclean include limiting weight to 75-80% of maximum on any given workout. Limiting reps to no more than 5 on any given set. Assign a coach to the station to constantly monitor form and address players on this. lower weights for novice or lazy lifters...nothing more embarressing in the wieght room than having the coach publically lower your weight b/c of sloppy form...Incoming Freshman spend the entire 1st lift cycle doind training exercises for the power clean...THe Broom stick is the heavisest "weight" they'll use the 1st 4-6 weeks. Its like building a house...good foundation is important.

If thats the case then why is power clean one of, if not the, most important lift along with squats that college coaches look at?

825686697[/snapback]

redneckandwhitetrashforever........

Evidently, you know nothing in regards of football or how to prepare for it.

Power cleans do not get above your head. That would be the clean and jerk that you are sputtering about. (jerk)

Power cleans are the best ground based, multiple joint movement for football.

The least important would be bench. When would a REAL football player mimick this motion? Oh yeah, when pushing himself off from the ground.

Read my brotha, read!!!! thumb

redneckandwhitetrashforever........

Evidently, you know nothing in regards of football or how to prepare for it.

Power cleans do not get above your head.  That would be the clean and jerk that you are sputtering about. (jerk)

Power cleans are the best ground based, multiple joint movement for football.

The least important would be bench.  When would a REAL football player mimick this motion?  Oh yeah, when pushing himself off from the ground.

Read my brotha, read!!!! thumb

825691382[/snapback]

Easy...Another guy said what you think redandwhiteforever said...redandwhiteforever just quoted another guy that said powercleans does nothing for you etc...What you have quoted of redandwhiteforever is what he said in regards to that one post I believe you thought he said or something like that...I hope you understand what i'm trying to say...lol...

I don't have no fancy degree in strength training, but I've ran weight programs for years and the Hang Clean is a good training lift for the power clean, but not a substititue.

I players are doing the power clean wrong and you can't teach it properly then you probably shouldn't be doing it.... General rules for the powerclean include limiting weight to 75-80% of maximum on any given workout. Limiting reps to no more than 5 on any given set. Assign a coach to the station to constantly monitor form and address players on this. lower weights for novice or lazy lifters...nothing more embarressing in the wieght room than having the coach publically lower your weight b/c of sloppy form...Incoming Freshman spend the entire 1st lift cycle doind training exercises for the power clean...THe Broom stick is the heavisest "weight" they'll use the 1st 4-6 weeks. Its like building a house...good foundation is important.

825691260[/snapback]

It is not a question on if I can teach it the right way, in which I can and am certified to do, it is a question of lethargy and mindsets. When an athlete gets tired, bad form will start to kick in. They dont want their teamates to see them fail so they do everything possible to get that bar up. Another point is that for the most part, athletes are more concerned with how much weight they can do, not form. I understand where you are coming from in regards to foundation. Believe me, the first thing that I teach a novice lifter is foundation and good technique. I am a private trainer, I dont run team weight rooms and I agree totally with your statement on limited reps and proper supervision. However, alot of football weight coaches push their players to over train and lift too much weight. This is when injuries occur, esspecially with the power clean. I like the power clean and would advocate it if more athletes pocessed our mindsets on technique and smart training. For the majority, this is just not the case. Another reason that I advocate the hang clean more is that it teaches explosion out of a two point stance. Alot of line coaches are enouraging the two point stance, esspecially in pass pro. As most linemen know, explosion out of a two point stance can be difficult. I can go on and on but my point is that alot of athletes are getting hurt from power cleans because it is the easiest workout to lose technique and hurt yourself on. I like the hang clean more because it does not put so much pressure on the back.

It is not a question on if I can teach it the right way, in which I can and am certified to do, it is a question of lethargy and mindsets. When an athlete gets tired, bad form will start to kick in. They dont want their teamates to see them fail so they do everything possible to get that bar up. Another point is that for the most part, athletes are more concerned with how much weight they can do, not form. I understand where you are coming from in regards to foundation. Believe me, the first thing that I teach a novice lifter is foundation and good technique. I am a private trainer, I dont run team weight rooms and I agree totally with your statement on limited reps and proper supervision. However, alot of football weight coaches push their players to over train and lift too much weight. This is when injuries occur, esspecially with the power clean. I like the power clean and would advocate it if more athletes pocessed our mindsets on technique and smart training. For the majority, this is just not the case. Another reason that I advocate the hang clean more is that it teaches explosion out of a two point stance. Alot of line coaches are enouraging the two point stance, esspecially in pass pro. As most linemen know, explosion out of a two point stance can be difficult. I can go on and on but my point is that alot of athletes are getting hurt from power cleans because it is the easiest workout to lose technique and hurt yourself on. I like the hang clean more because it does not put so much pressure on the back.

825692255[/snapback]

Intersting comments. Weight training is much like dieting ask, 20 diffent people what is best and your are liable to end up with 30 different answers.

The power clean been rightly known as the " athletes excercise " for about 3 decades now. The incidence of injury is actually lower than many other exercises particularly the deadlift , which many savy trainers avoid all together. It is a great exercise for most athletes though classic ectomorphs would want to be careful.

The simple solution to athletes attempting too much weight is to increase the amount of reps. Sets of power cleans in the 10-15 range can be very effective for building muscular endurance as well as cardiovascular endurance. The trainer and coaches roll is to stop the set when fatigue causes a break in form. In a nut shell the head should always be higher than the butt and the final reps should not resemble a reverse curl , the weight should be pulled with the back and trap muscles at the top of the movement with minimal involvement from the arm muscles.

Problems I have encountered with young trainees doing cleans have been more of an equipment and or facility problem than with the movement itself. Slick bars , bent bars , cramped gyms , and lazy athletes who drop or slam the weights are proably the cause of much negitivity associated with cleans.

• 17 years later...